Should I trade or should I go!

Hi and thanks for reading my post.

I have been learning for 3.6 years now and I have pretty good knowledge of most things forex but I just cant get one thing right and that is be profitable.

I am pretty good at finding the start of trends of the daily but where I am failing is when markets get choppy.
For example I called the downtrend on Eur/Usd at the start of July when price hit 1.36716 and started to make its way back down. I then went down to the four hour charts and traded any pullbacks by watching stochastics 14,3,3 and using candlestick price action.

But what really wiped out my profits was the 9th of September to 17th of September period. I entered the market quite a few times with my s/l being hit. In hindsight what I could of done was drew a trend line and waited for the break then the pullback. But of course hindsight is a wonderful thing.

My question is how would you of approached this and how would you trade as it looked clear a few times that the trend was going to continue but instead just kept pulling back some more?

I should say only indicators I am using is stochastic and price action

I look forward to your reply’s and once again thank you for reading my post

1 Like

Hi Stainer,

A very common misconception by many traders are the ‘need’ to be ‘right’ in the market. Very often, we look at the charts, with/without indicators, and do our analysis. But yet, we are not mentally and consciously prepared to be on the wrong side of the analysis.

Perhaps what you need at the moment is a little confidence in your strategy/trade plan. This confidence can be built via sufficient back testing and/or forward testing. Try out small lot sizes first (an amount of which you are comfortable risking).

There is certainly no 100% win rate in trading.

Also, you can try to plan out two distinct strategies to tackle the market, (1) when the market is trending, and (2) when the market is ranging. Different trading strategies work particularly well in different market conditions.

Hope these help :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Kar Yong

Kar Yong, Thank you for your reply it is very much appreciated,
I understand what you are saying and I am prepared for loses but what I would really like to know was during this period was there any technical reasons I should of stayed away.
Or even fundamental reasons as there was the U of Michigan confidence release at the end of that week.

Does anyone have any sets of rules they follow in cases like this or is it just a cause of lose a few win a few more?

This actually comes with your personal trading experiences and dependent on your trading plan as well. Personally, my portfolio suffer in the September and December months. So I have the option to perhaps stop trading or trade less during these two months. So you have to figure out which months are really the non-performing months for your strategy.

Regarding the fundamental news data releases, some traders don’t like to trade during these news releases. So it is really up to your individual preferences. There is no right or wrong technically.

Yes, I believe everyone will need to have a sets of rules and baseline to follow. These should be in your trading plan, how are you going to engage the market, when to exit, etc.

The clearer your rules are, the less you will be affected emotionally as well :slight_smile:

Hey Stainer,

I read your post and can empathize with what you are saying. Essentially, what I am hearing from you is that you can spot a trending market and take profit from it, but when it consolidates/range, that is where you loose money when you try to pick tops/bottoms to take some profit, but eventually get stopped out. Am I correct is this assessment?

If that is the case, rather than trying to pick tops/bottoms, why don’t you enter a trade after you have a confirmation? During consolidation periods, trade on a smaller chart, say the 1hr or 5 min chart where things are clearer and the internal waves are more obvious. If it is in a bear trend and then it consolidates on the bottom (like your example), first you have to let it settle for a bit, meaning a range has to be defined whereby the tops and bottoms are clear. When you have a few tops and bottoms to define a range, then you can draw lines to define the channel in which it is ranging in. So whether you are going long or short, when the market hits the top of bottom of that channel, you can open a position and set the stop slightly outside of the range to limit your losses. Make sense?

Secondly, like what Kar Yong also touched on, it is also a matter of psychology/emotions. You’ve identified a trend, you took it and now you want some more. But the thing with consolidation is that it is a far different animal from a trending market. Like you said, it is choppy and hard to identify entry and exit points. It doesn’t mean that you lack the skill to trade the chop, so to speak, rather, there might not actually be any clear signals to enter at that point. You don’t have to take every single movement.

If you missed out on some pips during choppy markets, its okay. It is not a lack of skill on your part, the market is simply showing that it is undecided hence very hard to read. Think of it like a tide change, when the tide is coming in or out, you can see where it is flowing, but as it changes, it is very unclear. All you have to do is wait for it to resume its flow and then you can jump in. What do you think?

Lastly, when you look back at charts and see that you missed potential money moves, there is always a sense of regret. I could’ve taken that section of movement, or this section, etc. Hence, that really creates an impulse to trade all the time, rather than at times when things are clear. This I see as strictly psychology, the sense of gain and loss. When you can arrive at the place where you feel a greater sense of equanimity where taking money or losing money doesn’t shake you that much, then you can also be much clearer when to enter a trade and when simply to stand by the banks of the mental river and watch it go by without jumping in and feeling like you’ve lost something.

Hope all this helps!

Godspeed!

In addition to above, what you should do to get the maximum benefit to your post, is outline your trading method and money loss plan. The rules by which you take a trade such as: What’s your pre check trade list. What time frame or frames do you trade on, what are the rules for entry, stop loss and profit targets. Do you keep a regular journal on the trade you took, what you did right, what you did wrong. What is your money management plan. For example if your trading account started with $1100 what was your goal, build your bankroll while protecting your account balance, or protecting your account balance while building it. They sound the same but they are not. Those choices have to be made and should be made according to your experience, money situation and your daily life. It take s a little time but the stronger your understanding and practice of forex basics the easier it gets as you move from crawling, walking, running and racing. Hope that helps
Gp

How to Avoid Overtrading Choppy Markets | Mental Edge Trading