What is the difference between a Stop and Limit Order?

Yes, What is the difference between a Buy/Sell Stop and Buy/Sell Limit Order?

Sometimes I have to put a “Pending Order” cause am not a full-time trader and am not sure if I must put a Buy/Sell Stop or a Buy/Sell Limit Order.

I don’t see the difference!

Thnx for your reply! :slight_smile:

OK, Very Good Questions my friend.

[B]Sell and Buy Stop Order [/B]-

Well a Sell and Buy Stop order is an order which is placed in the platform and is not yet executed until the market price has reached your defined price.
Sell Stop Order is Always placed below the current market price,
Buy Stop Order is Always placed above the current market price.
Now When the market reaches the defined price, it executes and becomes as a market order.

Eg: Suppose after 1 hour, you have a meeting to attend, and you analyze and predict EUR/USD will go up in next 1 hour, due to some news and such alike. Ok what you do is set a Buy Stop order. Say Current Market price is 1.2600 and you set it at 1.2620. So when the market price hits the defined price set by you to Buy and execute, it will become the market order.

Sell and Buy Limit Order in next post…

Thnx [B]philipwa[/B] for your clear explanation! :wink:

… but am still waiting for your next post about Sell and Buy Limit Order… Remember, I wanted to know the difference between the two.

can i say…
that stop order is to limit the losses?

Sell and Buy Limit order is viceversa to the Sell and Buy Stop order

In Sell Stop order you place the order below the market price
But in Sell Limit order you place it above the market price

In Buy Stop order you place the order above the market price
But in Buy Limit order you place it below the market price

E.g.
Say you are focusing EUR/USD currency pair again, and you do all your calculations, see technical analysis and all, and say the Resistance i see for EUR/USD is at 1.2700. So what you do is Set a SELL LIMIT ORDER at 1.2700 so when the market price reaches there, it takes the position as Short Sell, and if the market goes down you in profit.

Hope i have been clear :slight_smile: Happy trading

If I can help also :

The STOP and LIMIT orders have different purposes.
STOP is to do with LOSSES and LIMIT is to do with PROFITS.

The STOP order is set if your trade goes against you and you are making a loss. In this case you need to allow only a certain amount of loss, otherwise it could be huge.
So you need to put a “stop loss” order in, or, in short, this is called a STOP order. With a STOP order, you are resigned to your loss but you have put a very wise halt to it.

With a STOP order you can decide beforehand how much you are prepared to lose, should the trade go against you. Just set the STOP at the required level.

Now the LIMIT order is something quite different. The word “limit” can be deceiving here. It basically means “at this price only and no other price”

The LIMIT order can be used to enter trades - You set the entry price and the trade is entered at this price only and no other price.
The LIMIT order can be used to exit trades when a profit is made (yay!). You decide your profit and set your price to exit the trade. The trade is closed at the this price only and no other price.

With a LIMIT order you can decide beforehand how much you want to gain assuming the trade goes well. Just set the LIMIT at the required level.

Regards, Tymen Wortel, Perth, Western Australia.

Thnx [B]philipwa[/B],

Yes, your explanation is very clear for me, I understand fully now so thnx a lot! :wink:

@[B]singaporefx[/B], Stop order is NOT to limit the loss, only Stop Loss limits the loss. Stop Order could be either a Buy/Sell Order where you set your entry price.

@[B]tymen1[/B], I appreciate your infos but I would say the same thing than above: I was talking about Stop Order (Buy or Sell Order), not about Stop Loss which is where you limit your loss.

I know we can easily make the confusion between these definitions so I sum up here:

Stop Order is where we set the entry price (Buy or Sell).
Take Profit is where we set our profit.
Stop Order is where we limit our loss.

Sell Stop Order is placed below the Market price.
Buy Stop Order is placed above the Market price.

Sell Limit order is placed above the Market price.
Buy Limit order is placed below the Market price.

It tooks me time to fully understand all these definitions but I got it now.

… am still in the (never ending) learning process… lol! :smiley:

Its nice my friend, you understood very nice by my explaination. Glad to see that. Any Questions, just feel free to ask .
Happy trading…

Can i say that buy and sell stops are more for trend continuation?
Buy and sell limits are more for trend reversals?

A buy limit is when price is above, and when it (if) falls to your entry point, your order is placed, sell limit is when price is below and rises to your entry point and your trade is placed. Limits are used when you anticipate price will reverse.

A buy stop is when price is below your desired entry level and as price goes up, your order is place. A sell stop is the opposite, price is above your desired entry point and as it falls, your order is placed. Stop orders are used when you anticipate price to continue going in the same direction.

Stop orders are not to be confused with Stop loss because they are not the same thing.

Sorry tymen, but your are talking only about the GFT platform, which is somewhat unique

Where can I find in School of Pypsologie all info about stop loss, limit orders buy & sell???
Tnxk Bernbeach

Simply put, a Buy or Sell [B]Limit [/B]order is placed if you expect a reversal such as when S/R lines hold. Buy or Sell [B]Stops[/B] are done if you are expecting an extension of the current direction such as when S/R lines are broken.

So is the simple truth that a STOP or BUY placed around a current market entry will protect losses and or take profits and CLOSE the trade?

and a limit will actully open a new trade?

[B][U]Types of ForEx Pending Orders[/U][/B]

I’m trying to get these clear in my mind so that I’m not fumbling around when I want and need to use them (quickly).

Most of the examples that I see use the conditions of active orders already being in place.

I’m going to use the example of a 'channel or ‘band’ between prices of 225 and 175:

If the current price is between these two prices and in the ‘channel’, if one wants places a ‘Buy Limit’ order then they would set the purchase price at 225 with the idea that it is going to continue rising and one will make (further) profits from going with the trend.
Likewise if they set a ‘Sell Limit’ order at 175 then the pending Sell order would be placed at 175 with the idea that the price will continue to fall and one will (continue to) profit from it.

If the current price is above 225 and a Buy Stop order is placed at 225, then when the price drops to 225 the order will be placed with the idea that the trend is going to reverse and one will profit from this.
Alternatively in a ‘Sell Stop’ order placed at 175 and the price rises to this point, then a Sell order is placed in hopes that the price will reverse and drop again.

I see references to pending ‘Stop Orders’ being used to limit losses when a trend has gone against one. Implicit in this is the fact that their is already active orders open, so why not just set the SL or TP accordingly to limit ones losses. One has to place a pending order a minimum distance set by the broker at the time the pending orders are placed. If Pending Stop orders are placed to limit losses, then the minimum losses will be higher because of this than if one just changed the SL point of the current active losing trade.

From the reading I’ve done on these, I get the impression that pending Stop orders are generally placed in efforts to limit occuring loses. But this really doesn’t make any sense as if one is going short and the price is rising and one places a Sell Stop order, they are going to lose more money if the price continues rising as it has been. The reverse for dropping prices on open Buy orders. In this case. It only makes sense to place a Buy Limit hedge order to try and recoup the loses one lost by the trend going against them.

It seems to me that these are valuable if one wants to set trades up if and when they hit the desired future conditions and one doesn’t have to sit around and watch and wait to see if they occur to place these orders.

The term ‘Limit’ seems confusing and counter intuitive as it implies the same thing as a ‘Stop’ (Loss) order in that it is ‘limiting’ ones loses.

So am I on the right track or just getting ‘in deeper?’

[B]Thanks for any and all assistance,
[I]DougRH[/I][/B]

Hello, Doug

Try this — 301 Moved Permanently