Statistics in Technical Analysis

I hate to see this thread die. Especially after my post. I truly believe in quantitative research and evidence based TA. I don’t know if it’s just this community isn’t ready for this type of material or just plainly isn’t interested. I was planning on doing more post as time went on and discussing others findings. But there hasn’t been anymore shared. I could post a some of my work here but I feel it would high jack the thread if I was the only one sharing . So if there are people still interested in that kind of work I may split off in my own thread just for that or I hope to see more people share here. Like I said in my original post about this my thread and this type of topic always die. If anyone can give me insight into why that would be great. Is there truly no interest in scientifically repeatable and statistically significant results???

I am interested, but the problem is that to post on this thread, I would expect myself to have something insighful to add that includes research I’d done, which I can only do at a minimum. It is a really good thread idea, but I wonder how many readers want to do that kind of research, and for the ones that do, I imagine some don’t want to share wha they find. I’m interested in what you have to say MeiHua, so wherever you wind up sharing, I’ll subscribe. I’d like to see this thread continue, so I’d hope for it to be here, but obviously it’s not my thread.

Hehe, yeah, mee tooo :slight_smile:

Since the last time, I have tried to make my own seasonal analysis, check this out(almost guaranteed not accurate though:/ =

The green line is data for 2013, big purple one is total mean, blue one is the mean for the last 5 years, red is the mean for the first 5 years of the study…

Havent tested many TA ideas yet, still trying to grasp R :wink:

It would be nice to have all the stat related posts located here in one central location. It would beat jumping from thread to thread IMO. I will post a few things that are candle pattern related in the near future. There may be very few interested but that will be their problem.

Why do these types of threads die? For a number of reasons. I happen to like knowing that my chances when doing X are greater than my chances when doing Y or that doing Z is a statistics-declared disaster so I should avoid it. Some don’t care. Also, many if not most methods in trading are quite subjective. It is hard to quantify subjectivity.

Anyway, I am all for giving a bit of CPR to the thread.

No I am very interested in seeing the research you and everyone else has done. I made the thread specifically for people from all possible trading approaches to share their understanding of the markets with the evidence that supports their opinions. Post away I enjoyed reading what you shared and i’m sure others did too. Contributing is not hijacking this thread.

This type of thread will never be popular, there is no leadership or structure in place to follow, no plan to make the readers rich, just a place to share what you find and the evidence that supports your claims and see if you get useful/useless feedback.

While I started the thread I have little to contribute as the field is not something I am experienced in, but I find that sharing ideas about real evidence is a great way to learn and or demonstrate ideas.

What exactly are you calculating? its not really clear. How are you isolating the seasonal cyclical factor and then parsing the data to calculate? why over the last 5 years first 5 years and total mean? are we looking for drift? considering that the euro is not say like corn, crude or other commodities which are locked in through either natural or fundamental cycles. i think it would be hard to resolve a drift with fundamentals. Though I am not certain your data speaks to that. Also how many years and what data feed was using in your study?

Hi, sorry for the unclear stats, I was just trying to produce my own seasonal tendencies… The data is for the 2001 - 2011. And the close price is transformed with rate of change…

Well I was actually going to post my own seasonality study although calculated completely differently then above. Its still quite redundant. Although I will show my seasonal volatility study that goes along with the price trend. This uses Euro/Usd data from 1999-2012. I am calculating the % change of each month for the volatility study, also introducing the max and min volatility values as well to understand the bounds as well as the average itself. Just because richard brought out his R skills, I should I would use it to. I am such a sheep. It is the most powerful stats package around. Although most of this kind of work can be completed in excel, as it is not very demanding. But playing with R is fun :stuck_out_tongue:

What did I take away from this:
Well the range of volatility from min to max is huge, i mean sometimes we explode. Most of this huge upper bounds comes from the last 2 years due to the euro crisis etc. The min values are fairly stable. But I think most of the information can be garnered from the Average volatility line (Black). Most people claim that the “summer doldrums” are here and its time to take a break and go on vacation. Well there is some merit to that, as June seems to be the least volatile month of the year, both in the average and max category. Although July and August are about average, on par with April, and February. May is on average the most volatile month, instead of the winter time. Although Jan, September and December are still up there. So to take a queue from Mythbusters, I would say the summer doldrums is, plausible. Why because you do have the lowest volatility of a single month of the year, but the surrounding months are not nearly as low as to be completely out of line with the rest of the year. Taking summer as June, July and August, compare that to 3 month period of February, March and April. The numbers are remarkably similar, but you don’t have the spring doldrums. So can summer be a low volatility time for the Euro/Usd enough to stop trading for an entire season, possibly. But on average its comparable to several other months of the year where people would consider that level of volatility able to be traded.

Any theories as to why the max volatility for Dec is off the chart like that? I have always assumed there was an end of year winding down period but it looks like max, min and average all steadily climb from Nov on.

Interesting.

It is cool to see interest in this topic. I spend most of my time trying to statistically analyze my systems. I would like to post some of my findings here. Below is a glimpse to what I do.

stops and Profit Target:

Every system has the chance that the trade will move against the position and price usually does for at least some amount of time. In trying to determine how far I should set my stop I thought, “I wish I could measure the average number of pips the market moves against me.” So I dug out the old college statistics book and after a year of playing with statistic this is what I’ve come up with. Basically, I model my mechanical system in excel and collect the number of pips, max and min, that the trade moves in both directions for the life of the trade.

I do this over and over again hundreds if not thousands of times. Which looks like what you see below:

(If you look at the bottom left corner you can see that I have over 60,000 data points)

I then mine this data using EasyFit 5.5 Professional (Student Version). This program uses advanced statistics to fit the distribution. They are anything but normal!

Here you can see that the stop analysis fits the “kumaraswamy” distribution…

Above you can see that there is an 83.34% [P(X>x1)=.83342] chance that my stop will not be hit or stated another way there is a 16.65% probability that I will be stopped out if I place my stop 30 pips away from my entry. Of course I use this method for limit placement and a combined analysis of stop and limit data historically and randomly.

You should take a look into John Sweeny’s work on MAE and MFE, its basically what your measuring. Also Thomas Stridesman (could be someone else but i think its him) life cycle of a trade, which uses sweeneys MAE and MFE .

Just from looking at the numbers 2012 was extremely volatile, the fiscal cliff in tandem with the euro crisis has increase volatility in the winter time. I think that explains the max vol, basically anything on this time scale monthly seasonality, is going to be fundamentally driven. But if we look at the averages, because we are using 13 years of data, the winter time is highly volatile but not as spiky due to 2012. But yes, that would confirm that DEC JAN is a great time to trade, which I have always traded, minus Xmas to new years.

Thanks MeiHua! I’ve never heard of John Sweeny or his work. I think I might have to get his book. I searched for him and his work looks interesting. Do you have any experience with MAE MFE?

As I’ve been looking at this data and trying to place me stop and profit target I have been trying to get as close to a 1:2 risk:reward ratio as possible. Last week after a year of playing with this I was reading about Hoosain Harkener and his goal of 10 pips a day. He stated that he was about 90% accurate and that his risk was double the reward. He would place his stop 20 pips away and take profit at 10 pips.

Using a mechanical system that I have tested I found that if I set my stop at 60 pips there was only a 10% probability that I would get stopped out before the trade ended (ie it hit its profit target or I got a signal for a trade in the opposite direction). On the other side of the trade I found that there is a 54% chance that the trade will go 90 pips.

Here is my stop analysis:

And her is my target analysis:

So I currently have a 50% accuracy with after about 2 months of trading, which isn’t that large of a sample.

As I read about Harkener’s method I began to wonder if I were to set my stop at 60 pips and take profit at 30 pips (i.e. 2:1 risk:reward with a theoretical accuracy of 80%) what would that do to my account. So I build my own random number generator and Monte Carlo system in excel. I found that if I was to use my standard 2% risk the gains were consistent but the slope of the gains was significantly less than the 1:2 r:r method I’ve been working on, shown above. However if I risk 5% to 10% of my capital, with a 80% accuracy, the profit curve becomes parabolic. I’M NOT ABOUT TO TRY THIS!!! But it is interesting.

I’ll try to up load my spreadsheet for anyone who wants to play around with it. Also I’ll try to make some graphs today on risk of ruin.

Wow, interesting analysis!

MeiHua, could you show your seasonal study, and explain it, I have tried to figure out how to do it on my own, and my results show that :stuck_out_tongue: I would love to dissect yor way of doing it and learn a little :slight_smile:

For the record, I have no statistical background, so dont trust me at all!

Yes, I am familiar with his work and use his concepts of MFE and MAE very frequently in my system development. I think that for stop and profit target placement its probably the best tool around, other then straight up optimization. Although its kind of an optimization in itself because you are deciding which trades to cut off, or to ring the cash register. But as with anything in system development, its all curve fitting. Its a question of how much and at what point is this robust.

I don’t really want to get into very specific details to be honest, because its going to high jack this thread. I feel this thread is about doing statistical or quantitative analysis on pairs that can be shared. Not system development. IF you want to start your own thread about your system you can share there.

Alright guys now you can take a look at how I personally analyses of seasonality. To be perfectly honest, this is much better for commodities which have an intrinsic cycle governed by nature say corn, soybeans or wheat, and for things that have a fundamental yearly business cycle to them, for example energy products. When we consider currencies especially EUR/USD which is a gathering of many different countries all with different resources, business cycles, and policies. For me its hard to conceive that a cycle would be stable, or at least grounded in something so fundamental as to be in the bed rock of the instrument.

However this is not a forum on any of the products that best fit this type of study, so i had to go with the best analogue. USD/CAD why because its a comdoll with some correlation, i note SOME, with crude oil. Which has cyclical properties. So as an example I thought it would be best to use this, as the cycle will probably be much clearer than if i used EUR/USD.

Lets take a pause for a second and I am the first to say there is a lot going on in this picture. Its probably overwhelming for some of you who don’t do this study or have never seen it before done this way.

Lets get into my procedure, I used data going back to 1993 - 2013 on the loonie. Using daily prices, I then calculated the average price of the month and the median price of each month, giving each month about 30 points of granularity, 120 if you count Open high low close. I don’t believe the closing price of the month as a single point is particularly representative, because a lot of price shocks can occur and resolve in that time. Then I analyses directional and volatility patterns, this is shown in the first chart on the upper left. The bar above or below the zero line shows direction, size of the bar is the % change, indication volatility. Basically an expanded study of what I had showed earlier, which is the same work behind it. I then created an average cumulative seasonal change, basically isolating those average movements to give us an idea of how they may build on themselves through out the year.

Its important to note the percentage of increasing months while looking ath the seasonal directional patterns. This is because the seasonal directional pattern may be caused by a large price shock, so if we can correlate that with the actual percentage and they line up we can take it as another step towards confirming the bias, as opposed to a straight average which can be skewed with a large outlier.

The bottom left chart shows the monthly medians, this chart gives us roughly where on average each month trades at, although I don’t put much weight on this one as a bias or where we should be trading. I am looking for things that are very much out of line, say take the month of April, its largely out of whack higher than most months. But <50% of the time April is an up month, and the seasonal directional pattern shows this. So I can be lead to believe there was a price shock somewhere in the past in april, which can be studied further.

IMHO the most important information comes from the middle right and bottom right. I created a linear model and then extracted the residuals. I then plotted the residuals over time to give a chart of the detrended price. This is highly important because i need to isolate the cyclical seasonal factor, I can not allow a sustained trend in the instrument to overwhelm that. So by using linear modeling I take the overall trend of the instrument and then remove it. As you can see these points oscillate around the zero line. Now I then reparse the residuals back into its respective time and dates then create an average of all the residuals from that month. This gives me the best representation of the cyclical oscillations of the instrument. It moves around the zero line, and in general follows the seasonal directional patter outline.

So I decided to post this study, again something that I use in my other trading. Mostly futures, and equities where we have a lot more diversification. I thought I would try it on 11 forex pairs and see what we have. SO lets start with the nuts and bolts, what is Fractal Efficiency, for those more mathematically inclined it is given by this formula

where n is the period, and P is price.

How did i measure this, I used the last 365 days of the pairs eur/usd, gbp/usd, aud/usd, eur/gbp, hkd/jpy, nzd/usd, usd/jpy, usd/chf, nzd/cad, usd/cad, chf/nok. I then took a moving window of 20 1 hour bars and calculated using the formula above, then i took the average of all calculations to come up with the FE of the past 365 days.

So what does FE measure, it measures what i consider to be noise to signal, how much up and down motions do we need to get from point A to point B that could be drawn in a straight line. Basically a perfect trend would be a straight line from bottom left to upper right, or upper left to bottom right from point A to point B, noise creates spikes in this perfect trend that make it less efficient travel, which we see as the bounces up and down, and eventually get from point A to B but have a lot of “wasted movement” in between. This measures that difference, with 1 being the best at a perfect trend and 0 being all noise.

Unfortunately because all of these are currencies, we dont see any stark difference, if we were comparing different commodities, futures, equities of different sectors and activity, and/or fixed income then you would see a HUGE difference. Unfortunately FX is very uniform and basically 1 “sector” so to speak.

Basically, what we can see here is this, there is basically difference from trading any 1 currency to the other, unless they are very exotic, CHF/NOK. Even HKD/JPY stands in the middle of the range. So patterns that arise on the majors, which actually have the LEAST amount of noise, which is quite an insight. I would never have imagined that, usually the more liquid and highly traded the more noise.

So we have the adage that if you can trade fiber and cable then you can translate that to other pairs, well if we consider that the efficiency ratio or signal to noise of basically all majors and even most exotics are very similar. This means that if you can extract the correct amount of signal out of fiber to trade it profitably you will be able to extract enough signal out of most other pairs to trade them profitably as well. I mean even if you are trading CHF/NOK its only 10% less signal than say fiber.

This can be also used to measure the effect of HFT, HFT generates a lot of noise, with major index futures have less than half of the FE value of these FX pairs. So the signal to noise ratio is very low, caused by there constant pushing of price in small areas. So I would presume that the amount of HFT that’s in the spot FX market is significantly less than what exists in the equity index markets and possibly others.

Now that is truely interesting. I would have assumed the majors to be fairly constant in relation to each other with pairs such as HKDJPY and CHFNOK to be on a completely different planet. Great stuff.

Still unfamiliar with it. But will follow ur lesson MeiHua. I wanna learn more bout ur volatility research

And thanks for ur effort makin this topic :slight_smile:

Continuing on my signal to noise study and the effects of randomness. I thought i would address a question I think every trader asks him/herself at some point in their career is this. [B]Are the markets purely random?[/B] Is there anyway to really beat this thing? There are hundreds of books on the subject, and it has been evaluated highly in academic circles for many years. So I thought I would bring my thoughts on this subject to you.

I am using the daily time frame for this experiment, and data from 1/1999 to 3/2013. My measurement is auto correlation, it is used specifically to find patterns in noisy data, so geophysical events like rain fall, volcanic lava flows, or detecting signals in white noise or sine waves. So I think it is perfect for this, because after all we are [U]assuming at this point the market is random,[/U] therefore it is entirely noise. My auto correlation measurement uses the 50 day look back as a reference point, and then checks if the right hand side of the chart, 1-20 most recent bars (days) have any correlation at all to the last 50. I used a 95% estimated confidence factor to then separate the data given by the function 2/sqrt(N) so basically any measurement > 2/sqrt(N) will give a 95% significant positive correlation, and a measurement <-2/sqrt(N) will give a 95% significant negative correlation. I then summed up all of the significant data points both positive and negative and divided by total number of data points. giving me the results below.

Wow, these results are basically astonishing. So lets take it step by step here. What do these results mean. Basically if we had 100% noise our ratio here should be 0, NULL, a big goose egg. It would all be 100% pure random noise with each bar being an IID and not related at all to any of the previous bars. Every single pair from exotics to the majors has a greater than 50% auto correlation. What does this mean? It means 1 in every 2 bars is caused by actions in the recent past, here given by a 50 bar look back period. So basically if you filled your chart with the most recent 50 bars, the most recent formations in the 1-20 bars on the right hand edge are related to whats already occurred. Isn’t that fantastic!

So lets think about that for a minute, Now we have a screen showing only 50 daily bars. That means in the next 1-20 FUTURE bars, we are going to have a >50% chance that its going to be some how related to what we are seeing on our screens right now. Which gives premise to Technical analysis, and all other chart related studies. If this was not true, then no matter how hard you looked at your chart, you would never have any idea of what would come in the future. Therefore your best estimate of any given future price, is the current price.

lets take a look at the pairs here. In the previous study i posted I theorized that the majors should have MORE noise than the crosses. In this case, fiber is actually the TOUGHEST pair to trade. Because its past is the LEAST representative of any future prices in the next few bars. Its right there next to an exotic that probably no one on this forum trades, HKDJPY. Another surprising result is that EUR/GBP is the most representative of its own future. Which to me implies that the USD is the “noise” maker so to speak. as GBP/USD is also lower then EURGBP.

In conclusion, are the markets totally random. I can say based on this analysis NO they are not. They contain information that can be exploited in the near future. This effect is apparent across a wide variety of pairs, from majors to exotics. So I would believe it to be systemic, and not just a fluke. So to all of you out there who don’t know what to do, and think this game can’t be beat. Well heres your proof, there is signal in these markets, and they are related to the future in a statistically significant way. Now all you got to do is figure out a way to exploit it. Good luck everyone.