How long before/after news events do traders avoid trading?

When people say they don’t trade news events, how long do they leave it before and after the event?

I never trade intra-day so my new trades are entered or orders placed after the London close, preferably when NY has also closed. News events often trigger volatility that is massive intra-day and will kill your account.

But these things are trivial longer-term, and usually don’t print trend reversals. I challenge anyone to look back over the dailies over a year and without reference to the date legend, pick out NFPRs, FOMC meetings, interest rate announcements - they just don’t show up.

I can only speak for myself, but I usually close my positions a few hours before the news come out. As for when I start trading again - it depends on the news. Sometimes it’s clear that the pair I am trading has chosen a set direction and I open a position in the next hour or so, sometimes the market is so volatile that I begin trading again on the next day.

In my opinion you should stop trading 30 min. before the news and start trading back, 30 min. after the news.

1 Like

Don’t trade after the news on that particular day a high impact news comes out, if you are a scalper or a day trader.

That’s true in most of the cases. But not a universal truth! I mean if you are a long time trader, trading with a account worth $1000+; you may find it profitable trading at the news days. If you predict the market correctly, then who know? You may get huge profit that you wont be able to make by trading 6 months! But if you are a day trader, as most traders are, do not trade on news days. Highly recommended for you.

When people say that they don’t trade new events that means they don’t enter fresh trades immediately before and after the new events. These investors try to stay away from the volatility caused by new events which can potentially lead to losses due to unexpected moves and wider spreads. It depends upon investor to investor that when they stop trading before the news. If investors prefer intraday trading then he would stop few minutes before the news. However, if investor has long term horizon then they would not enter fresh trades few hours before the news as they want to see outcome of the news before making any decisions.

I wouldn’t trade before a major news event if I was looking to take a position, it’s too much of a gamble on an unknown outcome. Better to wait and see. If the event triggers volatility and if that volatility resulted in an overbought/oversold RSI reading on the hourly and if the price action also obviously stalls against support or resistance, or a significant price level, then I would buy the dip/sell the rally and look to fade that move and trade the bounce. Today’s dip on USD/CAD to 1.30 is a good example. Fundamentally the trigger was an interest rate decision, it looked like the market was bullishly pricing in a CAD rate cut about 30 mins before and when it didn’t come the market dropped to 1.30, a key price level. The press conference after the decision however talked dovish and the market rapidly reversed from 1.30 to 1.31. Great chart.

Smaller position sizes on daily timeframes negate the need to pay attention to news events, they can accommodate therm but if you’re zoomed in scalping on minute charts (I don’t personally) I would steer well clear 30 mins before and until it has found equilibrium afterwards.

Trading just after and before news release is dangerous because some times market changes so quickly and traders can not follow the trend. Remain patience at this time wait until trend is clear to you . Do not trade as news are saying it may be reverse market within some seconds. I do not act blindly on news I have to see my own analysis before trading decision.

depends on the type of news or to be more precisely impact from them. Its a rule of thumb for some traders to avoid trading on NFP or central bank decisions but for me its a perfect opportunity to make quick profits. You can watch my videos if you want, but if to answer your question then… there is no certain answer, you can start trading after 4,5, or 10 minutes depends on your ability to see pullback or trade on fundamental news impact

Close out all positions an hour or minutes before news , I steadily check for a calmer market before placing trade after news, Some expert traders with experience do ride some good pips of news releases but hey they have the edge and experience for that and its a no go area for a newbie