Coding an EA

I have come across Robopip’s series from a year ago on coding an EA from scratch. Reading it is fascinating, especially as I am wishing to learn to code.

However, when I enter the Editor on Peperstone, I come up with different screens, with different ‘headings’ - OnInit, OnDinit, OnTick. Nowhere do I find the screen with ‘inputs’, ‘start’ etc.

Am I looking at the wrong screen, or has the programming changed in more recent versions. I am running MQL4.

Help would be appreciated.

Hi there, can you post a link to the posts you are refering to. It may be possible that he doesn’ t use MQL. I never had a look at his blog.

But I code in MQL, so if you direct me to it I can help you out.

Anywhere else to find a good EA besides MQL5.com?

The only bots that work are the ones you build yourself. But learning to code is not that hard. Lets face facts, one has a lot of time on ones hands between trades.

To the OP, here’s a good PDF to get started with. But it was written before MT4 was upgraded to be more windows compatible. However, the principles still remain the same. I’m not a programmer or pro trader. I make things from milk. But have learnt a thing or two. Programming bots to test strategies is one of them and definitely gives you an edge. But you need quality data to back test.

Happy reading

expert_advisor_programming.zip (1.41 MB)

1 Like

Totally agree on this. Nobody would sell a good consistant profitable EA. It is logical if you think about it.