YET Another Newboy

Yes, thats me I am sorry to start my thread with aquestion thnat must be so obvious to everyone else but not me…

If we deal in pairs, which is the seller and which the buyer. If for instnace US trade figures are poor and the the value of the dollar goes down, what effect would it have on the cable -gbp / usd. Until I can get my head around that fundimental, I cant go anywhere.

All / any help sould be great.

Regards,

Pasper

I myself am quite new but I think it goes like this- You have a currency pair and you can either sell the first currency and automatically buy the second, or you can buy the first currency which means you are selling the second. This is why you have the bid and ask price, you have to decide if you are buying or selling based on your predictions (you buy if you think currency will get stronger, you sell if you think currency will only get weaker, so you want to get rid of it)
This is something I found on the internet, so it might be better explained: :-)In forex you trade currencies. So you have to pay something to buy something else. You pay a currency to buy another currency. You sell a currency against another currency. To be able to do that, they have created currency pairs. For example EUR-USD is a currency pair. In each currency pair, the first currency is the commodity and the second currency is the money. In EUR-USD, the first currency which is Euro is the commodity and the second currency which is USD is the money. When you buy EUR-USD, in fact you pay USD to buy Euro. No matter in what currency your forex trading account is. You can have a trading account in USD, GBP, CAD or any other currency. When you want to buy EUR-USD, your broker changes your trading account capital into USD and then pays that USD to buy Euro.
When you buy EUR-USD, in fact you pay USD to buy Euro or you buy Euro against USD. In forex market it is possible to sell EUR-USD even before you buy it.
I hope this helps a bit :smiley:

Hi nence,

Thanks for the very quick response.

For a ‘newbie’ you seem to have grasped the workings of forex very well.

I’ll now have to sit down and understand what you have tried to explain to me.

Thanks for the trouble.

Regards,

Pawper

Workings very well

This is the 1st video I watched. I don’t know if they’re selling anything. I’m not vouching for that. But this video helped me when I started. Good Luck
Gp

I’m sorry but I don’t seem to find the link to the video, and I would really love to see it…maybe some of my doubts are explained as well :slight_smile: Please, if you can, send me the link, if it’s not too much of a trouble… Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. New computer stumbling through anyway here is the link

Thanks a lot! I found a lot of interesting videos on their youtube channel… worth watching for any ‘newbie’ :36: