American Spring + USDJPY = Bust out the shorts!

Weekly Analysis

Point A- Swing point. Higher-High put in just under 104.00 mid-MAY 2013. From the middle of the supply zone of the leg labeled XY, pair sells off 800 points. Mass imbalance between buyers and sellers. One side of the market in control. Supply zone cemented in.

Point B- Retest of established supply. The first pullback into an established supply zone offers a high reward, low risk, high probability trade opportunity. Entries are placed @ the level – no need to wait for any type of signal. The leg labeled ZA is roughly a 550pt sell off.

Move BC is even less – sellers are only able to print a 360pt decline.

Point BCD- Wedge structure. I was expecting this to break to the downside, seeing the series of lower highs printed (points ABD). However, the structure held and demand overwhelmed supply.

Point D- Structural/technical breakout. Shorts are not initiated as price rallies into @ our established supply zone for the 2nd time – this is a basic principle of S/D zone trading.

Point E- Confidence for buyers. A Higher-High is put in.
[ul]
[li]11/10/2012 – 5/18/2013 bull leg is 2400pts
[/li][li]10/26/2013 – 12/28/2013 bull leg is 800pts
[/li][/ul]
The 2nd major leg up which established the new Higher-High was 1/3 the size of the original move. This is crucial. Where did all the buyers go?

Point F- Bearish structure established: 4 attempts to bring prices above 105 – all failed. Buyers are losing ground to the upside. Yet, a floor has been established b/w 101.8 – 101: prior Supply should act as new demand. Orders are being eaten away at this floor.

D1 Analysis

Point A- Testing of supply zone as new demand. 400pt bull wave from Point A – Point B. Sellers take control @ Point B.

Point C- After retesting the newly established demand, buyers print a measly 180pt increase in price. The Pair enters a range-bound environment thereafter for about 18 days.

Point D- Retest again of technical horizontal support/bottom of range/demand zone. S/D principles would advise against long positions here. Buyers are able to muster up a bit more of an aggressive rally but stall @ 102.75 (former technical horizontal support now technical resistance).

Point E- 200pt 5 day rally is evaporated in 4 days, with moderate-conviction. Moderate resistance from buyers is present.

Point F- Key price action. 3/20/2014 trading session was an inside day, capped by a tight 40pt range. Heading into the weekend, we don’t suspect major players to put on large positions. So, Friday 3/21/2014 may follow suit. There is clear hesitation on both sides of the market, as the 3/20/2014 candle was a small doji, formed at the peak of a single days’ worth of buying which hasn’t been seen in a few months.

How we’re trading this:

[ul]
[li]Short just under 102.5.
[/li][li]Initial target is logical @ 101.5 zone.
[/li][li]Deeper targets are 100.5.
[/li][li]Backup plan- If 103 gets taken out w/ conviction, the recent swing point @ 103.75 would be on deck for a retest. If price action shows sign of breaking out, we may see another leg up. Ideally, I’d like to see a breakout / retest of the high before going long.
[/li][/ul]

Looking forward to feedback!
Have a nice day.

…Charts are a bit fuzzy - apologies. Here are links to each though for you to open in a new window if needed:
Weekly Chart
Daily Chart
Target chart

:slight_smile:

The JPY is showing continued signs of strength against the USD.
Shorts are still good here, as we await a retest of 101.50 - 101 zone.

Price is just flagging out for now - but, the pressure is mounting and a break is inevitable.

I enter my short trade at 102.60 and patiently waiting for break out.

[QUOTE=“Rambo35;615193”]I enter my short trade at 102.60 and patiently waiting for break out.[/QUOTE]

We were filled just under 102.50 , so not too far from your position.

Have you looked through my analysis in this post? Do you have any comments?
I’m assuming since you’re also short you primarily agree.

I do agree with you and I made some profits on my USDJPY trade.

Thanks for the comment Rambo - glad you banked some points this week!
I’ve been attacking the Yen non-stop and secured just under 80 points last week. Even picked up a quick 15pt scalp on the M1.

What type of trading methods do you employ?

propose short scalp right now USd jpy ,

[QUOTE=“torulf39;616675”] propose short scalp right now USd jpy ,[/QUOTE]

Chart?

:slight_smile:

chart chart …

Of course …

It was a brave / stupid call. My support was 10316 and 10340 …

My call was short when price was 10316

Here is a perfect example how to trader you out of a bad entry …

The trick is getting the best possible wholesale price so that you can minimize the loss / breakeven

5 min after entry I expected a more push north and entry 1 Sl was moved to breakeven

after 2 push north first weakness and I adding my losing position …
Target
I expected a PB down against 10316 level S-line …

Big green candel PB from 10316 S-line said that the option of a further journey north was present and when is a clear trend then it is better to exit the market and wait for better signal indicating the price to the south.

In a range environment or trend that has moved all day then can a be more generous with SL …

Study how the market reacts to 10316 level later in the day

Go short 103,75 yen / usd Sl over 104 adding you position in case price will test out 104 level first you looking for weakness

position 2-3 days

propose eur usd buy scalp 4 pips Sl

JPY M5
Agreed torulf!

HD Link to image

Anyone shorting off this range ceiling under 104?

Sorry, forgot chart:

D1 Chart
Sell into strength?!

HD link to image

Long since 102.95

SL at 103.55 & trailing behind swing lows

TP at 107.20 (why not, I’m playing with the house’s money) LOL! :wink:

PS take a quick look at the monthly USDJPY chart, seems to be signaling a very different message than your daily.

Time to adding to a losing position 103.96 target secure entry 10375

Pulled my SL up to 103.65 locking in 75 pips.

Still printing higher highs but momentum seems to be stalling…

hoping the SP501 keeps running strong with UJ following along :51:

Smart man!
Yen needed a decent tankan at the beginning of the week to lift it back through .9750…it didn’t get it & you picked up the resulting backwind on your continuation short Yen position.

If it loses .9600 (including post NFP) you’ll get a bit more wind in your sails.
If you dont already have it on your shopping list v/s CAD I’d add it in if I were you especially if the loonie breaks out & up through .9100

Yeah betting on yen weakness.

Thanks for the FYI on CADJPY. It wasn’t on my radar so I took a peek and it looks good. I’ll have to keep an eye on tomorrow’s CAD employment numbers could set the bias for next week.

I’ve also got my eye on NZD/JPY, looks as if it could be in a nice corrective pull-back, maybe even a 4-h stochastic hook to boot. :wink:

thanks

The line of least resistance is always the smoothest journey.

NZ business optimism is at 15 year highs + they’re not likely done hiking rates yet either so keeping that pair sharply in focus will definitely pay dividends going forward.

They’re taking some profits off the table across generic kiwi ahead of the next NZIER update which is scheduled for Monday morning (local time) so watch your levels for pullback/continuation activity on that pair specifically + any other kiwi crosses that click back into continuation mode.