What is a good amount to start trading with?

Thank you all for your input. I am taking notes on the substance and links you guys are posting.
Wish I could respond to everyone right now but I don’t have a lot of time right now. Perhaps later. :slight_smile:

Get an Oanda account, and throw in $20. If your using MT4, You need $50 at least.

There is NO reason to start with $10,000… That number is for the long haul, at 5% gain a year, easy money.

Demo is cool, it keeps you inline. I trade both demo and Real at the same time.

Oanda you can trade very small increments which is great for a new trader. At the end of the day, a pip is a pip. ANd thats all you need to focus on, is that PIP, not the money.

Waiting on the $250 income tax money, tells me you have no money to burn, so dont do it. That gives you 4.5 months to learn and chip away with real money on a super small scale, but also learn with real, hard earned cash.

$10,000 at 1% a day will give you $500 profit a week, and thats what alot would be happy with, but we dont have that luxury, so we have to take the hard, dirty, dusty, potholed road to make it…

Best of Luck,

I hate to sound like a broken record, but you simply cannot estimate what someone else can make in the forex market. I know you have probably heard it over and over, but it all comes down to individual skill, strategies, and tolerance to a harsh learning curve.

If you want to look at statistics, 90% of traders lose money. If you want anecdotal evidence, I’m making about 1%/day. The only way to know how much you can potentially make (and whether it’s worth your time) is by opening up a Demo account and seeing how well you fare personally.

Don’t bother putting in $250 if your goal is to make money - demo trade for awhile and if you want to continue then go for at least $1000. I don’t know if you play Poker, but you never go in to a table with the Minimum Buy-in simply because the laws of probability will kick in no matter how good you are.

If you look at that link, you’ll see what actual professional traders have been making, going back decades. An annual average would be around 20%…but this comprises an interval of returns ranging from high double digit returns years to down years. No one can say in advance what you’re going to make next year.
As to Akil and Stapleton… the fear I have regarding guys selling trading related stuff and posing as professional traders, but with no proof whatsoever, is that I’m going to be lead astray. If they really were proficient at trading, they would show it, because it would only help their business.

We will be getting an estimate of nearly $7,000.00 in our upcoming income tax return. All of which is extra money. We can throw away $250.00 at that time, no problem. Heck we can throw $1,000.00 away without hurting at all.
I’m throwing these figures out there because I am not lying - I really can do without this money… so I want to trade with it.

Yo Man, I understand that. What Im trying to implicate is, at this time, meaning Aug 14, 2015, you dont have it, and no money to burn NOW.

Why I said, practice with $20 bucks, have fun, and learn, so when your big step up is ready, YOUR ready.

Im with you bud, I know your intentions and your situation. Im pullin for ya.

I looked at the link (I also saved it in my portfolio) and I didn’t understand what I was looking at.
It doesn’t help me right now since I’m at the very basic level of understanding.
Also it was so much information all over the place. I won’t be able to go through any of that until I’m more advanced in my education.

As far as Akil and Jason, of all their videos I’ve been watching, they have been trading the exact same things I’m learning about in the Pips School. I am watching them to see people actually put what I’m learning into practice. I am very visual, so I am going to go to videos regardless of what anyone says. Otherwise, I will lose interest if I go to a website like the one you linked full of garbled walls of text. If Akil and Jason are trying to mislead me, they don’t seem to be doing such a great job of it since their stuff is pretty elementary so far.
But don’t think your caution goes unnoticed. I do appreciate the concern. :wink:

Oh I see now! Well… I’ll have to take that up with the wifey and see what she says. If she is ok with it, then I don’t see why not just throw twenty bucks in there and mess around. Actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea. That way I could apply what I am learning right now to some real money and real trading. Why not! :slight_smile:

Ideaonscribe
maybe u can try this
Establish your trading rules
Do 20 demo trade.
Check your winrate
Go live if winrate 75%
Go for another 20 trade on live
Then another 20 trade
Then another 20
20 by 20 u evaluate yourself
At any point when live acc winrate become less than 75% per 20 trade. Go back to demo 20 trade and when u get 75% winrate on demo again.Return to live.

My rationale for going back to demo when winrate go below 75% per 20 trade is this… market conditions have changed. You need to be able to adapt to the new market conditions and quickly change strategy to cope with the immediate market conditions. Most people are too rigid to adapt… be flexible. Things change now and then , nothing remain the same indefinitely. You are the holy grail not the strategy.

It is also not wise to trade live when your confidence are low. Execution wise, you may not be as adept as before.

It has two factors,you and your broker.Some brokers offer a minimum of $5 to start with as other $20 an the rest,essential you can go ahead with the minimum deposit offered by your broker as a trial and practical ground,from there if you are more comfortable you can opt to deposit more,buy more lots and start trading effectively :cool:

Unparalleled Fund Safety. . 3 tiers of safety not many will have that. Easy Funding & Withdrawal no more long hours,days or even week to enjoy your profits. See it to believe it… fullertonmarket

Want to know more just drop me an email and find out more.

300$ to 500$ is the perfect and ideal amount to start forex trading, it is because that strong capital is the key to get success and we should do forex with big investment in order to earn big profit.

I agree with you, in Asian countries, it is a good amount for trades to start with. Afterwards if a trader is getting good in his performance, then he can increase the trading amount.

I think that for a starting Deposits an amount of $100 is good but if we are looking for getting more income from our trades then a minimum investments of $500 would be required.

For newbies better start on small amount of money for them to just try if their ability if it will work

This is only ideal if your intent is to learn to trade and you use cent account to trade this amount. Otherwise, you’ll get wiped out quickly.

Boss,

You sound like a articled trader like me and the most important thing for now is to learn the tricks of FX markets and trading. I myself would be depositing $200 next week with my broker just to get over the psychology of trading in real money. Win or lose its fine , its going to be a learning curve for me.

I suggest take that $250 and use it as a measure of how far you have gone as a trader and then you take it from there. If you are good the you can start stressing about the size of your capital base.

I think more than $100 is preferable to start trading in Forex if you can afford more than this amount you are good to go with Forex trading. But it is better that you should try this amount with demo work so that you can have an idea what investment is preferable to you.

Depends upon your broker as well. In my case i use market profile indicator and spreads plays an important role this strategy. If brokers are using large spreads then chances are there that most of the time i would hit my SL