Backtesting One Candle At A Time

Hi guys,
New guy here. Firstly, i want to say that this community is awesome, and the people are really nice; answering all the questions with no insults or derogatory comments.

So my question is, i would like to backtest some strategies, and i am looking for a platform that allows me to proceed one candle at a time without seeing the future? i use metatrade so if anyone knows how to do it there, i would love to know. If you dont know how to do it in metatrade, would you know of any other free charting software that allows me to do it.

Turn off “chart shift” & “auto scroll” top of the page
on the platform, then go back as far as you wish
& press F12.

This will scroll one candle at a time.

Thanks for that daydreamer but i was wondering if you knew a way to completely turn off what will come in the future. Because i like to see the same screen in a longer time frame and then all future movements become seen and then its difficult to make assesment. Say, i wanted to see what the RSI was doing in the 15 minute, H1 and H4 chart at a particular time. Once i switch the time frame with this way of backtesting it jumps forward many candles and i dont see where i am exactly.

No I don’t know we have reached the limit of my
metatrader knowledge, I don’t use it a lot.

But I would suggest setting up 3 charts, with 3
different times ie 15M, 1Hr, 4Hr, then starting each one
at the same time ie midnight.

Or somebody with more knowledge than myself?

Erica, sorry to jump in on your thread, but I use FXCM does anyone know how to do it there?

Thanks

That’s the only way I can figure to do it.

Set up 3 charts with the time frames you want, then disable the autoscroll on each. Set each of them where you want to start and use F12 to move forward one candle at a time. When you switch to a new time frame, it will be where you left it until you use F12 on that time frame.