What do you guys think of signal trading

Hi Guys,

What do you think of signal trading ? When we do this our account / trade follows some other trader who is providing the signals and are placed in our account as well. Has anyone done this and how does it do ?

Thank you

Badly.

It’s relatively easy (given plenty of knowledge, understanding, judgment and due diligence!) to identify a signal service that has had a good few months of profit, but (and here’s the point) [I]it won’t be the same one that’s still making profits in a couple of months’ time[/I], and there are reasons for that, which aren’t trivially easy for the uninitiated to understand.

There are thousands of signal services “out there” (and unfortunately quite a few of them “in here” as well!), and at any one time, out of those thousands, it follows that there will be a small number who happen, simply by the laws of chance, to have had a run of a few good months.

There’s also a process at work which statisticians call “selection bias”, which predicates that [I][U]those few are usually the ones you see advertising and promoting and being recommended most prominently[/U][/I].

Unfortunately, the fact that they happen just to have a few good months has very little (or “[B]no[/B]”) bearing at all on their chances of having a good few months [B][U]again[/U][/B] when you subscribe, because they had it by luck and “[I]because someone has to[/I]”, not by skill. They’re successful [B]marketers[/B], not successful traders.

That’s the “hidden reason” why it’s so very, very common to join a [U]successful[/U] service and for it all to turn sour as soon as you start paying for it. :frowning:

I don’t using signal provider in my trading career, so far still like using own analysis and only thinking with simple mindset, if forex is risky no matter we are, as long as learn how to minimize the risk and learn how to determine best timing entry and exit, still possible making better winning trades

It applies for any type of investments and called “risk”. It may depend on the knowledge and skills of a signal provider (or fund manager) but it also can earn you a profits by chance (as chance of losing and winning with right money management are almost equal except transaction costs). The method to get around this problem is called diversification and the risk is generally converges to zero when the number of investments goes to infinite.

The principle is valid (though academic), but actually the risk converges to a negative sum, by the time you factor in expenses/fees.

Thank you guys for the replies :slight_smile:

Yeah I have seen; Forex trading signal service is very available here and there! But honestly, I believe depending on others trading signal service is not any permanent way of money making! On the other hand, I have noticed; all of successful Forex traders handle their live trading account personally according to their own knowledge and experience, so it’s all about traders choice!

Plus, when the signals career is over, so is yours, then on to another. If you have money left.