What moving averages do you use?

I have just added 3 moving averages to my chart, they are the 50,100,200 sma. Im trying to keep my chart as clean and not very crowded with indicators. What moving averages do you use if you do use them?? This is what my chart looks like.

also do you use ema’s? im not sure if i should or not

I mostly follow the trading method of Nial Fuller on daily time frame. Pure price action is used and only 2 EMA (8 and 21) are used in order to check the strength of the trend.

I am not using any and basically trade naked, get all my trading signals from the price, candlestick and chart patterns. Occasionally I may throw Fibo’s at my chart to confirm S/R.

I use 200 mostly and sometimes 50 and 20 for Daily and lower time frames… For Weekly I always use 40, on Monthly I use 12… I use exponential as it has slightly better reaction to price changes, and found out that for me it’s better to use just one moving average per chart and not to clutter it with indicators (but when you have to, you have to) :slight_smile:

I am looking at the 50/200 on the D1 chart and have the 13/26 on my H1 chart.

I use MDMA.

Be careful when using Moving averages. It is a very lagging indicator so i would recommend only using it to determine trends or looking for exits. But because it is a lagging indicator, it can be very inaccurate at times.

For instance, for it to move from a downtrend MA to an uptrend MA. It would need to move quite a bit in the uptrend direction for the MA to register and show you that trend. And in that upwards movement, you would assume it is still a downtrend and possibly lose lots of trades. so be careful when using it. I prefer using price action/ Support and resistance lines. But if you do want to use indicators, look at something less laggy like Stochastic Oscillator or CCI.

Hi Forexcrisp. I have been reading Nial’s articles for a while but I haven’t bought his product.

Have you bought it? and in your opinion is it worth it?

I started with a simple moving average cross and confirmation with an oscillator, but changed up cause too many false crosses, then I went to COMA strategy = Correct Order of Moving Averages 200 SMA, 100 SMA, 50 EMA and 12 EMA. the order of the medium term EMA’s was confirmed with longer term SMA’s didn’t like it cause it kept me in the trade too long.

Now I use the 3 ducks system with VSA and a doji candle pattern. When the 3 time frames match up with the VSA and starts with a doji, the result is very high probability trade. Since this is a MA thread I’m going to include only the link to the ducks.
http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/6580-3-ducks-trading-system.html

Andy offers an upgrade for a fee. I’m not vouching for that as I have not purchased it. He seems to get a lot of positive posts in his thread, but like I say I haven’t purchased it so can’t vouch for it. Having said that, I really like the 3 ducks.
Gp

I’ve found his course best among all the courses offered till date. I wasted 1.5 years of mine in trying to learn trading by myself but when I got his course it made a super great change in my trading mentality and my approach towards forex market.

Not a big fan of Moving averages. But I use EMA 21 for Price action trading.

I use the 8 and 21 ema on the daily for trend and s&r. Not much use for other indicators or ma’s.

I use 10, 20, 50 and 200

I use the 50 and 200 SMA as well, but only to decide the direction (bullish or bearish) of my trades. I think these are better for bigger movements. But basically your trading system is going to tell you the right combination. :slight_smile:

None on my Price Action trading, and 60sma on the 3 Ducks strategy

MACD and 5-day EMA are my favorites but I also do occasionally combine the 50-day MA and the 200-Day MA when trying to identify major trend reversals.

Just the most common one: 50SMA. I’m a really newbie :48: