Market Hours Confusion

I have been trying to understand when exactly the last market (New York) closes on fridays and when the first one (Sidney) opens on sundays, in GMT hours.

According to: Forex Market Hours | Stock Market Hours | World Market Hours
New York closes at 21:00 GMT - Sidney opens at 21:00 GMT

According to: Forex Market Hours
New York closes at 22:00 GMT - Sidney opens at 22:00 GMT

So whats the correct time? 21:00 or 22:00? Or did it changed at this time of the year because US and AU daylight savings?

Hello, trogster

The first chart that you linked to is almost unreadable, because the GMT times on the top of the chart are shown between the vertical lines, instead of [B]on the lines[/B] (where they should be). Also, the chart reads from right to left — which makes sense in regards to the map of the world in the background — but, it’s not the direction that most of us read, so it takes some getting used to.

It appears that this chart is [I]trying[/I] to show current market hours — that is, [I]market hours for northern hemisphere summer.[/I] At this time of year, Sydney and Toyko are on standard time, and London and New York are on daylight saving time. However, I won’t even attempt to explain how you could read the correct market times from the chart, as it is presented. Instead…

[B]Here are the correct times for the 4 markets shown in that chart:[/B]

• Sydney — 2200-0700 GMT (8am-5pm AEST, Australian Eastern Standard Time, GMT+10)

• Tokyo — 2300-0800 GMT (8am-5pm JST, Japanese Standard Time, GMT+9)

• London — 0700-1600 GMT (8am-5pm BST, British Summer Time, GMT+1)

• New York — 1200-2100 GMT (8am-5pm EDT, Eastern Daylight Time, GMT-4)

The second page that you linked to shows two tables of times, one is GMT times, and the other is EST times. Note that EST times refer to northern hemisphere winter.

These two tables both show the correct times for London, Frankfurt, New York and Chicago.

The GMT table shows correct times for Sydney; but, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Wellington are incorrect.

The EST table shows incorrect times for Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sydney and Wellington.

[B]Here is the correct information in Table format —[/B]

Trading Sessions | When Can You Trade Forex? | Learn Forex Trading

In Trading Sessions | When Can You Trade Forex? | Learn Forex Trading there are different times for summer and winter (I guess because of daylight saving), but how do I find out at which day that time changes on each continent? Is it always at the same date/time or it changes every year?

Here is a thread that I started last August.

It will walk you through the time changes which occurred in Fall 2011 and Spring 2012 — 301 Moved Permanently

[B]The schedule for Fall 2012 will be:[/B]

• September 29 — New Zealand — goes onto daylight saving time

• October 6 ----- southeastern Australia — goes onto daylight saving time

• October 28 — Europe, and the U.K. — return to standard time

• November 4 ---- the U.S., and Canada — return to standard time

I don’t know how to post this image but there is a great Infographic here which helped me to understand the trading hours. It also has a few other bits of information relating to the trading volumes at each time of day. Hope it helps! - Infographic - The Trading Hours Of Forex | London Forex Open

Hello [I][B]forextc,[/B][/I]

You have replied to a thread that’s been dormant for almost 2 years. The Table of Forex Trading Sessions, which I linked to in my post (above), has been revised often during that 2-year period.

Here is a link to the current, up-to-date Table — 301 Moved Permanently

Notice that we are in the midst of the “spring transition period”, during which various countries go onto, or off of, Daylight Saving Time on various dates which are not coordinated with each other. This means that the actual session times change several times during March and April each year, before normalizing for the summer. Then they change several times in September and October, before normalizing for the winter.

As of today (Tuesday, March 11) the graphic which you posted is correct for GMT times in the London and Tokyo sessions, but [B]incorrect for GMT times in the New York and Sydney sessions.[/B]

For correct GMT session times for these 4 markets (plus Wellington, Singapore and Zurich) refer to the line labeled “GMT” in the upper portion of the Table linked to, above.