6.18 reasons why fibonacci is an illusion

6.18 REASONS WHY FIBONACCI IS AN ILLUSION

[B]Before this article was written, I was against fibonacci …

Most people abusing the use of indicators, instead of trying to understand and learn the underlying reasons behind price movements.

The results, you get a handicap and stop your development as a trader
[/B]

Posted in: Trading Process and Strategy | February 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm , by Lance BeggsNo comments
Some people are not going to like this article. That’s fine though. We may just have to agree to disagree in the end, because this is an argument that has been going on forever on trading forums without ever finding any common ground.

Of course… my side of the argument is the right one… but some people just don’t seem able to see that. :slight_smile:

I’m talking of course about Fibonacci levels, and their use in trading.

This discussion has come about as a result of a recent email by a YTC Newsletter reader, as follows:

Excerpt from Email:

Hi Lance,

Just a chart of today’s price action in EUR/USD.

From this H1 chart, we can see how well trend lines works, also that 61.8% retracements works and that S/R in charts works. Three good reasons to take this trade in my opinion, with very low risk and great rewards.

Since London closed high up and the Asian session traded far lower, to the traders in London this might just be seen as a large gap for them, just my thought on the subject and an idea for exit target.

How come you do not find trend lines and Fibonacci levels useful in your trading, if I understand you correctly?

I do not know of any tools that are so exact as trend lines and second are Fib-levels, chart S/R work also very well and is usually found close to major Fib-levels.

Chart Attachment:

Response:

Let’s consider fibonacci levels… why don’t I believe in fibonacci levels as having some predictive ability to identify turning points?

Reason 1:

Simply because, having an understanding of the true nature of price action, there is no place for fibonacci levels in the reality of price movement.

The same goes for any other type of mathematical guess at future S/R levels – floor pivots, camarilla equations and whatever else is out there. They add no value.

The real reason that price turned at this point, and the ONLY reason, is because of a shift in the supply / demand dynamics of the market.

Bearish orderflow was overcome by bullish orderflow, most likely as a combination of selling drying up at these levels, and an increase in buying.

With supply (selling) unable to meet demand (buying), price rallied.

There is NO other reason. It wasn’t because of the fibonacci level. It was supply / demand. Everything else is illusion.

Bullish or bearish orderflow is a result of the sentiment of market participants. The reversal at B is a result of a shift in sentiment leading to a change of net orderflow from bearish to bullish.

Why did that occur? Numerous reasons. We can never know the decision making of all market participants.

Certainly though, the fib level may have played a part in the decision making of some market participants (self-fulfilling prophecy… but only because other traders also transacted in this area for other reasons). Likewise for the trendline. And for any of a million other potential reasons.

I’d suggest a larger proportion (than the fib and trendline groups) of change in sentiment would be due to the S/R level. It’s actually a great level. Previous resistance turned support. And look at the strength of the move away from the area last time it touched (prior to B).

Having now retraced through A as a result of bearish orderflow, price was pushed through the support level to test lower prices. Breakout traders would have entered short below the 1.3550 area (and previous swing lows). Failure to attract wider bearish support though, resulted in a failure to continue in the downward direction. As price rallies from B, it’s the shorts covering their position (stopped out) which provide the bullish strength shown in C.

Looking at price action from the perspective of supply and demand, and considering its movement from the way that other traders decisions will impact orderflow… there’s just no need for fibs. Fibonacci adds nothing to this analysis.

There was no need to guess that B would provide support. Just to know that if price did get there, and failed to continue lower, it would quite likely rally with some strength.

Study price and what makes it move. Study supply and demand. Study the dual auction process, and maybe some market profile. Study volume 2 of the YTC Price Action Trader. You’ll understand why price is moving. You’ll understand where potential areas of opposing orderflow will exist in the market. And you’ll quite likely never use fibonacci levels again.

It’s the difference between analysis based on the true nature of price action, versus analysis based on illusion.

Reason 2:

For every fib example you provide which works, I’ll be happy to provide two fib examples which don’t.

Or even better, let’s look beyond just fibs. Since you’ve provided an area of confluence of a fib, a trendline and area of S/R, I’ll provide two of them as well.

And I don’t even need to move to different charts.

Here we have point D, at the end of trendline ABD, which intersects nicely with an area of S/R around 1.3610, right in the vicinity of our 61.8% fib (based off BC). Sweet!

Unfortunately the market doesn’t reverse at that point. Maybe if I’d measured the fib from the extension AC. Nope… that would have put point D in the vicinity of our 38.2% fib. Now we have even more confluence, and price still should have rallied.

Somehow it didn’t though.

Let’s just try another example.

Point E is the point of confluence of trendline ABCE, the area of S/R at 1.3525, and a retracement to either the 23.6 fib (from AD) and the 38.2 fib (from CD).

Ok… this one is a little messy. The levels don’t intersect exactly. But had the price rallied from above the hammer at E, all the fib traders would have claimed it as a level holding, and further proof of concept, arguing that it’s not an exact science and that it’s all in the general area so it’s close enough.

So I’m reserving my right to use the same argument. It’s close enough for my purposes.

Once again… no joy. Price punched further through E before reversing.

We can play this game all day.

Because for every 61.8 fib which works, it means price didn’t reverse at the 23.6 fib, or the 38.2 fib, or the 50 fib.

Reason 3:

The inaccuracy that is accepted in trading the levels, means that essentially EVERY reversal occurs at a fib level.

Note the point of reversal in your chart. You termed it a 61.8% retracement. Note though that the price actually penetrated this level by approximately 12 pips, placing us actually closer to a 66% retracement.

This is of course to be expected. The intent of the levels is not that they are an impenetrable barrier that will stop price to the pip.

The problem here though is that fibonacci traders will typically accept anything that goes half way to the next level as evidence that this level has worked. And then anything beyond that half way point will be considered evidence that the next level has worked (see later for confirmation bias).

So, in their eyes, every reversal is now proof that fibonacci works.

The fibonacci inaccuracy has simply created a grid over our chart in which every reversal occurs in one of the grid areas.

A man-made grid based on mathematical percentages has no basis for market reality.

Have a look at ANY chart that supposedly shows a fib level. And note the number of occurrences when the turning point is actually somewhere around midway between two fib levels.

I consider fibs to be in the category of “place enough lines on a chart and price will have to turn near one of them”.

Reason 4:

Random levels produce just as good results.

Forget the fibs. Try YTC Levels: 28.82%, 41.1%, 59.7%, 74.6%. (Hmmm… new YTC product, perhaps?)

Mark them on charts and you’ll find example after example that shows they work.

Pick any other random percentage retracements, and you’ll also find numerous examples for them (once again see below for confirmation bias).

Why not just use the rule of quarters and thirds, and have levels of 25, 33.3, 50, 66.6, and 75

(Interestingly… that comes out pretty close to the fibs that you’ve marked on your chart: 23.6, 38.2, 50, 61.8, 76.4)

It’s just as valid (or invalid depending on beliefs), especially when allowing the inaccuracy we mentioned earlier.

If the fibonacci levels provided increased edge then these retracement levels should reverse price more often than all other levels. To the best of my knowledge, no fibonacci expert has ever provided evidence of this. (Accepting also that I have no backtesting stats to disprove this. But then responsibility should lie with those who say it works to prove it.)

Reason 5:

Why then do fibonacci levels appear so accurate?

Confirmation bias!

The tendency to search for and overweight evidence that supports one’s own belief.

Given the inaccuracy that is accepted in the trading of the levels, it’s incredibly simple to find examples that appear to have worked.

Having been shown this convincing evidence, and particularly when taught this by a “market expert”, one develops a belief that fibonacci levels could potentially be a valid tool for extracting profits from the market.

From there, human nature kicks in, allowing you to sight example after example of reversals which occurred at fib levels. And discounting those which don’t work.

Fibs appear to work, as a result of a human perceptual (and information processing) error.

Reason 6:

Ok… not quite a reason… but something that annoys me.

Do some research on fibonacci numbers. Not as they relate to trading, but the actual theory behind the numbers.

50% is not a fibonacci ratio.

So where the hell does 50 come from?

If the market is meant to be guided by some universal fibonacci theorem… you can’t go just throwing in an extra level and hoping no-one will notice.

I’m a bit of a maths nerd.

I noticed.

But that’s not 6.18 reasons?

I know… but it’s close enough. This is not an exact science. :slight_smile:

(Yes, I’m an idiot!)

Ok… tongue in cheek answer aside… here’s my final thoughts…

Reasons one and four pretty much sum up my thoughts on fibonacci, and why I see no value in them as an analysis method. Fibonacci makes no sense when considered from the position of supply/demand. And there is no evidence of these levels providing any greater edge than when using a random selection of levels.

Any indicator will show success some of the time. The question is whether or not its use improves your edge. I’d suggest that any indicator based on illusion provides little value with respect to improving edge.

You commented, “chart S/R work also very well and is usually found close to major Fib-levels”. I’d suggest that you’re seeing this backwards. It’s not the S/R levels which are close to fib levels, but rather the fact that when a fib level does appear to have worked it’s simply because it just happens to coincide with an area of S/R. S/R is reality based. The fibs are illusion.

Now, having said all this, I will accept that there are many traders using fibonacci levels, who enjoy exceptional degrees of success and profitability. If you’re getting positive results through the use of fibs, then ignore all my facetious comments and continue trading as you have been so far. The fact is… you did find a great setup area through using your fib, trendline and S/R confluence area.

My belief though, regarding those who are consistently profitable with fibs, is that their edge is not through some predictive ability associated with these levels but rather in how they use the levels.

If you use them simply as points of reference, with your main focus on assessing how price behaves at each level, in order to identify shifts in the supply/demand balance and develop a bias for future orderflow, then I expect they should work fine.

But I also expect you would be able to do this equally as well with random levels. Or with real S/R.

So, why not just forget the illusion and use real S/R – areas of previously proven supply/demand imbalance?

Trendlines?

Now… trendlines… that’s a whole other story which should probably be addressed through another article. To summarise my concerns in one word though… subjectivity.

Good article. The Fib fanboys can not really argue (they will try) any of the points, and the argument will essentially boil down to them saying “I’ve been using fibs for years! They are an important tool and give me an edge! Why do so many people use fibs if they don’t work! You prove they don’t work! I don’t care what you say!”

Fibs are useless distractions. They are shoved down retailers throats when they first begin trading, hence the new trader is convinced early on that they have significance, hence the push back any time someone says otherwise.

Sure you can draw fib levels in hindsight and see reactions off them… You can also close you eyes while placing a horizontal line on your chart. After opening your eyes and wait long enough, you will eventually see a “reaction” to it as well.

Aha! the 50%, remember a long time ago I told you about it, you wanted to see a chart but I’m too lazy.

This upcoming week, take cable, take the Asian session, note the high and low - then note the fair value - maybe call it the 50% “fib”.

Was going to say forget the past but just had a sneaky look at Fri past - 7038 is the number.

So no need for a chart, or drawing tool or such, just the high and low - then set your order for the opening of the next session.

Just had further sneaky look at the past, Thur - 6988 / Wed - 6969 / Tue - 7024 / Mon - 7029

Damn!! have just weakened my strategy by giving it away, thanks Torulf. :slight_smile:

I do agree - he has some points. BUT if fib ratios wasn’t working at all, we could just throw harmonic trading strategies in the bin and I haven’t met anyone who had really studied harmonics and would give them up so easily…

I’ve always thought fib levels are b’locks.

It’s all about supply and demand.

I don’t typically use Fibonacci levels in my day to day trading. However it would not be prudent for me to disregard them completely. WHY? Well it simple I am a price action scalper. When I’m watching for a trade set up and I see where price is pulled back to a fib level and I can see the fib bots that are running at the moment coming in. You can bet I’m going to step jump in with them and ride there buying pressure up for a quick scalp. While trading may be about supply and demand it’s also heavily bot traded. One of the important advantages I have is a scalper is to look for the patterns of buying and selling by the active bots. Many times is not noticeable but when you can spot them it would be folly not to join them to increase your account size. The same holds true whether it be a fib, harmonic, Elliott, S and R, breakout, swing or any other pattern.

ps Lance Beggs wroten:

My belief though, regarding those who are consistently profitable with fibs, is that their edge is not through some predictive ability associated with these levels but rather in how they use the levels.

If you use them simply as points of reference, with your main focus on assessing how price behaves at each level, in order to identify shifts in the supply/demand balance and develop a bias for future orderflow, then I expect they should work fine.

The important aspect he mentioned in the article is “confirmation bias”. When a trader is using fibs, there is a HUGE tendency to attribute the wins to the fibs, but trying to excuse away the losses. Thus in their mind the wins become larger proof of its value then the losses. “Oh I just didn’t choose the right ‘0’ and ‘100’ level… Or I should have used a different fib level for my entry… See if I draw it THIS way it would have worked!”

There is a plethora of different ways to draw fibs at any given time, using different time frames, using different ‘0’ and ‘100’ levels. The market isn’t limited or guided by fibs. Period. It’s best use is simply a tool to loosely guide risk/reward levels for take profits and stop losses, and using fibs in this way is more distracting then simply using horizontal levels of support and resistance from the left side of the chart.

The “tool” is not an illusion, but just like every other indicator most people do not know how to use them properly. What most beginners and inexperienced traders believe is wow! A holy grail that will help me to never lose… Well, If you believe that then I have some magic beans I would like to sell you.

Fibs do not work by pulling them and “poof” price will automatically stop at a certain level. Price must show you it’s going to reverse first.

“There is a plethora of different ways to draw fibs at any given time, using different time frames, using different ‘0’ and ‘100’ levels.”

Absolutely spot on.

There is no edge in using fib levels.

I totally agree, fibonacci is no different to any other similar technical based observation (including support & resistance, trend lines or supposed supply/demand levels) in that everything works some of the time.

Plot a fib on any random timeframe from a particular swing or alleged “key level” & at some point price will slow down, bounce or react. The next time you plot a similar reference, price is just as likely to plough straight through as if it never existed. It’s the exact same story with all the other above mentioned technical tools.

Plus of course, most of the aforementioned technical tools are subjective & wholly dependent on the individual’s interpretation of what constitutes a “key or important swing point or level/zone”

" If you use them simply as points of reference, with your main focus on assessing how price behaves at each level, in order to identify shifts in the supply/demand balance and develop a bias for future orderflow, then I expect they should work fine."

Agree 100%. No different than any other tool or trading style. No one size fits all and analyzing one part of a massive picture in front of you will not help you to see the whole picture. When I first started trading I was a big indicator trader. As you get more experienced you don’t need indicators to aid in your decision and automated systems. But for me I found them a big help in the beginning.

I’m also a big Fibonacci user, until after I used it and found out, really you can get the spread between high and low divide by 2 and get your 50% retracement. I think in the beginning new traders study indicators more than studying the market cause they’re easy to understand. 200 day moving average when it’s above long; below short; what’s easier than that. Sounds a lot easier than drawing support and resistance lines and try to interpret what’s going on around them.

What about trader sentiment. How come when the heard is buying I’m going against them unless I’m buying? Much easier to follow the heard than look at the pair and apply volume spread analysis or see that some of the brokers are market makers and make a lot of money when they take the other side of those trades. I think that before you can make your move in the small picture, you have to understand what’s happening in the big picture. But on the other hand if you’re trading a 5 or 15 minute chart, what relevance does a 200 moving average on a daily time frame?

I quote thelastbear when it comes to any analysis, “it’s a tough business out there.” The other thing traders forget how you start is not how you finish. I’m sorry but I don’t remember the trader who said " you have to spend a couple of years to see that indicators, and systems don’t work. I don’t totally agree but pretty close.