What to make of the Rand?

Hello All,

First time poster here. I have been trading forex for about 8-9 days now. I guess that makes me a super noob. Even keeping an eye on at night and just kind of perusing the internet, taking baby pips lessons grade by grade. I am trying to maintain my new found enthusiasm by being conservative and not taking any “risk” that I have no idea how to quantify at this point. But I regress.

Anyway. Has anybody been paying close attention to what has been going on in South Africa recently? The rand has been dropping like crazy and the story behind the political disfunction has definitely made for an interesting first week. It sounds like South Africa will be on the verge of an Economic disaster if Zuma fires Pravin Gourdhan.

So without getting into full detail of the story and how Zuma is basically trying to sack a Finance Minister for his own personal sketchy gain by way of Nuclear power.

How do experienced players react to minor currencies that have economies on the brink of melt down? Do you see them as potential?~Or do you stay away from them? Does this happen? How should I look at what is happening in South Africa?