Losing streak

Hey guys,

I have been trading forex for about a year, although I have made money I still have a lot to learn as I just went from making my account of 400+% down to almost gone. I was curious what do you do during a losing streak? should I reevaluate my trading strategy as I do not have enough capital to risk for a drawdown (I am a swing trader and usually risk about 50-100 pips for 200+ pips. If there is any advice it would be greatly appreciated? I am still in school as of now in my sophomore year and since I do not have a Job currently I need to really evaluate an effective strategy again with small capital gains so that I can pay for school.

Thank you your feedback is well appreciated.

Time to get on that demo account again.

To begin with don’t be all so surprised with losing streaks. I’ve been trading 5+ years and losing streaks are part of the process. All those losses happen for a reason and mainly you are responsible for them. Now what needs to be done is figure out why you lost. Sounds simple enough but i know that there is some psychological factors that inhibit one from deducting such a simple conclusion but none the less work it out. Good idea about going back to that demo account. From experience i know that one year of trading is far to little seasoning for someone to be a consistent winner in the market. So get back on that demo account and nail down your trading strategy until you have been able to put on 100 winning trades in a row on your demo account and then you can graduate onto a live account.

Hi,yes I think you should evaluate and improve your strategy until you have less losing trades. A percent increase in short duration of time doesn’t mean anything,even a newbie can get 500% increase in a few days and get excited. The most important thing is that you can maintain profitable for weeks,months and years using the same system.

Hello Saechoc,

first of all thank you for posting your thoughts; second of all, ‘minx’ is right in saying that ‘even a newbie can get 500% increase in a few days’. Indeed, the point about trading as a business is to grow your account overall, so that over a chosen period (six months, a year), when you will draw the sums at its conclusion, you will have a positive figure.

Also, think about this: if you traded every day for hours gaining a lot of pips but also losing just as many, and at the end of your chosen evaluation period (let us say one month) you only gained, say, +0.5%, and this happened every month (unlikely to be so, but let us say this as a theoretical point), by the end of a trading year you would have gained 0.5x12= 6%. Now,
most bank-held savings account will not even give you 2% over a year, so of course it would be a good investment; however, what a bank account does not require you to do is to spend hours researching, analysing, and executing transactions, as the bank does it on your behalf, which means that you can work full-time and let that account grow with no additional effort. In other words: if you spent hours and hours of your life researching, analysing, and executing trades on the Forex market, you may want to also evaluate, at the end of a chosen period (one month, six months, a year) how balanced your time-money ratio is: could you, for example, be over-trading? If you traded less, but with less conflict (e.g. buying one pair for a few pips, then selling it for a loss, then buying it for a loss, then buying it again for a few pips, in a scalping fashion but perhaps without the necessary planning, trying to chase a trend on a small time frame, e.g. 5min. chart), would the overall result be better?

At the beginning, traders seem to want to be more ‘involved’, which usually means that they will put on more trades, as they need to hone their technical skills, and feel like they are more immediately in the game; as time goes by, they may continue with, say, short-term trading but also consider longer-term trades, which take more time to mature and may seem counter-intuitive as they will require less direct action… These longer trades may yield more profit overall than lots of smaller trades - for one, you will not be paying for spread costs many times over, but only once; ‘carry’/rollover interests may also be an incentive to trade longer-term - and they may take less of a toll on your time and psychological well-being…

You must think, also, whether you are over-leveraging: a typical sign of this would be a yo-yo account, where the growth curve would see-saw dramatically up and then down… Bear in mind that once you are dramatically down, you will have less money to leverage your trades with, therefore it is true what you will hear, that is, that losing is faster (and easier, in a way) than ‘winning your money back’: I put the last phrase in quotation marks because the typical ‘revenge’ trade psychology comes after a losing streak, when we, as human beings as well as traders, are most at risk, being unable to trade objectively and perhaps unable to control our raging/turbulent emotions - heart pounding, stress rising, brain cutting short our more rational processes in favour of ‘fight back mode’.

Over-leveraging yourself for ‘winning your money back’ is a risky and often deadly game for your account, therefore the hardest but most sensible thing to do is to swallow your pride, like a bitter pill, and come out publicly, as you have done, to admit your mistake, and eat humble pie, taking consolation from the sympathy and support of the trading collective, as there will be many more traders who will have been through exactly the same learning curve and similar disappointments.

In the end, you must try to risk less, for this, and this alone, will give you the opportunity to keep your account profits unharmed by the inevitable ‘bad trades’ or unpredictability of the market (going against your bias): given that we cannot predict the market, and we can expect to be proven wrong on a number of occasions, our only certainty is how we manage to minimise losses, e.g. using stop-losses and smaller lots, so that the losing trades will not keep us out of trading.

So, take a look back at what you have been doing and see, for example, if you put on too many trades, or bet too much money on some trades (especially the ones that you felt ‘good’ about but turned against you), or did not use stop losses effectively (either too tight, or too wide, or none at all, or trailing but in the wrong context): when you will have done that, try to change one aspect of your risk management habits, e.g. lot size, and see if that will have a positive impact. Do not change everything at once, as it may not give you enough time to single out where you were going wrong: if you were testing a strategy and you will now make some changes to it, you would not want to change too many parameters, otherwise you would be no longer talking about the same strategy, and effectively you would have to call it a new strategy and start a whole new testing period.

I hope this helps.

Happy trading.

If you really want to succeed you should take the pressure of your back of making money for the school. Trading with emotions and pressure is just going to lead you in losses.

I found that really helpful. How would you recommend getting 100 winning trades in a row? That seems a bit unplausable… any demo accounts you suggest that last longer than a month?

Thank you I appreciate your feedback it means a lot. What advice do you have as to “becoming more profitable”? Do you mean I refine my strategy down to every single detail?

I have been trading since over 5 years. Losing streaks happen from time to time. I would recommend to withdraw your money if you have earned 50% or 100% profit. I have spoken with many traders and some have made very big profits and lost it all with one losing trade. If you withdraw from time to time then if something happens at least you still have some cash left to trade.

Sae,

If you are on a bad streak, you need to review your process.

1. Do you have a daily schedule/routine: a. pre-trade checklist; b. trading plan; c. strategy guidelines; d. rules for entry & exits; e. do you journal your following the rules you set; etc

If you don’t have some defined process, how do you know when you are making good or bad decisions?
Are you making decisions based on psychological/emotional factors?
Do you revenge trade & try to make the market give back what you lost?
If you review your process, and are following your rules; you might need to tweak your rules/process.

I would second Rambo’s post, you may want to find a way to avoid emotions and pressure when trading for it often results in impulse decisions and not the good sort either. And as for over leveraging to deal with the loss, that’s a risky strategy at best, would not advise it, not for new traders. And as for losing streak, no trader wins all the trades every time, we all get to lose a few, so analyze the loss and work out what went wrong, streamline your strategy and good luck.

I would recommend a pause.
You should stop trading for a few days/weeks so that emotions don’t affect your decisions.
Like it was previously said, review your process and stop trading with real money until you are able to make money in a demo account.
All the best!

Make sure or system is fool proof… go by it… don’t think of school money or anything trade like robot!

“Look for the best assets to get in!
USD/CNY -> What a Rally!!!”

1 Like

It’s very possible to lose 100 trades in a row and so it should be just as easy to win 100 trades. It really is all about perspective and attitude but those psychological factors are extremely hard to reconstruct because we have been condition from an early age about money and losing it is a bad thing hence the fear and greed emotion aspect that runs the market. If you manage to truly trump those two you can basically treat the market as your personal savings accounts. Its possible and there are many books about traders that do such a thing. I can’t recommend anything its actually against a traders integrity to recommend anything but there is plenty of information available to you on the internet. If you manage to get more then 20 winning trades in a row and your demo account expires simply open up another one and keep the tally going.

Now that you have learned how to lose money reverse the process, I think if you can learn how to just trade the news you could be better off, I lost 20 buxs first 2 months of the year and just quit for a spell, now I gained half back, I drive a semi truck and work 70 hours a week so my job is my main income and I will make sure its first, now the forex is more of a hobby atm, but my job is the ticket to having capital, decided to just try to trade the news the long range stuff atm is frustrating lol.

I can’t even begin to comprehend how anyone could even get close to 100 consecutive losing trades without deliberately going out of their way to achieve that result. You’d have to do something crazy like opening a trade and then instantaneously closing the trade and losing the spread, and even then I think you’d struggle to do that 100 times in a row.

As for being just as easy to achieve 100 wins, that’s complete nonsense precisely because of the effects of the spread, it’s significantly harder to achieve 10 consecutive winners than 10 consecutive losers.

Most of the time I’m struggling to put together more than 3 or 4 consecutive gains without a loss, I really do think that advising people that they need to achieve 100 consecutive winners on a demo is rather ill advised and a million miles away from how most profitable traders are making money.

There are guys on this forum who are absolutely printing money with systems where 4 out of every 5 trades lose money, It’s certainly not the way I’d do it, but it proves the point that win rate isn’t that important, and focusing on putting together winning streaks really isn’t particularly useful.

By the time people are ready to trade, they know exactly what their worst drawdown is going to be, and what they’ll do if that happens, and if they don’t know that, they are not ready to trade, and it’s going to end in tears. The only advice I can give is this, if losses are worrying and a cause for concern, then people are trading too large a position.

The reality of successful trading at whatever level is this… You’ll be making new equity highs less than 20 percent of the time, 80 percent of the time you’ll be losing money, or making back the money that you lost earlier, and that’s the reality, and that applies to the guys who are best in the world, and you will not find an equity curve from any successful trader over the past 100 years where that isn’t the case (I’m discounting systems that allow open losses holding on until trades become profitable one loss leads to a margin call)

All of this late posts are totally useless… 100 wins in a row? 20/80 wins?
Step back please and reconsider what you want to achieve in your life as traders because the way you are walking right now drives to nowhere.
The traders who won, we all share some common things like a surefire method that involves a lot of work and discipline but less loses than you all think.
I’m very successful and I have never blown away and account, never ruined myself. That stories are for the movies, trust me.

a lot of what gets posted on my replies or anyone’s for that matter gets lost in translation because not all people are able to read between the lines because of different levels of experience and attitudes. For that reason I’m not even going to bother clearing the air about the statement i was quoted on about 100 winners in a row. I was setting the bar really high as in to encourage and not to belittle and lowered it considerably by the end of the post which some peoples attention span didn’t reach because they were out raged. Just because you or anyone you know can’t do something does’t mean its not achievable. With that said i digress.

Despite what any poster has told you, it is no more difficult to win than it is to lose if you have a proper trading strategy.

For the record. In my first year of trading, trading an extremely low risk system, I traded 254 trades in a row win without a loss. At the time that equaled out to only 2% return of my money over a month of trading. But it proves itself. Funny thing is, I’m not making this up. I can prove I with my quarterly report via Oanda.

1 Like

I’ve seen plenty of equity curves where new highs are being made 80% of the time. It really depends on the win rate and R:R of the system being traded. Your statement is true for systems with a low win rate, low risk and high reward, but what about systems with a high win rate and balanced 1:1 R:R?