What Determines Base and Counter Positions?

Hi,

I’m still cramming before I do my first mock trade.

I noticed that, e.g., in most EUR and USD pairings, the EUR is almost always the base, and the USD is almost always the counter. Why is that? Is it because most of the trades between the two open with USDs buying EURs? Some other reason?

Thanks,
Vpip

Hello, Vpip

This paragraph from a previous post will answer your question —

Great question, excellent answer. Many may never bother to learn things about trading forex outside of how to enter/exit their positions and how to come up with a strategy. Nice to see that there are traders out there who actually try to learn about trading.

Thanks Clint,

You added one more ingredient to my understanding: The pairing positions are by international agreement; but perhaps you or someone else can answer this, which is what I’m trying to get at: Is there any reasoning behind why the EUR precedes the USD, and the same with all the other pairings. It’s hard for me to accept that the positioning decisions are just arbitrary.

Thanks again,
Vpip

Thanks for your encouraging words, Lastbear. Let’s hope it all plays out in profits! :wink:
And I wish the same for you!

Vpip

Since its inception in 1999 and as stipulated by the European Central Bank, the euro has first precedence as a base currency over all other currencies.

Typically, the currency that is worth more per unit tends to be the base currency in a pair. Notable exceptions are AUD and NZD which are base currencies versus the US dollar due their historic associations with the British empire and GBP.

Thanks everyone’s for a very interesting and informative thread

Then I have a question… I should maybe ask the actual broker about this but maybe one of you know.

I have several accounts at different brokers, and I have noticed by running trough CMC Markets currency library that I can actually choose what I want to be base and counter currency.
I can choose to trade EUR/USD or USD/EUR - they are both listed… and that goes for more or less the rest of all currencies too.

Thanks Jason,

That gets it for me.

Best to you,
Vpip

Because it’s comfortable to make calculations, etc. when it’s 1.xx rather than 0.xxx