Trading Is Not A Fashion Contest - Great Articl

Hello everyone,

I came across a very nice article by Chris Capre. I would like to extract few important parts of this article for your concern.

“There seems to be some fascination with newer/beginning traders to find this perfect setup, this small set of circumstances that give price action the appearance of a great trade opportunity. You’ve probably heard about these patterns and setups before, often referred to as Pin Bars, Engulfing Bars, Inside Bars, etc.
Beginning traders become hypnotized, thinking these price action patterns are all you need learn to trade the market, as if trading were a fashion contest, and your goal is to find the best dressed setup.
The problem is, this is a really confined view as these patterns are more often the result of order flow – not the cause of it.”

How many times have you seen a picture perfect setup that completely failed? I’m willing to bet dozens of times, and if you trade long enough, hundreds or thousands of times.
Why is that?
Because trading is not a fashion contest where you are looking for the best dressed setup. Because price action setups can and will fail, which should communicate to you – not to become fascinated with finding the perfect price action setup.
What it should mean, is you want to develop your ability to read the overall picture of the market, understand the order flow behind it, learn to read the impulsive and corrective price action. Then, look for an over-weighted scenario. Once you find it, check the math to see if it’s favorable. If so, then take the trade.

If you are always on the hunt for the perfect setup or trade, you will likely be completely missing high quality signals passing by right in front of you.
The greatest mistake of higher time frame traders is they often do not take great trades that are right in front of them, because they are waiting for the ‘perfect‘ setup – one that will hit them over the head.
The problem is in passing up these trades, they are also passing up high quality signals that offer a mathematical edge and profits.

Ironically, the greatest fallacy of intraday traders is they will often take trades that are not there, or not of high quality. Although it may seem like the former is better than the latter, both are the same!
The higher time frame trader makes a lot less profit because they pass up really high quality signals, looking for their perfect match.
Meanwhile, the intraday trader while often having more profits, generally has slightly more losses, because they are taking trades that are not there. Their upside is higher for executing their edge more, but the extra losses pull them back.
Thus, when you really see this clearly, these are two sides of the same coin! The trick is to find the balance and wisdom of the two, not to stay on one side of it. This is the knot of trading you have to untie.

Same Setup – Different Result

There are many times several of my price action traders spot the same exact setup, yet end up with completely different results.
How could that be?

Because they managed the trade differently. One took profits a little early (but still ended up profitable), while the other caught a huge portion of the move.
Although it may seem like this one trade may not mean much – it means a lot if its repeated.
When trader A encounters a series of losses (and you will, regardless of your strategy), their downside will be more severe and they will take more time to recover. However when trader B encounters the same downside period, their recovering will be faster, because they padded on more alpha to their trading account. For them, it only takes a few large wins to erase a lot of losses.
Keep in mind, they both spotted the ‘perfect price action setup‘, yet they both had different levels of profits.
What was the difference? In how they managed the trade.
This should be communicating to you, what is far more important than finding the ‘perfect’ price action setup, is learning how to manage the trade. And this really comes down to three things;

1. Understanding Risk Management
  2. Learning to Read Price Action In Real Time
  3. Managing Your Emotions/Mental State

Perhaps you can find the perfect setup, but fail to do the three above, & your perfect setup is powerless to deliver consistent profits. Bells should be going off in your head now about what you should be spending your time studying. It’s not how to spot a pin bar, or engulfing bar, or some other magical bar. It’s about setups, price action and context.
These pin bars, engulfing bars, or any bars are easy to find, and take little mental effort. The learning process for this should be short.
But the learning process for the three things I listed above prior, should be never-ending.
I understand why many of you have made this mistake. There are these so called ‘authorities‘ and ‘masters‘ (notice self-labeled as no peer will call them that), who claim you only need 3 of these ‘setups’ to understand the market. That these great setups only occur on higher time frames, that intraday price action trading is to be loathed, that accuracy and profitability has a linear relationship with time frames.
Ah yes, and don’t forget the three golden setups – how convenient! As if a market with over a million participants, composed of retail & institutional traders, hedge funds, banks/brokers, pension funds, HFTs, intraday traders, swing traders, long term position traders, etc. are all subdued by these overlords of price action patterns.
High quality signals occur on every time frame, and there are profitable traders across the world trading on almost every time frame. Intraday price action trading is not to be loathed – that is just a personal feeling of some, while a ATM machine for others.
Who is right? Neither – thus don’t hate intraday trading because it doesn’t work for you. The greatest mistake a trader can do, is to think their world and thoughts about reality – ARE REALITY! As if your wisdom and insight is so brilliant, so total, so complete, that it has a monopoly on the truth about trading.
Does that sound reasonable to you? Or does it seem more likely there are many ways to trade successfully, and the best way is what’s comfortable for you.
Just remember, what may be comfortable for you, may not be for another, and neither one individually is reality by itself.

Heed the wisdom of Obi-Wan Kenobi who once said, ‘Only a Sith sees in absolutes‘. Don’t be the Sith in trading, or follow a Sith.
Find wisdom in things, then find what is most comfortable for you, while constantly challenging yourself to take things to the next level. Rarely ever where you start this journey (both in trading and in life) is where you end up. Thus remember, trading is not a fashion contest, but it is about managing risk, your mental state, and learning how to read and trade price action in real time.

You can check the article here at - Trading Is Not A Fashion Contest | 2nd Skies Forex

I am 100% agree with the article above. Most of the time I am looking for a “perfect setup” mostly in 4hr tf to enter. Due to this I have missed some signals in the lower time frames. As mentioned in the above article sometimes I ended up with a loss even though I caught a so called “perfect setup”.

Apart from the trying to find the perfect setup I still also have issue with the managing trades. Sometimes I exited early and never let the profitable trades run. As a result If my one or two trades went against me I have to put some extra effort to recover the losses.

So for me this article is an eye opener to consider some of the valuable points mentioned here. I would like to see other members comments on this article.

Hello Alanamc,

whoa, for a moment I had deja vu seeing this title. then I thought you copyrighted my content :-ooo

but no worries, I am glad you enjoyed it. It was meant to be provocative and challenge some ideas about trading and how beginning traders tend to miss the fact that there are many high quality setups, yet they are busy rating them on the fashion scale to see if they are model perfect, and if not, they often pass on them, missing really high quality setups and tradable charts.

your job as a trader is to exploit those opportunities, not be waiting for something to hit you on the head, which I demonstrate in the article is less effective and profitable then it may seem.

Anyways, thanks for sharing mate, and I’m interested to hear traders comments/feedback on this.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Hello Chris,

Well, I mentioned about this article on your thread and may be you were early to see this thread before that. I don’t have any intention to copy this. But I decided to create a separate thread for this article as I felt that this article will helpful for newbies like me. Really nice to see you in this thread. :57:

No worries mate, much appreciated :slight_smile:

[B]Trading Is Not A Fashion Contest[/B]

Oh is not? Oh wow, I thought those colorful red and pink lines that I draw for my S and R, the long extended fib, my fancy sequin indicator are all part of this “fashion contest”…lol

Thanks for sharing… it is a good read…

I will also add:

Even though you think you do have a set-up/strategy in place (not perfect but it’s there) you don’t know if it will bring you the winning trade(s) that you are aiming without a good enough experience to use them. There’s a reasons why we make mistakes early on because we don’t know what we don’t know until we are there making mistakes and correct them. The only way we can protect our yourself is by taking a small amount of risk when we trade that we can handle …That’s all we can do… The rest is by experience that’s why it takes time…a long time sometimes…

Talking about staying in fashion… You have this profile pic for more than a week now… When are you going to change it a again??? This is so 2012… :wink: [To be honest, your smile on it is contageous.]

LOL…Well, I am actually thinking about changing it again… but we shall see… It depends on my mode. Thanks!

A good article, and one I can agree with. I always wondered, for example, why pin bars had to “close” within the previous candle’s range, besides looking aesthetically-pleasing. As a poker player, I also wondered why “non-perfect” setups should be skipped even though they may still provide an edge over the long-term. It’s like folding JJ or AQ. We all want to be dealt AA, but you are still likely to profit in the long-term just playing JJ. That’s my understanding anyway.

Hello Kevin,

Dang - very well said (being a poker player myself). People seem to make trading a fashion contest, that if they are not holding pocket rockets, or a big slick, they fold the hand, even though they may have pocked Jacks or AQ which is still a really playable hand you can make money and have an edge from over time.

And yes, missing all those hands will lower your profitability, so good insight indeed!

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Very nice article Chris. Totally agree with the most of the points mentioned here. This will probably help me to modify my current trading style. Looking forward to see more and more articles.

Nice to see you guys enjoy the article hear. :slight_smile:

"…[B][/B]Because they managed the trade differently. One took profits a little early (but still ended up profitable), while the other caught a huge portion of the move.
[B]Although it may seem like this one trade may not mean much – it means a lot if its repeated.[/B]
[U]When trader A encounters a series of losses (and you will, regardless of your strategy), their downside will be more severe and they will take more time to recover. However when trader B encounters the same downside period, their recovering will be faster, because they padded on more alpha to their trading account. For them, it only takes a few large wins to erase a lot of losses.[/U]
Keep in mind, they both spotted the ‘perfect price action setup‘, yet they both had different levels of profits.
What was the difference? In how they managed the trade.
This should be communicating to you, what is far more important than finding the ‘perfect’ price action setup, is learning how to manage the trade. And this really comes down to three things;

1. Understanding Risk Management
  2. Learning to Read Price Action In Real Time
  3. Managing Your Emotions/Mental State"

This is absolutely huge as something people should really let sink in. I recognize this from my experience as a professional poker player, and horse race bettor, even with out much experience in forex. But I absolutely know beyond a shadow of any doubt how huge it must apply to forex too.

Hello Laughcrime,

Yes, its a big thing new/beginning traders seem to get caught up in. And how ironic you are a poker player - I seem to be getting a lot lately and have two former pros studying with me.

We were just talking about it, whereby the beginning trader/player is only looking for AA or AK suited, and muck all the other hands, while a good player will get JJ and make a ton of money from it, or AQ and still play it well. We don’t muck those hands just because they are not AA, AK or our top tier hands.

Sure, we all want pocket rockets, but a skillful player knows how to play those hands and make money over time.

It is exactly the same in forex, and am glad you came to this recognition as well.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Thanks perryfx

its a critical subject that many newer traders have gotten hypnotized by, and causes them to pass up perfectly good opportunities to only trade the fashion contest winners, which actually hurts profits long term

kind regards,
Chris Capre

I am not your biggest fan Chris but even I got to say nice article. You just cant deny the truth when it is right in front of you.

Good job

not my biggest fan :-ooo
oh my…jk
please be whatever level of fan you wish
i support you being whats most comfortable and natural to you

but thank you for the positive comments on the article. hopefully the article has some merit and use to others

kind regards,
chris capre

Totally agree with you.

Good article. That is actually what i am trying to accomplish: i define some criterie for some price patterns and the consider nuances that could give me clues what price will do next in particular pattern.

It is not easy, because there is so much to consider… but I believe it is the right approach.

Hello ArtjoMS,

At first it can seem overwhelming, but after some experience and good chart time, these things will just pop out at you.

If you can learn methods to read and trade price action in real time, particularly the impulsive and corrective price action, you will find yourself more often on the right side of the market. This is the most important base model and criteria I use - am I on the right side of the impulsive moves, and trading against those making the corrective moves. If you can do that, then you’ll find yourself in the right direction most of the time which is key.

From here, there are a handful of other tools you can use which are pretty easy to learn, such as finding key support and resistance levels, are there also additional signals confirming the importance of the level, etc.

So hopefully this gives you some helpful tips.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre