Trailing stop loss question

Hi everyone I’m still using this method on a demo account for the moment but had a question regarding trailing stops.

The system I’ve learned is more long term because I have work commitments etc, so I tend to trade over a period of weeks rather than intraday trading. So far the system has been working pretty well and so I just want to know if my trade goes into profit, what would be an ideal distance for a trailing stop loss. I only say this because I know of whipsaw effects in trends where the price reverses against for a period of time and then reverses back into a trend. I only trade at £1 per point because when I eventually go live I can only afford to use £1000 capital. I tend to set my stop around 50-100 pips.

Impossible to answer for a number of reasons.
Different pairs have different levels of volatility, so 30 pips might be reasonable on one pair but totally inadequate for another
There’s also the individuals trading plan, how many pips you wouldbe comfortable taking bearing in mind the risk you are taking.
Do you think the pair has legs, although there may be a temporary adjustment, do you believe price will soar and you don’t want to risk being stopped out beforehand?
On an account of your size, I personally would trade 0.01 or 0.02 lots, never opening a new trade until existing trades had some profit locked in by a stop.
There are traders comfortable waiting months for trades to turn around, im not quite that extreme but I would wait a couple of weeks.
This is discussed more on my Balls of Steel thread, if you want to take a peek

Respectfully, Adam, that may eventually be suicidal for your account. Nobody can realistically afford position-sizes up to 10% of their bankroll.

It’s [I]extremely[/I] unlikely that it can be sensible for you to expose more than 2% of your account to risk on any individual trade. On that basis, if you want a 100-pip stop-loss, then with an account of £1,000, you need 100 pips to represent a maximum of £20, which in turn means that your appropriate position-sizes should be a maximum of 20p (not £1!) per pip.

When I first started trading, I needed £1,000 desposited in my account for every £1-per-pip of position-sizing, but my [I][U]maximum[/U][/I] stop-loss was [B][U]20[/U][/B] pips, not 100 pips. You’re clearly in a very different position from that.

A re-think/re-appraisal on the above issue is needed, before you start!

Regarding trailing stops, my own opinion is that in general, for most systems, [I][U]most[/U][/I] of the time, they lose money. I have several different reasons for believing this …

(i) When I tested my own five little systems, only one of them gained from a trailing stop: the others all lost;

(ii) In other forums, when I’ve occasionally made this comment, I’ve always had some “Good heavens - you’re right!” comments from people who have methodically backtested it for the first time and realised that they were more profitable without the trailing stop;

(iii) [B][U]All[/U][/B] the authors whose textbooks I really respect and whose opinions have proven right and beneficial to me in other areas seem fairly opposed to trailing stops. Authors like Linda Bradford Raschke explain in their books in more detail than I can, in a forum-post, why they’re such a bad idea, overall.

They always look and sound attractive and appealing, but it’s very easy to lose count of the times a trade starts off doing well and then retraces a bit (just enough to take out the trailing stop, which has of course moved during the initial phase of the trade), before continuing on its merry way in the “right direction”. So the times that trailing stops cost money tend to be “opportunity cost” money, i.e. you make less than you might have done, i.e. they’re profitable trades anyway (often) which is why one doesn’t always “notice” as much as one would if one were looking at actual losses.

I’m not, myself, willing to use automated trailing stops in the absence of [B]really[/B] clear-cut, statistically valid proof that they’re better than other methods.

Dont use it You must give the room of risk and loss to your trade, use trail stop when price reach your target by bring the sl lever to lock profit position ,Maybe you can shorten your take profit instead and go back in the market again which still i dont recommend any of these at the end thats just my advice and you can do whatever you want to do

So basically am I better in avoiding trailing stops and moving the S/L when the trade goes into profit? and only trading at 0.20pp?

Only detailed statistical analysis of a statistically significant sample-size can answer that question.

My own previous research has shown me that there just isn’t a “one answer fits all systems” to that question, but my impression is that avoiding trailing-stops is very [I]likely[/I] to be beneficial, overall (as long as you replace them with something that works better than they do!).

You derive position-sizing arithmetically, from a range of relevant inputs to do with your proven edge. (If you want to learn about this subject from a suitable beginners’ trading textbook, I strongly recommend Van Tharp’s [I]Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom[/I], and if you look around online you’ll probably find a free PDF copy of it to download. No criticism implied at all, but you’re nowhere near ready to trade with real money at the moment, Adam.)

But in the [I][U]absence[/U][/I] of any information about what you’re doing, how you’re trading, what your win-rate is, what your profit-factor is, what your maximum favourable and adverse excursions are, and the other [I]basic[/I] parameters you need to know to make these decisions, I would certainly be taking £0.20 per pip as a [I][U]maximum[/U][/I], on the basis of what you’ve said so far.

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. I have tried 0.20 on CMC but I think their minimum per point is 0.5…

The only reason I’ve sort of been having high stops is the fact that I only do about 2-3 trades a month, but I know its not easy and I am learning everything that I can. I’ll keep practicing with the demo account :slight_smile: