Can I trade in FX as a Chromebook user?

Just thought to ask this: as a chromebook user- and I do love it- can I continue with FX trading via this system instead of getting back to a windows box?

Cheers,
Longshot

Hi longshot… I have a Chromebook too and trade FX on it…

Just beware that any trading app or desktop version cannot

work, so you can only trade on the web-based version of

your broker’s platform and apps/indicators (in my case, FXCM).

Good luck x

Hey, PipMeHappy. Thanks for the reply. That’s where my demo account is (at FXCM), so great to hear that I can continue with the Chromebook. I love it and can’t imagine going back to a windows system for personal use. Appreciate the confirmation. Recommend anything in addition to Chromebook and FXCM?

Cheers,
Longshot

Hello Longshot, you are welcome…

See what Jason Rogers (of FXCM) had to

say about trading with the web version on

a Chromebook:
http://forums.babypips.com/forextown/58199-backtesting-fxcm-trading-station-demo.html

Cheers…

So cool… muchos gracias! :wink:

Do you think I’m at a disadvantage by using the trader (web version) of FXCM instead of the desktop version? What’s your take on it, fellow chromebook user?

Thanks!

Hi Longshot,

Our website includes a feature comparison of the different platforms FXCM offers. It is possible to use the advanced features of Trading Station Desktop on your Chromebook by connecting with a Virtual Private Server (VPS).

Hi, Jason. Appreciate the reply and comparison chart, and I have to say: love the FXCM web platform- especially as a chromebook user.

Yes, PipMeHappy was kind enough to share related info with me as he is a fellow chromebook user as well. You guys are awesome; thanks so much! Just got involved so still learning via the demo account, but soon enough… oh, boy. Love it :wink:

Thank you for your time here.

Cheers!

I’m still on the fence about getting a Chromebook. While I try not to commit to any one platform, I still use a lot of Windows-based documents. Do you find that Google alternatives to Word, Excel and Powerpoint are fully compatible with such documents? I’m considering a Windows-based tablet/laptop combo device.

Hello Jason and Longshot…

I think that the Chromebook is a very agile beastie

for word processing and spreadsheets, but it is

seriously limited for photography or any similar

activity requiring desktop-based applications…

I was and remain grateful for the little Chromebook

but in terms of processing power you get what you

pay for…

Hey, guys. Excuse the delay.

Honestly, I used to be addicted to the Windows platform and loved my blackberry z10- that is, until I was introduced to the chromebook and other Google services via Apps and my galaxy s4 etc. Not too long ago, if I wasn’t using Office 2013/365 or creating/replying to e-mail from my blackberry, I don’t know why, but I felt off and it was a tad “abnormal;” it was just a matter of habit, I suppose. Also, I really preferred an ssd in my box but the cost of a laptop (for me, at least) with an ssd, 8gb+ of memory, and so forth was always more money. After finding myself out of a job due to job elimination- company had financial difficulties- I needed a machine but at a much lower price-point, and somehow the idea came about to take a look at a chromebook, since it is a linux machine, offered an office suite via Google Apps, a fast browser (only chrome), and has a small ssd in it. Needless to say, I fell in love, and the speed was truly impressive; can’t tell you how much I love that it starts up in less than ten seconds. At the outset there is a learning curve to get used to Google Apps over MS Office, but once you get used to it, I venture to say that there is no looking back. Google Apps are amazing, and now I prefer Docs and Slides over MS Word and PowerPoint. But all this was good for [I]me[/I], I should say, since I never was an MS power-user like some addicts and die-hards I used to know, and truthfully, I never needed so much out of an office suite; I’m more of a minimalist when it comes to such things, and so Google has delivered for my needs. Give it a shot- you might like it. The more of a minimalist you are, the more you’ll love the whole ecosystem. Besides, my 13.3" Toshiba chromebook and Galaxy S4 phone are all I need, and everything syncs flawlessly. I can even edit all items in my Google Drive on my phone.

No fanboy here; just a convert that is enjoying his time in Google Land.

Cheers!

Thanks Longshot,

Have you ever run into issues where Word and Powerpoint docs would display incorrectly on Docs and Slides? Also, did anyone ever have difficulty viewing the docs you created on Google Apps with their MS programs?

PS: I have an S4 as well and it’s the best phone I’ve ever used, and I’ve had iPhones and HTCs in the past.

Dear Longshot and Jason,

I agree that the Chromebook is a great way to get about your typing and editing quickly, but there are indeed

a few glitches:

1. Word documents in Google Docs are not always good, especially when tables are involved;

2. more complex word processing functions may be completely lost on Google Docs…

While there will be progress made on Google Docs functionality, the heavy user of Word, for example,

will really get annoyed by the shortcomings of this software, making the desktop versions a no-contest

favourite, without a doubt…

I think, also, that for photography and anything desktop/locally-based, you really need a dedicated hard

drive and fast processing power… While the Linux OS copes with a lot for its size, its reliance for EVERY

programme on the Web means that: 1) if the internet is down you can work offline but may lose work

as you cannot sync it, or, you may not be able to access previous saved versions from the Web;

1. any quick work can become tediously slow, especially when the web-based version of your programme/

software is so much more basic or time-hungry than the desktop version…

I would not ditch the Chromebook (I am using it right now, to type this); however, it is like trying to ride

through town on a sports/racer bike: it is the wrong bike for the job - hit a pothole and your private parts

will get punched by the tank… ouch… Best to have two bikes: one with good suspensions for the potholes

(and with a comfortable seat), and one for ripping open on the out-of-town roads, head down…

For light work, the Chromebook is perfect; for anything more involved and high-spec, you will need

to change machine altogether…

Cheers.

Thanks PMH

Based on your feedback and my current computing needs, I think I’ll have to stick with my current Windows laptop until Google Docs improves.

You are welcome, Jason!

Besides, more and more of the ‘compublets’ (computer and tablet hybrids) and the latest Mac laptops have

faster reboot/shut down times, so whatever advantage the Chromebook has over the average laptop will

soon be outpaced. I am keeping this C’book until it dies but will be investing in a Desktop computer when

we move house - and finally will have a serious desk (rather than the couch) as a working space!

Cheers and good luck!

I must agree with PipMeHappy in the sense that Google Docs is not up to par with the capabilities of MS Office; that goes without saying. And I have certainly run into instances where MS Office files have not imported correctly into Google Docs (or Slides etc). With that being said, it all depends on your requirements, and I, too, have been thinking of getting a windows box for those cases where Word/Outlook etc will be needed (for work and so forth). My own preferences fall on Chromebooks for the reasons stated above- mainly because I, personally, don’t need more than what they offer and many of my tasks can be handled via a browser- but again, PipMeHappy is correct, without a doubt: best to have two bikes in that sort of town.

Cheers

you can try the Zoho office. the files are compatible in both windows and chromebooks.
for personal use it is free and available in chrome webstore.
check on this :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Yes, I use Zoho too, it is good…

Thanks, TheNightCrawler. Good recommendation. Really don’t want a windows box, as I’m truly loving the chromebook and can’t wait for them to make a medium-range model as the Pixel is simply overpriced. And I just got one for my mother, which is all that she will ever need out of a computer; I think the same goes for me.

Concerning FX trading, FXCM has all the charts and indicators I need (for a beginner), and by the time I reach an intermediate level, maybe more so will be on the web.

Cheers :slight_smile:

You’re right, Longshot

If you decide you want more advanced indicators for your Trading Station in the future, many are available for free at FXCMapps.com and FxCodeBase.com.