What Would A Mentor Have To Do?

In light of recent events, which I [B][U]REALLY DON’T[/U][/B] want dragged out and regurgitated here, a thought occurred to me.

To prove, beyond any possible question or reproach, what steps would a mentor have to take to PROVE that they talked the talk and walked the walk?

This is only a question and I’ll probably only add a few posts myself on the subject, but I thought it was worth asking.

My own thoughts, (admittedly I don’t know if this is possible or not,) is that someone would have to video themselves take live trade entries, explain why they took those entries, post them on here and link the whole thing to some sort of public access site so it could be verified that ALL trades were being shown and not just the “good ones”

Is that possible or is there more that would be required???

Like I said at the start of this, please please don’t drag out news that has been hashed over and over a million times, no-one really cares anymore.

If you can’t answer, or offer an opinion, [B][U]THAT DIRECTLY RELATES TO THE QUESTION[/U][/B], please don’t answer at all.

Thanks in advance to anyone who does offer a helpful response

A mentor should be humble, accesible and inspiring.
A true mentor can not keep Information and Knowledge (thus, power) for his own.
There is a Zen quote that goes : “when the right students ask it, the mentor will appear”.

Right well since the very first reply to this has fired off on another bought of ICT stuff that’s my involvement here finished.

I thought it was a fairly legitimate question that stood at least a small chance of avoiding all that garbage again, but apparently not.

Bye.

HoG as you said a Mentor should be the person who teaches you the theory behind a strategy and let you see [B]real time[/B] the trades that are taken in a primary account.

The mentor shouldn’t have to prove anything, it should be the other way round. Ideally your mentor would be someone you have known in real life for a fairly long time

didn’t mean to spam, i’m deleting the post so everything is restored back to normal.

Hello Mr Mentor

blushes

Actually, a mentor doesn’t have to walk the walk.

He most have good knowledge of tactics to use and when to use them.
She must be able to identify what mistakes I make.
It would be helpfull when he provides examples.
It would be ideal when she sat next to me when trading live.

He was doing well as a mentor, but it was messed up with the walk the walk proof.

My highschool geography teacher was able to learn me a lot of stuff about the earth, but I am almost certain that he didn’t visit all those places himself.

Thank you for the edit powerslave

I think the babypip bloggers here need to step it up a little more as mentors. They’ve been here all along and since I presume they get paid somewhat to be here with some having established reputations, they should be a bit more trust-worthy. I know MG doesn’t think they’re very good traders…lol…but I’m sure they’d help clarify all the stuff in the school that’s all fine and dandy in theory. We still see a lot of “now what?” type threads when newbies have finished. The site has pretty much gifted the scammers with a pool of eager followers easily to be led astray.

I’m surprised they don’t take a more active role. I can’t recall the last time I cared to read one of their blogs. And yes, they are horrible as traders. The nice thing is that they don’t try to hide that fact.

I think a mentor should be polite,helpful and willingness to help. A mentor should lead by example and provide as much training or advice as possible to new comers
Rakesh

I think that this is a very poor analogy. Your geography teacher was preparing you for EXAMS, not to travel the world. A better analogy would be an expedition guide - you would certainly hope they have been to the mountain/jungle you are going to, otherwise you would be in trouble.

A forex teacher is not teaching you for the purpose of passing forex exams, he is teaching you to make money in the REAL world.

A mentor needs to have a proven track record (over at least a year), be able to communicate why he traded the way he did, and it needs to be consistent.

a mentor is a good coach that helps you improve. you dont expect football coaches to hop into the field and play.

so if you gain nothing of value, then you have a bad mentor. if you dont know what you want, you cant even find a mentor.

There are coaches, teachers and mentors.

I have a mentor. It goes beyond conversations of just business. It encompasses my faith, my personal goals, and my relationships with others. This person has my overall best interest in mind and guides me along the way. This person also has a lifestyle that to some capacity i aspire for myself.

Agree.

People who teach science, maths, or what ever else teach theories and facts based on evidence. You can follow the evidence back to it source if they are talking about population or geophysics it’s always based on evidence. In this trading there is a lot of bad material and people talking about ideas that are just not based at all on reality.

If I was ever to believe a person and what they are telling me to do I would need to see proof of that idea working either on my own or their account.

No proof no truth.

Also as MG99 has pointed out above a teacher is different from a mentor. I agree, although I guess my point applies to teachers.

to go in-line with this post- a mentor teaches you how to be a better trader than before, he doesn’t teach you how to trade. That’s what teachers do. Now if you want a teacher, expect to pay if you want proof, because with you offering nothing, you can’t expect to get the cream of the crop. Why should a successful trader want to train someone for free when he could be using that time to **** around, play, go on vacations, or trade?

The most important roles of a mentor is [B]serving as a teacher[/B] to the novice.

[I]A good mentor is someone who:[/I]

1. Leads by example.
  2. Has seasoned experience in your field and willling to share skills, knowledge and expertise.
  3. Has integrity.
  4. Shares similar values.
  5. Gives advice based on experience.
  6. Listens.
  7. Has good contacts (a network).
  8. Helps you learn what they didn’t teach in school – or the practical aspects of your career/business.
  9. Desires to help others succeed.
  10. Has positive experience.
  11. Has a good reputation for developing others.
  12. Has time and energy to devote to mentoring.
  13. Has up-to-date knowledge.
  14. Has a learning attitude.
  15. Knows your strengths and abilities.
  16. Wants you to succeed.
  17. Wants you to be independent.
  18. Is a continuous learner.
  19. Communicates hope and optimism.
  20. Provides guidance and constructive feedback.
  21. Is respected by colleagues in the organization and the professional community.
  22. Sets and meets ongoing professional goals.
  23. Values the opinions and initiative of others.
  24. Motivates others by setting a good example.

Let see what else…hmm…thinking :slight_smile:

A mentor should encourage a student to let go of the need for a mentor.
Ultimately we have to think for ourselves.

I disagree. My mentor has a mentor.

Wherever you aspire to be, find someone already there. Someone willing to help you get there.

We are social beings. On your own, you simply won’t reach your full potential.