How did you trade NFP? 4/4/2014

Here’s how I did:

:slight_smile:

The $USDCAD is our favorite pair to trade when it comes to NFP releases. Canadian Economic/Employment figures are printed the same time Nonfarm payrolls hits the wire - and the CAD numbers seem to never disappoint. That being said, a pre-existing bias already offered itself to pay attention to the Loonie chart, and make a move off some great volatility. It is important to note that we employ a separate trading strategy when it comes to NFP. Primarily because the potential for major market moves exists and a lot of money can be made in a short amount of time. That being the case, we’ll push our effective leverage out just a bit and risk more from the get-go to capitalize on volatility. (Thus, we require additional confirmation from the onset).

STRATEGY
Trading around NFP can be very rewarding if you’re patient and have a solid game plan. The specific methodology we employ is similar to the “normal” tactics for trading our H4/D1 charts, but with a few more enhancements. Why? Well, the market moves very violently during such a major economic release. So, any position we’d be looking to take would not only need to fulfill the original requirements for a “normal” trade according to our plan, but, an additional three stipulations:

StrongWeak snapshot

[ul]
[li]BEFORE- Analysis of H4/D1 chart using our normal strategy, but, with the addition of a momentum indicator
[/li][li]DURING- Determination of the strongest/weakest single currency 3-5 minutes during release (FXCM StrongWeak App)
[/li][li]3-5 MIN AFTER RELEASE- Positions taken will either fade a rally (sell into strength), or buy a sell-off (buy into weakness) @ the peak / bottom
[/li][/ul]

Understanding which single currency is moving the most after the release is beneficial because this illustrates the market participant’s intention and where attention is being paid the most. Just before the release, we’ll scan the major USD-based pairs using price action analysis, supply/demand theory, pattern recognition, and fundamental awareness, PLUS, a 14, 3, 3 Fast Stochastic. What we’re looking for is signs on an H4 chart of a looming shift in momentum, coupled w/ the aforementioned strategies. If NFP hits, and the market sells off/rallies hard into that divergence, then you’re in business.

USDCAD H4 CHART

Rather than seeking out a single point of divergence when trading NFP (i.e. an indicator saying one thing, price action saying another), due to the increased risk we’re taking from the onset our strategy calls for multi-divergence. In other words, our momentum indicator needs to be strongly firing off a mathematical signal representative of two points of divergence with the corresponding price history. Key points for the position, looking @ the H4:

[ul]
[li]Multiple divergence signals (momentum shifting) - Even before NFP put in the lower low, the two points of divergence existed
[/li][li]Trading near a key level 1.10 + Bearish breakout structure (classic breakout / retest price action strategy)
[/li][li]Ascending trendline from higher time frame chart under 1.1 / with the overall trend
[/li][li]Trading in/near a defined demand zone
[/li][li]Descending channel pattern (origin is 3/26)
[/li][li]Recent USD weakness against the CAD (Buying into weakness)
[/li][/ul]

USDCAD M5 CHART

The M5 is the bread and butter preferred timeframe for scalping intraday. The chart should be pretty self-explanatory, but let’s go through it anyway. As mentioned, our first step was to find that momentum shift in a USD-based pair using price action analysis and a single indicator off the higher timeframe. Once the numbers hit the wire, you need to confirm your game plan based off what the market is doing. In other words, on the USDCAD we had already defined our entry “area” based on an anticipation that the market would sell off. Seeing the worst than expected USD print and better than expected CAD figures, everything began to fall into place.

Most of the time, after NFP prints, the market will return almost back to where price was trading before the release in the same day (unless there is a large # in the way or another logical horizontal level present). Sometimes, a major sell-off as seen today can literally stop on a dime, and immediately start to reverse and threaten its origin point. Others, the market will see if the move can be sustained and try to push deeper. With that being said, our strategy typically allots for 1-3 entry points based on reading the PA live off the M1 chart.

This trade was no different - the pair started showing signs of stalling @ the bottom of our demand zone, which was the first signal to get in (in case that was the trough). Sellers tried to keep the push alive but were unable to make a printed new low (confidence for buyers). This was the second signal to get in, and bring the position up to the full amount of risk. The initial target was just under 1.100 (which is logical) but, was missed by less than a pip. Continuing to read the PA live, the plan was to consider covering if the lows from the original sell-off were breached with conviction. The push @ 1.0965 was exhaustive and buyers came back in strong.

The previous swing high (where our limit was missed) is the logical place to position a limit, but, sometimes traders need to add a buffer. Our limit was moved down to just beneath that swing high, and booked for an average of 20 points (26 on first pos, 14 on second pos). With 1.1 being such an important level, it’s no surprise that the origin point of the move wasn’t tested. Sometimes, you need to be aware of factors such as this, and adjust your profit targets accordingly. Why? Well- if you had your limit on the other side of the big figure 1.1 - chances are, institutions are stacked @ that price and you wouldn’t see a trade above it. Also, its important to monitor price action live as the approach was made on the limit. There may have been strength to retest 1.1, but it never came.

RECAP
Each opportunity to trade around this release is met with the same strategy - buying into weakness, selling into strength. However, it’s not as easy as simply placing a sell market order @ what you feel is the top of a rally shortly after NFP prints. As a trader, you must be aware of many other factors- factors such as where price is currently trading on higher timeframes, and whether or not the pair you’re buying/selling into has the participation behind it to make a substantial move. Capitalizing on major-market impacting releases, such as NFP, and the ensuing volatility, is a great way to start off each new trading month. You just need to have a game plan heading into the release, and maintain confidence in your ability to accurately execute when the time comes.

HD Links to images:
Strongweak
H4 Chart
M5 Chart

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Comments/Concerns are always welcomed as well!
Would love to see other traders’ strategies!

Have a great weekend.
-Jake Abrahams

Shorted EJ, but the news definitely impacted her. Was almost like a repeat of yesterday. Market spiked EJ up, then she dropped like a stone. For a news release, according to the chart posted… It barely affected UC.

I didn’t… why would you? Ok today was a damp squib and the direction was mapped out beforehand on the techs. But other times its often 60 pips one way and 60 pips the other, only to return to the general overall prevailing direction. Its a sideshow crap shoot once a month for the news trader junkie. Guess which way its going and factor in massive slippage!:smiley:

[QUOTE=“R Carter;618296”]I didn’t… why would you? Ok today was a damp squib and the direction was mapped out beforehand on the techs. But other times its often 60 pips one way and 60 pips the other, only to return to the general overall prevailing direction. Its a sideshow crap shoot once a month for the news trader junkie. Guess which way its going and factor in massive slippage!:D[/QUOTE]

I have noticed quite a lot that during news the market spikes right after the announcement and more often than not, the opposite it actually ends up going after the market accepts the news. Same thing for weekend gaps. Possibly it’s the institutional money disguising its trades to other institutions? I know retail traders do not have the capital to move price like that even if all of us traded the same way as news came out.

Most often level III traders know what other level III traders are about (so I’d discount that theory). The close yesterday to me suggested there was more downside pressure from a tech standpoint.

[QUOTE=“R Carter;618300”] Most often level III traders know what other level III traders are about. The close yesterday suggested there was more downside.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you are referring to EJ, just watching price all day yesterday + where it closed, it seemed very probably price would continue to fall. But I don’t just watch the market see where it closes and make a decision. I allow excel to do all the work I programmed it to do so I can make a decision off more in depth statistics than just simple probability.

Most level III traders know what other level III traders are about? I’m a little confused by this statement. Please elaborate?

Man all my threads keep getting jacked…haha

Thank for commenting guys, I’m just playing around keep up the discussion I don’t mind.

[QUOTE=“FOREXunlimited;618335”]Man all my threads keep getting jacked…haha Thank for commenting guys, I’m just playing around keep up the discussion I don’t mind.[/QUOTE]

Lol. I jack everyone’s thread xD. Shoulda called my username Pipjacked lol

Level III is the highest access to trading information (see investopedia for an explanation). We lowly retails are level I. These guys can see who’s offering what at what price and the amount.

[QUOTE=“R Carter;618365”]Level III is the highest access to trading information (see investopedia for an explanation). We lowly retails are level I. These guys can see who’s offering what at what price and the amount.[/QUOTE] I get what you are saying. What does it matter though who is offering what at whatever price or level? I can put my Honda Accord up for sale on three different sites… One for $10,000, one for $5000 and one for $2000. Price is irrelevant if there is no demand for my Honda accord regardless of how good the offer is. Assuming we are level 1 and we only have access to the first site… And the level 3 has access to all 3 sites, the only difference between the level 3’s and level 1’s is a better price (like entry on a trade). But regardless of who gets the better price both equally have the same odds of price value going up or down. That’s the beauty of FX. Everyone has equal odds regardless of information sources. Why do you think there is no such thing as insider trading in fx? No one player or group of players has enough power to sway the market where they want it to go!

Actually to an extent I take back my last statement. If you had at least 3 billion and invested into EU at the exact same price, you are guaranteed a 1 pip movement in EU in your direction. This is because you will void the cancelation rates of the money as it’s being put in and taken out at that price. But in order to continue to move price up and price hold, you would have to keep investing 3 billion every pip to keep driving up price or down depending on your trade. I dont know any hedge funds that have hundreds of billions to invest in one pair and one pair only to control that pairs exchange rate. I can prove all of this with math, but I would rather not have to lol.

My favourite pair for NFP is USD/CHF, it is much less spikey, and easier to see where it may spike to.

I like the Asian hi/low as a reference point, so if I’m expecting bullish Usd nfp I’ll set a buy at the Asian low, if there is a low nearby then that’ll become the limit order for buy, if not then I’ll just use the session low.

Used to try this on Fibre - way too spikey, to wide of an SL needed to keep the trade, not so USD/CHF:

Chart is 15min, all lines computer generated and visible at London Open. (purple notes only mine).

The same set up on Fibre needed 25 pips SL to stay alive for max potential of 34, Usd/Chf needed SL of 5
for max potential of 37.

Here are the recent stats for nfp on this approach:

March 2014 - left without me, didn’t make it back to Asian low.

Feb 2014 - max possible 50, SL needed 10

Jan 2014 - max 60 SL 16

Dec 2013 - max 58 SL 9

How did I trade the NFP?

I ignored it. I was short the GBP/JPY from Thursday morning off the third bounce from the high of 173.12.

Still going :slight_smile:

I was also long gold. :wink:

Nice trade on that cross. especially getting in on Thur.

I see that it too spiked up to it’s Asian high on NFP release :slight_smile:

Nice

My strategy doesn’t trade with the momentum of the actual release. It trades counter-momentum, 3-5 minutes after the figures print as I mentioned.

[B]Pair | 830 - 835AM 5M CANDLE[/B]
USDCHF | 24p
NZDUSD | 27P
EURUSD | 30P
AUDUSD | 33P
GBPUSD | 35P
USDJPY | 57P
EURJPY | 63P
USDCAD | 69P

My strategy doesn’t really call for watching non USD-Based pairs during the major USD release, so I hadn’t considered any of the Yen crosses.

In the 3-5 minute window following the release, the CAD printed the most activity, so I don’t agree w/ your claim of the pair being barely impacted. It was actually the most sensitive to the release, because of the aforementioned strategy to consider the high-impact CAD event risk as well. Usually when “one is good and the other isn’t” there’s room for a nice move.

I don’t capitalize on trading the direction of the initial move- I fade it.
So, I’m looking for the largest move in 3-5 minutes, across the instruments I trade, and then to act on that slingshot back to / near the origin point.

Nice insight to stay short on the EURJPY though - great trading.

Greatly appreciated. I’m still new to the particular concept I am trading. With that in mind I wouldn’t be surprised to see EJ rise up to possibly 40 pips or so from open. However, I do expect it to drop 50 or more… Potentially 80 pips from the high to close short for the day. If EJ does rise a least 30 - 40 pips above open I will be entering a position short to hold until today’s close. Like posted in my journal, I’m not a huge fan of the results EJ’s data gave me today, but then again I don’t normally trade that particular pattern. At least not yet lol.

Happy trading man! And yeah I never thought about that: American news comes out, trade a yen pair. I Will have to look into it in the future and see if it continues to reoccur.