I totally recommend Devon as a place to live - you just have to accept it as what it is - a large island off England. These could be good points or bad, depends on your viewpoint -
* most of the population is elderly, half of it is retired, there is almost no ethnic diversity
* we drive about slowly (there are few good roads anyway)
* it rains a lot (but hardly ever freezes)
* even the "big" shops never have what you want or in the right size
* all service is slow (but exceptionally friendly), everybody wants to chat rather than get on with the job
* the countryside and coasts are gorgeous.
I shall never leave.
Having moved down here two years ago I would second all of these - and add that the county is without doubt home to some of the best pubs in the known universe.
Originally Posted by Jezzode
Is this what happens when one passes a certain age lol
I dont suppose Tipping Point, The Chase, Deal or no Deal and Pointless are on your list for a Sunday afternoon, too :P
I don't think anyone appreciates the above comment more than a Brit - I've worked in various European countries when I used to be a c0cktail bartender, both on private yachts and city bars, none of which quite understood 'bloody hell', ha