Backtesting Advice Using Metatrader

I’ve come to the point in my trading where I want to backtest certain setup’s, but I need to purchase better software. Im about to purchase Metatrader, and I want to ask the babypips community if they have any comments or advice about Metatrader. Thanks for your input

It seems like Metatrader is a popular choice among fx traders for backtesting and system development - however there are other platforms available - tradestation, strategy runner and genesis ft to name a few -

1st comment is you dont need to purchase metatrader, most brokers will supply you with free demo accounts with unlimited access to the software.

Just google metatrader you will find plenty.

As for backtesting best method is really to set up what you want on your chart, then go back several years and press F12 to go forwards 1 candle at a time.

Hope this helps.

im using interbank fx’s trading station, and when I try to backtest, the charts automatically update whenever the price moves. Also, I can only go back a very limited time period. Maybe Im not using their software to its fullest potential, any hints?

hi
as far as using metatrader to backtest, how does that work? i hear what you said about the F12 key, but how do i get the data i want tested into metatrader?

thanks

read over how to use mql4
go to baby pips school and take the tests

thaks. will do.