Realistic pip expectations

I am still learning how to trade and have started a demo account, but I was wondering how many pips on average is a realistic goal? I would like to set a goal, but find it a bit difficult from all of the different numbers I read that people are obtaining.

Newbie mistake, thinking in terms of pips. This question is like asking how long a piece of string is?

On average 2 457 189 pips

Notice you’ve been a member over 2 years, what have you been up to? Trading? , studying?
Your first goal should be to acquire some knowledge, the school here is excellent. Then you’ll understand Bobbillbrowne’s reply

I think lexy has the best goal - to trade tomorrow!

Its only a matter of time before someone posts “××× pips”, happens every time this question gets asked. You can set whatever target you like but if you risk your account trying to hit target then it’s all irrelevant. Unfortunately, ive yet to see anyone cone back to say they were wrong and blew their account. Maybe they were all right, although I strongly doubt it

Pips is just pips. Pips without taking into account the percentage of risk per trade. Means nothing. Use babypips’s tool position size calculator. Or pip value tool . And their Rr tool

This x 100.
The best goal is to be able to go to bed @ night, knowing you have enough gas in the tank to get back in the markets tomorrow.

i always said, its good to settle and appreciate a positive out come, rather than seek a goal that migh end up badly, i mean, if you get10 pips a week then its good, if i end up with a break even results im still grateful, anything but a lose is good :slight_smile:

Thank you … well, possibly not in this case, I suppose, as tomorrow’s Saturday. But in general … :cool:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with thinking in terms of pips, in fact as long as you can trade your strategy based solely on pips-risk/pips-reward it takes a huge part of the $ based psychology out of the equation. The trick is to size your lots so that your preferred pip risk = 1% then forget about money altogether. It’s working for me and I expect it to be a big help when it comes time to increase the size of my account.

Having said that… having a goal number of pips in mind when entering a trade or day or week is completely backwards, the market will offer what it offers and you better be prepared to take as much of it as possible whether that’s 2000 pips or 2.

Yes, it is only a perception as to how much income we will be able to make. As far as i can see the newbie traders are more interested in making pips while the experienced traders are always looking for Dollars :wink:

I’ve tried learning how to trade multiple times, and two years ago due to frustration and knowing that I wouldn’t be able to raise the capital I needed to start trading made me quit. I am now more determined then ever to learn how to trade as well as practice on a demo account before I invest. However in this point of my life I can actually save a decent amount to trade with and let it compound

Well thanks for that insite. I know to trade based on 1-2% of my capital but thought it would make things easier to have a specific goal in mind

The point is, if youre earning xxx pips in one pair but losing xxx pips in another pair, the monetary values arent necessarily equal. Thinking in terms of pips only works if you only trade one pair

Try to not to focus on how many pips you will make. Since you are a newbie and still learning, you should focus on getting trading experience. However, I would recommend you to spend less time on demo trading and once you get familiar with the trading platform you should move to a live trading (small live account of course).
There you can start trading making mistakes and learning from them. So, once again try to focus on a trading experience and developing a trading strategy.

Just got to accept what the market is offering at the time bro. It all boils down on how you trade.

Having a specific goal can only lead to disappointment. For us home based armchair traders, there are no rules.

I ever try to make realistic goals never think I will double my amount in each trading , My expectations are to collect profit pips even they are some because I can be far from loss having something in my pocket. If think of higher pips may be it is not possible to get . Small pips are easy to get , why not get them surely.

You goals should be according to your planning and strategy, never trade with big target of pips getting as forex is risky and unpredictable business, ever try to get the minimum pips in order to survive in forex efficiently.

pips are irrelevant. If you want to know how much you potentially can make look at daily average. Think in %, hope its help