Experienced advise with setting up trading desk

I have decided that I can no longer try and trade using just a laptop for several reasons including the size of the screen and not being able to see the charts in a better size and more of it also I find myself spending so much time opening and closing windows and resizing charts etc and takes me away from the concentration of looking at the charts.

I think that a strong PC with two 21" screens should be a good start. I would appreciate any help and advice from any traders who have experience with this and can advise some dos and don’ts and what is a must regarding required hardware and setup.

Also might seem a bit daft but do most of you use a windows operating system of MAC as I like the simplicity of an imac but not too sure if I would come up against many compatibility issues later on with regards to software and adding any additional hardware I might need as I hopefully become more experienced and have to add to my tools.
Thankyou

I use Windows. (I have Windows 7 now, having previously used XP until a few weeks after support for it was withdrawn by Microsoft, and I’m resisting upgrading to Windows 10 until they withdraw support for Windows 7. I won’t use Windows 8.)

I have one screen only (I think it’s probably 24" - they’re measured diagonally, aren’t they?).

I’ve never wanted a second screen. I know many traders have multiple screens but I’ve never seen the point, for myself, because I think it’s less effort to click on a Window tab than it is to have to look in a different direction. I can only look at one at a time, so I do everything on one screen: a few trading-chart windows, my online backgammon games (which give me something to do between trades and keep me patient while waiting for them to materialise) and the BBC iPlayer so I can watch (or at least listen to) [I]The Daily Politics[/I] every day, and all those BBC2 and BBC4 documentaries - anything non-fiction, that I can treat more or less like the radio and not have to concentrate when I don’t want to, or look at the picture-screen very often. When I’m not playing CD’s, that is. I do have a high-powered PC to run it all at once (an Intel “i7 chip”, whatever that means) and very high-speed cable internet.

I can trade from my laptop, if necessary, and I sometimes do when I’m (actually quite often) away from home for many weeks at a time, but it’s not as comfortable as a bigger screen.

All you need is one laptop with even minimum performance one execution in right time thats it , set and forget it

For the value, you can get a much better (faster) Desktop than a laptop.
Over the years, I’ve found 2 or 3 monitors to be best- for me. I use a 21" CPU monitor (as my “main” screen) and a 30" flat screen insignia TV to house 7 or 8 other charts. Keep my laptop and another screen hooked up to that (totalling 4), for news and anything else I need to access.

Ipad (streaming CNBC) and cell phone as backup tools to access mobile trading in case desktop goes down.
100MB internet.

It all depends on what kind of trading you are intending to do. Your success in trading is certainly not solely related to the amount of equipment you can set up. I have only used one laptop for many years. It travels with me wherever I go. At home, at the summer cottage, and like last week, on holiday in the UK Shropshire hills! But then I ONLY ever trade EURUSD and ONLY technical therefore I do not need news feeds or multiple screens. And I usually ONLY have one trade at a time open. On the other hand, when I was working on the trading desk in an international bank dealing room I had four screens - domestic markets, foreign markets, technicals, and news services.

If you are monitoring multiple markets and news etc then you might well need more equipment. What I am saying here is match your equipment with your needs and keep it as simple as possible. Exceptional equipment will not generate exceptional profits - but inadequate info may well inhibit them. Let your needs define your equipment.

I do completely understand that big spending will not necessarily increase my trading results however I do want to have every possible chance of success and even if it increased my trading results by a fraction I would consider it a result for myself.
Thankyou for your advice sir.

Hey there,

good question…

Here is an old thread about this:

Trading does not necessarily require the fastest or newest computer hardware. A laptop is usually sufficient to start manually trading.

In my opinion, having multiple monitors does help with productivity. I find that dual monitors is the perfect amount for most people, once you have a dual setup it’s almost impossible to go back to using just one screen. A triple monitor set up takes time for the user to get used to; I remember I used to always forget to utilize one of them when I first had it set up. But once you’re used to it, a triple monitor setup is just great. I have had quad and hex monitor setups before, and although they look impressive, they are more of a pain than anything and I find lowers productivity.

As for operating system, chances are Windows 10 is your best bet. OS X will have compatibility issues with most commercial trading software and it’s not worth limiting your selection because of it.

For hardware, a medium-grade PC or laptop should do the trick. If you wanted a custom built machine, a 4th-gen (or higher) i5/i7 CPU, 16GB DDR3 memory, and a GTX 700 series (or higher) graphics card will be more than enough to support a dual or triple monitor set up. If anyone needs help with choosing parts to build a computer, I’m more than happy to help. :slight_smile:

With that being said, as an algorithmic trader the requirements for hardware are higher than that of a manual trader. My personal setup is a bit complex, but here’s the basics:

CPU: Intel Core-i7 5960X
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32GB
Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe
Graphics Card: EVGA Titan X SC (2 of them in SLI)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
Main Storage: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB
Secondary Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (2 in RAID 0)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Monitors: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q (3 of them)

For cooling, I’m on a fully water-cooled loop.

If anyone is interested in the parts I chose and why, just ask, I can justify it. And yes, it’s a COMPLETELY OVERKILL build for majority of people, at almost $11,000. I use this setup for developing trading strategies, but also for video and photo rendering, virtual reality and other hardware intensive tasks.

I’d post a picture right now, but I’m in the middle of renovating the office. Should be good by Monday, and I’ll take some. :slight_smile:

When setting up what I wanted to trade on I took on the saying of “dress for the position you want not what you have”. Meaning if I wanted to be serious about this then not only invest the time but also invest the tools to give me the most advantages :slight_smile: I didn’t go too crazy ,but I went ahead and invested $1,700 on a 3 screen HP set up from my local Best Buy. They had sales going on all of this equipment.

–Tower HP - ENVY Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 12GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive
– 3 27" HP LED Monitors

I like the three screens because I hate toggling between applications on single monitor. I have my center screen running my trading software and a 5 m chart. Right screen runs two sets of charts (15 M & 1 H) then my left screen runs 4H charts. I originally planned using the third screen for internet sessions revolving around research, but that fell to my laptop screen :slight_smile: I also have a tablet connected to wireless and a phone on 4G for backup. Does this make me a better trader than a dude on a laptop…NOPE, but from a physiological standpoint it is a lot more calming for me to simply look across multiple screens then constantly clicking around looking at different charts.

Think of it this way, if you are a 20 handicap golfer playing with a second hand set of clubs you bought at a yard sale. Is spending 5 grand on a costume set of clubs going to make you a scratch golfer, not likely, it may even make you a worse golfer having clubs you do not know how to use.

Plan and simple, unless you are a professional fund manager, managing multi client accounts, there is little need as a retail trader to have a professionals setup. Now if you are like me and want more desktop space, most laptops ( at least mine does) allows you to attach an external monitor and extend your display. When working at my desk I have my laptop plugged into a 22" monitor so I can have charts on one screen and research on the other, but when on the go all I need is my laptop and a good Wi-Fi connection. If my laptop would to die tomorrow, I likely would replace it with the Microsoft Surface Pro, I think they are cool. Bottom line, save your money

Clark must game in his other life

Not as much as I used to. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your feedback some great information to consider.

I do hope one day I’m able to help out others when I myself become a consistently profitable trader.

With a “[U]when[/U]” and not an “[U]if[/U]” there you are [I]certain [/I]to succeed! Great positive thinking! :smiley:

Still lots of wiring and hardware to work on, but here’s the current state of my office, had some decent natural light this morning so I couldn’t resist taking out the camera. Might even go fly the drones once the wind dies down a little.

Is that a brain cooler over your head? Cool! :smiley:

Either that, looks like, or a bit of dental or neurosurgical equipment? The chair itself looks straight out of a Porsche, or something … and what’s with the drones in the background? :wink:

That is the Yeti microphone and pop filter, Radius II shockmount, on a Rode PSA1 microphone boom arm.

The chair is from DXRacer’s Drift series line; very comfortable for long periods of sitting.

One of my hobbies is photography/videography, especially aerial. The one on the right is the DJI Phantom 4, and the one on the left is the DJI Phantom 3 Professional. Both shoot in 4K video. :slight_smile:

This was shot a month ago at sunset, right above my backyard, about 300 feet up.

Cool … I see: they really are drones; I wasn’t sure! (Was also wondering if you’d had Amazon deliveries and kidnapped them.)

Fantastic!!!