Trading with a full time job just may be impossible

With good planning and focus you can balance it off…but 15 minutes sleep is not good…for your health too.

Not really - as lexys suggested above, if you’re trading continuously daytime and possibly evenings, when do you learn? And how do you learn faster than you are losing.

But in addition, its more about attitude than time. Day-trading attracts action-focused get-rich-quick newbies - they’re likely to gamble and follow hunches and tips, go way too deep on a good looking position, and all without a proper exit plan. They will get excitement from screen-watching and tracking live news and will feel compelled to constantly play with their open trades. Day-trading also causes an inevitable focus on daily P/L, and a pressure to have more wining days than losing days.

You’ve misinterpreted what I’m trying to say here, but each to their own :slight_smile:

Well I believe you’ve actually misinterpreted the difference between day-trading and longer-term trading. Its not frequency of trading, its attitude. The difference is not as simple as making the same trades in the same way but in a shorter time period. I say the two types of traders are different types of people.

But maybe there’s something else you mean?

I’ve not attempted to define the difference between day trading and longer term trading, tommor.

I was however suggesting that with the same level of experience, or perhaps inexperience, the end result will be the same.

So to suggest to new aspiring traders that you have more ‘chance’ of longer term success by choosing ‘swing trading’ is, quite honestly, totally ludicrous and opinionated. It is not objectified, or proven to be true.

You just love promoting your own website, don’t you.
If you want to advertise it, why not pay for a proper advert?

I agree Jezz,
Something else to concider, is the risk put into these trades. a trader using the 4Hr TF, should of course expect larger drawdowns and there for, need " More Rope" to let wrong trades run further, without great risk. hence, 1-2% margin per trade.

And note i said “Expect Larger Drawdowns” because I personally think 4H and even daily, get more traders in trouble then what is made aware of. You really have to know and understand Fundamentals more clearly then a swing trader, or shorter term trader.

I probably have it all mixed up, as I think Swing, Day, scalper, longterm, shortterm are all misinterpreted in the forex world.

There reasoning for long term survival as per tradingmakesmoney referance, is again, the less risk PER MARGIN TRADE, using less risk thru very little skin in the game to begin with.

All comes down to time, Because Jack (ex) got in on Monday, risking 1% on a 2% Margin useage, can let his trade run 300 pips negative, then rebound half, then consolidate, then run 50 pips, then consolidate, then run against him again for 50 pips, by this time, its Thurday, he’s 120 pips negative, Then Friday, he gets in the positive by 30, moves to break even, spread gap at 4pm, hits his breakeven, been in trade for a week, and gained NOTHING.

But, at least he lost nothing, and to top it off, He took a week to prove his system is at least breakeven, even tho 1,000’s of pips went both ways between his open, his drawdown, and ultimately the close.

but, at least he lasted a long time not losing money. So, is it a gain of time, or is it a lose of time?

Absolutely right. Impossible is nothing but yea it’s very hard to both trade and work simultaneously also if you have a full-family. It takes just a second for some uncertainty to happen and also even in seconds you can lose a one good trade, so to make choice at that time it is very difficult. That is why I say it’s not at all an easy task.

Impossible is an Opinion

I think some persons are dedicated full time to trading with other part-time job, not full time job. If you ask me, it would be better to stick to your full time job if it fetches you good money.

how do you think is it possible to trade on forex only and do not work in any other place? ?

Common and Rasuli

There are a lot of full time forex traders, lexys being just one.
There are others who, for various reasons do not have full time jobs (unemployed, retired, life style choice). Still more are currently working full time and trading part time until their trading becomes sufficient to enable them to quit their other job.

We all want and need different things from life, its wrong to assume we should all be the same

So, how? How should you trade to be good enough?

You can start by reading the School of Pipsology here on Babypips, and then go to educate yourself further from there. Study, practice, study, practice, and so on and so forth. I can’t think of any other advice beyond that.

I know how and I don’t need the advice.

What I’m wondering though is whether Dervi knows anything at all.

As forex market opens 24x5 days but it does not mean to do forex all the time, you should make the proper planning and strategy and trade minimum time for quality results, never stick with forex all the day or night in order to avoid the terrible situation.

Hi, there! I want to advice you this article, maybe it will help you: How To Become A Profitable Trader With A 9 To 5 Job - 12 steps

It is possible to trade with a full time job; it’s just we need to have a proper time and risk management. We should maintain a trading journal to keep a track of every trade and trading mistakes so an improved strategy can be adopted for better results. If we follow a proper trading plan we can successfully trade forex along with a full time job.

Indeed possible might for trader treat as full time business, like as pro trader that already able trading for living, but might still so many trader choose forex as part time because they fear if relying from forex alone this can’t giving stable income from trading, sometime loss occured

I think the bigger question here is whether one can have a full-time job and be consistently profitable while trading Forex. Thoughts?