I'm looking for a trading mentor

I’ve been trading paper for a year now and I think I finally have been able to make a little more than I’ve lost. My goal is to trade part time then gradually become full time. I’ve been doing my homework an avg of 2 hours a day, reading, keeping a log, and going on to many forex related websites. I have been trading the EURJPY most notably during the past few weeks and will continue to do so. If interested please let me know.
Thanks.
S.

Let you know what exactly??

What do you suppose a (trading) mentor will offer you specifically?

Even more importantly…what do you have to offer a mentor?!

ps: and of course the $65mill question: how much are you prepared to pay (in effort, time, tears & money) for this mentorship?? :slight_smile:

I’ve been pondering your answers:
I don’t think a mentor can offer anything specifically. Learning must come from a drive to succeed, from within, much as a therapist gives a client information to take home to ponder. Even Uma Thurmann must bloody her hands to pass through the piece of wood in Kill Bill. (ok so the metaphor is a little farfetched!)

I know that I can do this on my own and in the end from what I’ve read and heard no one can teach you how to trade.

So, in the end, I’m not sure I can offer you anything. Your role is not to gain; your role is to teach. That is the meaning of teacher: giving your selfless attention and knowledge to those in need without compensation. Your gain, if any is to feel that you’ve done good. Be the Dalai Lama of trading.

I don’t think a mentor can offer anything specifically

[B]Wrong answer. Keep pondering [/B] :slight_smile:

I know that I can do this on my own and in the end from what I’ve read and heard no one can teach you how to trade

[B]Sure, but that�s not really the role of a mentor is it!![/B]

So, in the end, I’m not sure I can offer you anything. Your role is not to gain; your role is to teach.

[B]Well, firstly I�m not (personally) offering, just curious as to how much thought you�d given the subject.

I’ve only known 3 genuine (trading) coaches/mentors thru the years & none of them worked for the good of their health or warm & cuddly feelings.

A good coach is worth their weight in gold dust - & that dust sure doesn�t come cheap. It definitely doesn�t come free! [/B]

That is the meaning of teacher: giving your selfless attention and knowledge to those in need without compensation.

[B]Not in this business it doesn�t mister. Nice try though[/B] :slight_smile:

[B]All the best in your endeavors.[/B]

The purpose of this forum is, by definition, to provide mentorship.

Go through the babypips school for starters. It’s got a lot of great starting info and is concentrated all in one place. That will be part of your mentorship. And it’s free!!!

If you are looking for someone to “babysit” your progress that’s difficult to come by. All trading coaches or mentors you see advertised on the net are in it for financial gains (which is fine) first. Getting the warm and cuddly feeling in the cokkles of their hearts comes second! And because they are in it for financial gain you also have to understand that they will likely have many many students, which, unfortunately, can make it difficult for the mentor to spend as much 1-on-1 time with you as you might like.

This is not to say the genuinly good mentors are not out there, they are just a bit harder to come by. I paid for one when i started out. Was it 1-on-1? It was supposed to be but it really didn’t turn out that way. This is not necessarily the mentor’s fault though. I didn’t have the right perception or expectations. He provided the material, which was great. But i was the one who had to dig deep into it and push myself to ask as many questions as i had - not just to the mentor but to others who could help out as well. For the longest time i was sitting there expecting the mentor to e-mail me every day and become my “friend” and be by my side all the time. In retrospect, the guy did help me, but mentorship of that nature is really a two way street.

Before you pay for such a thing though spend your time going through as many resources as you can. Become active in a forum such as this or some other ones where people will and have committed to answering newbie questions. Like i said in another thread of the same topic…that’s mentorship too. If you find after all that you still can’t get it and you are still fully committed, then maybe at that point look into more guided mentorship

Thanks for the advice to all. I am sticking close to this site. There are some wonderful resources and I’ve already enriched my trading knowledge in just a few short weeks.
Good luck to all!

The one thing I would toss into this conversation is that coaches, mentors, and teachers are all different things - at least to my mind.

A teacher is simply a provider of information, some who educates you on the facts. Basically a walking, talking book.

A coach is a teacher taken to the next level. At their most basic level they are teachers, but their approach has a much more personal element to it, helping the individual make progress toward certain objectives.

A mentor is an experienced individual who can provide guidance.

There most definitely can be overlap between and amongst the three, but not always, and some calling themselves one thing are actually functioning as others. Being able to identify and differentiate can go a long way toward getting what you’re after.

Merci M. Rhody!

You seemeth to be one of those enthuasiatic guys who wanna achieve everything in the world, in real world it works, here, it sucks. Chill down, i promise you that your enthusiasm soon will turn into frustration (guaranteed) no matter how succesful you were in papertrading, everyone (no exceptions) going live screws it, that change is too sudden, belive me, demo are only for you to get familiarized with plattform, to test the broker and so on, live accs are different, it is real money and real amplified emotions, real war with real bullets. With demo you can test your strategy but you cannot test yourself and you will start to know yourself losing real money. Maybe you had a good year with a demo but your next year with live might not be good. Have you ever considered the posibility of having a never ending sequence of loses? Belive me it happes, it will happen to you. Strategies does not work all the time, have you ever considered that?

Just for ending, are you aware that in fact with forex you are not dealing with real currencies? Think in that, only a derivative based on a currency pair.

Regards.

a year is a long ass time to be paper trading, just open a small account.

Guys, look at the time stamp on this thread.

HAHA… I love this… good luck in your search.