A Glossary of Terminology from the ICT Threads

Agreed Clint you do some great work on this site. Very much appreciate all you do to make this a great place to learn

ICT might be the man on BP, but when it comes to a defacto research ‘guru’ you can hang your hat on Clint. None finer!

Thanks, guys — but, that’s enough of that.

If you have any additions to the list, please post them here.

Ok Mr Eastwood markets are closed and I am not feeling so lucky tonight. I have nothing to add in the way of abbreviations but can you more refine HTF/LTF to better pin down what it is referred to I.E. Monthly, Weekly, Daily and 4hr (cant remember if ICT refers to the 1hr as HTF). Also refine STF as anything less than already stated.

Dont mean to nit pick but I have seen some on here pretty much refer to the 1hr as long term investing. Every time I see this I about fall out of my chair.

Hey, Bob

I’m struggling with just how much detail to put into each entry.

Initially, this was going to be a glossary of [B]abbreviations,[/B] only. For example, [B]BE — break-even.[/B] Period. No explanation of the rationale for moving SL to BE , no explanation of how to figure the spread into the break-even price, no discussion of how far price should clear the break-even level before the SL is moved to BE, etc.

The idea, in other words, was to treat these abbreviations (BE, in this example) like foreign words, so that a newbie who has never seen that abbreviation before can use this glossary to find out [B]for himself[/B] what it means. But, beyond that, I wasn’t going to try to write a Wikipedia entry, to summarize Michael’s teachings about BE. I’ll leave it to the newbie to track down what Michael has taught.

But, then, the scope of the glossary expanded somewhat. I started including some terms which are not abbreviations (like confluence, or sweet spot) — terms that have special meanings or special applications in the ICT methodology. And, all of a sudden, I found that I had to write definitions, like a dictionary, not just expand abbreviations. And, that’s a whole 'nother task.

I’m willing to attempt one-liners, where these definitions are concerned. But, a one-line definition can’t summarize what Michael has taught on any subject.

And, to address your request specifically, HTF and LTF are matters of judgement, based on a trader’s individual trading style. A day-trader and a long-term swing trader will disagree on what constitutes “higher” and “lower” time frames. So, there’s no quick and dirty answer to the question, ‘What is a higher time frame, and what is a lower time frame’. But, just for you, I’ll attempt a couple of one-liners.

As I said in my post, this is a work-in-progress. So, there will be lots of opportunities to fine-tune this thing.

Thanks for your suggestion. I hope you don’t think that I’m sandbagging you here. It’s just that this project could easily expand into something too big to manage.

Thanks a lot Clint. You post on Killzone really helped me a lot and now this info. It’s really amazing man. Thanks once again.

Hello Clint!

Nice Job on this thread…

Taking a quick look…and…If I remember well, by ICT’s definition a fractal it’s a pattern of 3 consecutive candles…but MT4

platform needs a 5 consecutive candle to plot a fractal…

And I don’t see the Reflection pattern…

Thank You…

GLGT

I remember a few more…:smiley:

Monthly and weekly pivots…
Swing Point…
Divergence type 1 and Divergence type 2 ( hidden divergence )…
Trend Line…
Day Trade / Day Trading…
Swing Trade / Swing Trader…
Position Trade / Position Trader…
OHLC- Open High Low Close…

Going to sleep a little bit…

GLGT

Thanks, velho

It might be a day or two before I’m able to deal with your list. But, I’ll get to it.

Well, I knew it would happen.

The Glossary on post #1 of this thread is pushing the 15,000-character limit for post size on this forum. To make room for additional information, I’ve had to remove a couple of paragraphs from the introduction at the top of that post.

Eventually, all of the intro will have to go. After that, post #1 will begin with the heading “ICT Terms and Abbreviations”.

Then, if further additions to the Glossary cause it to overrun the size limit again, I’ll have to move the list of Perf Charts to the end of this thread.

Hi Clint,

thank you very much for your Glossary.

The exercise as described by ICT beginns with: “Note the daily highs & lows of one pair”

Does this mean - from 0:00 - 24:00 ore from some market opening to market closing?

Hello, nichess

[B]Daily highs and lows are based on a 24-hour day,[/B] not on a 9-hour trading session.

The question then becomes which 24-hour period should we use?

Michael (ICT) uses [B]midnight-midnight New York time.[/B] But, he also refers to [B]midnight-midnight London time.[/B] There is a 5-hour difference between New York time and London time, so these two definitions of a 24-hour day are very different. Nevertheless, both seem to work equally well, and Michael says you can use either one.

In the case of daily pivots, Michael often looks at both “New York pivots” (based on midnight New York time), and “London pivots” (based on midnight London time), and he compares them to see whether price is conforming more closely to one, or the other.

(Note that Michael refers to midnight New York time as “midnight EST”, and he refers to midnight London time as “midnight GMT”, regardless of the time of year; in other words, he ignores daylight saving time (between March and November).

I use a different 24-hour “trading day” from either of the two that Michael uses. I use [B]5pm-5pm New York time [/B]as my forex trading day, and as the basis for my daily pivots, and my daily highs and lows. And I can tell you that this works just fine, as well.

Your trading platform might be adapted to one, or the other, of these 24-hour periods, making that period the convenient choice for you. You can check into this simply by observing the time at which your trading platform opens a new daily candle each day. If, for example, your trading platform opens a new daily candle at midnight GMT, then you will probably want to use midnight-midnight GMT with all your ICT tools.

You disappoint me SIR lol I get what you mean especially if you are almost out of room on the first post. It just I have seen so many traders treat a 5 minute chart as if it is a weekly. However I do see your point that if this is the case you definition really is not going to help them.

Carry on your good work. If I may suggest one thing though if you do run out of space since the rest of these posts are not all that important could the mods not delete them all so you have the second post? I would hope they could just somehow give you more room/secind post without deleting all the posts as simply in instances the my request if they read it I have already defined it better so you dont have to add it.

Or if someone offers a good write up on a definition just add a (see post#) on the first page. Reason is for instance the reflection pattern. Your description is pretty good I guess but I have never really seen what it is or know anything about it. So let say someone was to do a good write up on a reflection pattern or RP :stuck_out_tongue: even if it were on another ICT thread. We copy and paste it here then add the end of your definition (see post #150) (dont actually look I made the number up) and then get the wikipedia answer that would be cool as hell.

Just tossing some ideas out there

The Glossary has grown to 2 pages, now on post #1 and post #2 of this thread.

My thanks to [B]sladhaFX,[/B] a contributor to this thread, who graciously relinquished his post #2, in order to make room for the expanding Glossary.

No doubt, the Glossary will continue to grow as Michael continues to teach. If we run out of space again, I’ll just move the whole thing to a new thread, with the first 4 posts reserved for “future use”. But, for now, it’s all good.

There are 5 or 6 entries which still have no definitions. But, that will be attended to.

If you find errors or omissions (other than those 5 or 6 entries), please post your findings here. Thanks.

Hi Clint,

Just discovered your very precious work in respect of ICT’s threads, which I am still going through. I thank you most heartily for your precious time and effort. Am very grateful and greatly appreciate it a lot.

A small question and I would greatly appreciate it if you can help please. I had bookmarked your posting re different time zones for both daylight and non daylight savings, however have lost it for some reason and am unable to find it. Would it be possible to send me a link to it please. Am going bananas without it as it was invaluable info.

Also can you please forward me a link of your kill zone posting referred to by gr8888 in post 11 here above, as I need further clarification which I am sure I can glean from your post.

I thank you in advance for all your help towards all of us, am very grateful and greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

DrFeelgood,

Thanks for the kind words.

Here are the links you asked for:

301 Moved Permanently — 7 trading sessions in 27 time zones

301 Moved Permanently — Table of ICT Kill Zones

The Glossary has reached its size limit.

It has filled the first 2 posts of this thread to capacity (max post size allowed on this forum:15,000 characters per post).

So, in order to allow the Glossary to grow, while keeping it all together in one place, I will transfer the entire thing to a new thread, dividing it into 3 consecutive posts, with a fourth post reserved for future use (if needed).

I’ll make this switch later tonight, or tomorrow.

The name of the new thread will be slightly different from the name of this thread, but you’ll recognize it right away.

If the new thread is popular and useful, then it will bob to the top of the forum from time to time. This thread will eventually sink out of sight.

thanks Clint, you have done a fantastic job!
it would be awesome if you could add some general guidelines considering the order we should watch ICT videos etc.
To be honest i’ve seen many posts from The Man Himself , with accumulated videos etc but i’m not sure if i follow the right order.

Sometimes Clint the words ‘Thank You’ seem so inadequate for what you chaps do, but it is very much appreciated the time you set aside to do this for the good of others. best Jacqui

[I]Powerslave[/I] and [I]Jacqui,[/I]

I appreciate your kind words. Knowing that this project (the Glossary) is useful to other members of the ICT community encourages me to continue the project.

[I]Powerslave,[/I]

Regarding your request that I present some guidelines on the order in which you should watch the ICT videos, I haven’t decided how to answer you. In my opinion, that topic doesn’t belong in the Glossary that Im compiling, although I might attempt an answer here, at the end of this thread. As I said, I haven’t decided. I’ll get back to you on this one.

Hi Clint,

Much obliged buddy. You’re the man !!!

Very grateful and greatly appreciate your hard work and the precious time you take out of your very busy schedule to help rookies like myself to someday become proficient and successful traders.

Thanks a million mate !!!