Is this an ascending triangle formation? Aud/Jpy

I have been studying hard. Some of the formations that are common I still have a hard time recognizing. I’d like to get in on this pair when it breaks out. But I want to make sure I’m seeing this correctly. Highs are staying the same, lows are going up. Can someone with more experience confirm this?

Yes; it certainly seems to be, on your chart above.

(Personally I look at “highs and lows” more than at “triangles and rectangles” and at the moment would mostly be watching the fairly clearly horizontal resistance-line at the top.)

And welcome to the forum. :cool:

Thank you!

I agree, it looks like a neat example. But the issue is what do you do about it?

I don’t look for chart patterns much, I am a trend-follower, so this might be an interesting comparison. The classic entry point for an ascending triangle would be when the overhead resistance line is broken. Let’s say 87.545 with a stop, following Bulkowski, at about 85.25, distance 2.295.

But I would have had a valid trend-following entry point at 84.632 on 3rd Jan, with a stop at 83.746 = -0.886.
That stop level has not yet been breached so my trade would have been as high as +2.873.

Starting to wish I’d seen it now.

Well I plan to go long when the daily candle completes above 87.60. As you stated a good stop loss seems like 85.25. I guess the real question for me is where to take profits at this point. Well lets hope I have this problem haha

Yes, that’s the sport of problem you do want.

I have a stolen idea for long trend-following targets - watch price rise until it gets through break-even. At that point, look out for the next close which is below the 9EMA and then get out. Don’t move your stop. Of course, if you’re holding long and get another trend-following buy signal, you double up.

you will inly know what exactly it is when it is completed. noone can tell if its a asc tri. right now or only the left shoulder of a head and shoulders which is beeing formed or the beginning of the famous duck formation

once its completed. only then you will know what it us.