Issue with the Trend

How much data I need to look at to determine trend for Short Term Swing trading ?

I use daily chart.

Should I pull charts for 6 months daily data ?
Should I pull charts for 1 year daily data ?
Should I pull charts for 2 years and more data daily data ?

Hi Godzilla,

This probably depends on your definition of “short term”, for some people this is a day, 4hr, 1hr etc…

For a 5 minute chart, I look at the trend on the daily, 4hr and 1hr (and also volume).

my short term swing trading is maximum 2 weeks.

Please note I am not asking about timeframe ( you said 4 hrs , 1 hr etc)…what I am asking is the length of data .

Hope question is clear now .

IMO, you’re asking a very theoretical question which is going to be impossible to answer, unless you provide a specific instrument you’re trying to trade.

If you’re using a price chart, you’ll most likely only “need” the relevant price action to determine your swing points. It could be 3 months, 9 months, [B]or[/B] a year.

There are less hard and fast rules when it comes to trading.

Yes, must agree with Jake, All your questions are very theoretical and open ended allowing us no possibility to answer with any sense of direction. Do no be afraid to be very specific in your needs or disclosing your methodology. None of us will be interested because we have our own groove but members like Jake have a vast wealth of knowledge he can only share if you are more specific in your particular need

You just need the latest significant 2 highs and 2 lows.
If you use daily chart you should look for those recent 2 highs and 2 lows in the weekly chart, draw the lines and take it from there.

Hope this is practical enough.

I absolutely agree with you and with Jake (Forexunlimited): more context, please…

Keep asking the questions but bro. No such thing as a dumb question just dumb answers. Questions like yours remind us of the basics and its good never to forget the basics

Hey Godzilla,

I’m with the rest of the crowd here and agree with what they’ve said, but especially bobbillbrowne, there’s never a dumb question on here, so ask away until you’re satisfied :slight_smile:

This is something from another post I did on baby pips about Trend Definition, and goes along with what etfak has mentioned: 301 Moved Permanently