How long does a trend have to be a trend for it to be a trend?

Hi guys,

How long does a trend have to be a trend for it to be a trend ?

For example,

The EUR/USD has been trending down since 11th/ 12th. But it has been trending up since almost 8th or before that.

So what would you consider its trend in general (if you did not take into account other indicators, which by the way, are indicating a down trend on hour chart)

Thank you

It depends what time frames you use to determine when to trade. Study at the pipschool here, it’ll save you time any money in the long run

Everything under H4 I consider as a noise. For I to establish if the price is trending or ranging I am using longer time frames and using shorter time frames for entry points.

5 Ema / 10 Ema crossover of the daily or weekly charts could be used as down or uptrend. Also trend line breakouts of daily or weekly charts.

How long is a piece of string???

What is “noise”?

For your question above,
In My opinion, No one knows how long the trend will form.
There are different trend in different time frame. there is 1HR trend, There is 4HR trend. it really depend in which time frame you are playing.

in Uptrend . the chart must show Higher High an Higher Low
in Downtrend. the chart must show Lower Low and Higer Low.

Baby pips provide you with the learning in the school section. read it up. it is very useful

So will 30m and up considered long time frames?

Depends how long you plan staying in the trade. I use H4 to look for trends but I know others who use D1 for this

I agree. Everything below the 4-hour time frame gives short-term signals and cannot be used to determine a trend.

I, personally, prefer to use 1-day even, rather than the 4-hour time frame.