Sydney session question

Hello I am new to both this forum and forex trading, so excuse my ignorance please lol.

I am currently reading through the Preschool section, and in the trading sessions section there is no mention of the sydney session.Is there a reason for this…?

I’m not sure, is there something you’re trying to find out that’s particular to the Sydney session? Here’s a link to open and closing times as related to the others. Forex Market Hours | Forex Trading Times | FX Time Zones | OANDA fxTrade

Hi! We just merged Sydney trading hours with the Tokyo trading hours and lumped into the Asian trading session.

1 Like

Hello, [B]etycoon.[/B] And welcome to this forum.

What you have observed is probably an editing error. In some places the School refers to 3 trading sessions (Tokyo, London, and New York), and in other places the School refers to 4 sessions (including Sydney). Keep reading, and you will come to this page in the School curriculum, where the details of the 4 sessions are laid out for you.

Let’s talk about just how many forex trading sessions we should be concerned with.

If someone were to ask, “How many forex trading sessions are there?”, answers could range from 3 to 7, and each of those answers could be considered correct in certain contexts. For example —

• [B]3 Forex Trading Sessions:[/B] Tokyo, London and New York. This way of dividing the overall market recognizes the fact that the major banks in the interbank network generally operate trading desks in those three cities, shifting their “book” from Tokyo to London to New York and back to Tokyo during each 24-hour period.

The 3-session forex market is based on the assumption that the Pacific market (New Zealand and Australia), and the mainland Asian market (Singapore, Hong Kong, China and Taiwan) all trade along with Tokyo, during normal business hours in Japan. This assumption is [I]approximately[/I] correct.

The “3-session” forex market also assumes that all of Europe trades along with London. Central Europe consists of many countries in one time zone, and that time zone happens to be one hour ahead of London, year-round. The assumption that Europe trades during normal London business hours is [I]approximately[/I] correct. However, there have been many times when sharp price moves have occurred at 8am Zurich time (7am London time) — with the European market not waiting for the “opening” of the London session.

• [B]4 Forex Trading Sessions:[/B] The Babypips School (and others) add Sydney to the basic three sessions described above. Sydney, in this case, represents the Pacific Region (New Zealand and Australia).

Another way to divide the world into 4 forex trading sessions is as follows: Tokyo, Zurich, London, and New York (with Zurich representing all of the countries in the Central European time zone). This “4-session forex market” combines all of the Pacific/Asian region into one “session”, and assumes that this session trades during Tokyo hours. And it takes account of the relatively large size of the European forex market, designating it as a separate session, rather than lumping it in with London.

• [B]7 Forex Trading Sessions:[/B] If you start with the “3-session forex market” described above, and then you add Wellington (New Zealand), Sydney (Australia), Singapore (representing all of mainland Asia in the GMT+8 time zone), and Zurich (representing all of central Europe) — you get the “7-session” forex market which I used to compile the Table of Forex Trading Sessions.

It’s important to realize that these sessions are far from being comparable to one another in size. For example, the Wellington (New Zealand) market is tiny compared to the London market. In fact, the Wellington market is less than ½ of 1% of the size of the London market.

I’ll give you more on the relative sizes of the principal forex markets in a later post.

This app page should help too.
Forex Market Hours
Convert opening and closing hours to your timezone/

It’s the same as Asian session.