COT Report Weekly Positions

Hi All.

I wanted to know about the weekly COT data that comes out every week. The most recent one came out on Friday 20 December 2016.

Does this represent the positions of Commercials and Speculators at that date ONLY? or the positions held from the last report till 20 December? or does it represent positions held from 30 Dec 2016 until the next report comes out till 27 December?

I am confused regarding this so can someone clear it out.

Anyone ??? Kindly help in this regard ???

Common sense suggests that if its is weekly report and the data comes post-factum (it is not leading indictor and don’t predict anything) then it consists of information about positions from 13 to 20 December. Most of the times it tells like " positions for the week ending " "

Would compare COT report weekly of the last one in a month and the last one in previous month. It is easier and more beneficial to follow it.

Thx Profitbaby.

The confusion that occurred was the weekly report mentioning AS OF 20 December 2016. Though it acts as a lagging indicator but it can be assumed positions held as of 20 December 2016 may be deemed to be the positions for the next week until the new report comes out. Don’t you think?

Sht, it’s always the positions as at the close on the previous Tue.

Can be viewed as leading since it shows the hand of commercials, most often extreme values are what is looked at, also any shifts from the previous week - it’s a long subject, two books that I know of are good, one by Larry Williams the other by Steve Briese.

Well actually you should COMPARE the data with previous weeks to track the changes. You can use MYfxbook COT Data or Cotbase.com (paid one) which build the chart so you can see downward or upward trends or sideline. The data for particular week worth nothing itself without previous dynamics.