1 step forward, 2 steps back

Well, that is what it feel like for me at the moment. Every time I thought that I am making ground, I get set back with bad trades. Does that ever happens to you?

Bro you’re doing better than most. Normally the learning kerb is 1 step forward 3 steps back.

Don’t be discouraged but. Keep persisting. Remember it takes 4 years to complete an apprenticeship. No differrent here. Best of luck bro

Bob

You’re not alone with this feeling or else we’d all be making a killing out of this market. Especially after today’s volatility, it’s easy to see that we are just kids trying to play with the big boys and leveraging (over-leveraging?) ourselves in an attempt to compete, but that’s the nature of the beast that we all try to tame and understand.

Thanks Bob. Understood whole heartedly. Just gets frustrated when that happens. Thanks for the encouragement. And I am barely just starting out with my apprenticeship. :slight_smile:

Yeah, the volatile for today that is what killed me and my gain. I started out making good on the entry in the morning. And I gain at least about 50 pips on one of trade. Then when lunch time come around. It went upside down on me. Half of it was actually my doing for not being careful on if I set it to buy or sell. And I accidentally counter the other order I had. LOL!

Thanks for making me feel better.

Yeah i’m pretty sure everyone that traded today has a lot of “what could have been?” thoughts on their mind. For me, I end the day at breakeven but I went up 200dollars because I did not use a SL before losing the 200 when I decided to insert a SL before the pair quickly reversed and so, I am really considering the use of a SL in my trading plan. I use Support and Resistance in my analysis and so this is why I believe I could survive without a SL.

Ace my friend you speak for yourself lol. My main account grow 2% and I had a whopping 14% growth in my micro account ( I won’t tell you I lost 20% out of it on Mon then grow it by 15% on tues befor blowning almost all those gains lol).

Every day you learn a little bit more about yourself and a little bit more about speculating.

I have coined a saying to myself, Protect the profits lol,

Reminds me of another saying - never let a winning trade turn into a lossing trade. Geez I’m good at doing that!

Just keep at it, it is part of the learning progress. As long as you learn from your mistakes and do not repeat them at some point you should turn things around and move forward more than you move backwards. It can take years to get it right.

Years and years, yet at the start you think to yourself “how hard can this really be”? Ha, how wrong you are!

Like you I did not use the SL yesterday either. So I am forcing myself to enforce the rule of always use SL. This morning, I am currently using the TS in all my transactions. The first trade went sour and I took a lost, but after that I have been gaining gradually. Hopefully today will be a good day.

I like your concept. Now if I can keep it that way. It will be great. LOL! :33: Thinking… of the strategy… Thanks for the idea. :smiley:

Me and you both… I guess I am in the club… LOL!

OMG! LOL! About an hour ago I decided to cut some of my losses. And that put me in a deeper hole than I started. Now it decided that things are going my way. I could have saved some of my losses if I waited one more hours. LOL! :eek:

Oh, well I’ll take my whooping medication. And keep on pressing… :31:

I was actually saying with volatility like this, it is not wise to use a Stop Loss if you know what you are doing. Sometimes, stop loss should be a time and not a price. Case in point, NZDUSD just moved 60pips in either direction in a space of 15 minutes.

I’m up 80% today.

To have any chance at success long term you have to manage risk. The better you can manage it, the more success you will have long term. That means stop loss with every trade. You can use a stop loss and when it hits, counter it with another order. I don’t subscribe to that. But no matter what one of the ways you manage risk is by using a stop loss with every trade.

There’s only 2 reasons a stop loss gets hit. 1. You didn’t do your analysis properly. 2. You did your analysis based on the current information, but the market changed and went in another direction. It doesn’t matter what trading strategy you use, those are the only 2 reasons a stop loss gets hit. Just like there are only 2 ways to protect your capital. 1. Don’t trade. 2. Use a Stop loss. If you track how many times the market went in your favor without a stop loss and how many times your trade got taken out with a stop loss you’ll find better to have used a stop loss. Especially if once your stop loss got hit, if you did new analysis and traded successfully with some of the capital you saved in your previous trade that got taken out.

That’s what I found in my own trading. I think you have to learn that no matter what you will make mistakes and markets won’t co operate, the trick is to make the same mistake the least amount of times.
That’s my 2 cents
Gp

Yeah, I was riding that wave in the morning with AUDUSD. I think it went as far as 90 pips or more, but I only caught about 60 - 70 pips. (with multiple smaller trades) But I lost out big with GBPUSD when it went in the wrong direction, and my problem is I won’t let it go. I need to learn to just take the lost at a certain point. I learned my lesson (unfortunately). That (hopefully) will not happens again.

I know how you trade and some of your philosophies. My bet is you lost 75% of your account first bro lol. But with that said you have bigger balls that me and follow your plan though so nice pick up bro.

Actually the only accountS I have blown have been my profitable accounts which I detailed in my journal. I started trading with 50:1 leverage so this helped me get a hang of things before I discovered babypips and decided to step up my leverage.

With that said, my main advantage as a trader is that I am dynamic and once I see something is not working I look for a way to fix it, but I’m the stereotypical 1 step forward, 1 step backwards trader. For example, today I blew all my profit from yesterday because I got confused and panicked by the market’s reaction to the Canadian CPI.

And the lesson learned from today is to stop compounding as this is the prime source of 1 step forward, 1 step backward Keep your capital fixed for a set period even when winning because compounding increases your profits and especially your losses.

You are not the first one and not the last one for sure with this feeling. It’s going to be like that until you reach some consistent level of trading. Learn from your mistakes and try not to make the same again and again.