1st day trading, I was 2/2 but now I'm 2/3. Can you help me understand why?

Hi Guys,
I am excited to be a new member in this community and cannot wait to get to know some of you guys and share ideas and things like that. I dont plan to be a leech or lurker . There is a thread called introduce yourself or something so I wont spend too much time on that here.

So I was trying to go short on my brand new practice account but I made an error somewhere. Can you guys help me figure I did wrong? Here is the table with the trade activity. This is my first day trading buy I’ve been researching for about 6 months now. I only recently gained understanding of a few of the concepts. I didnt have a pc capable of updating java until a few days ago so Im just finally getting to see what the practice actual application looks like. I played the forex game on android and am able to consistenly produce winning trades on it by using only candlestick charts.

I’m not sure if it would be a faux pas for me to ask another question in this thread but I also would also be extremely appreciative for some help understanding what information is could be conisdered bare minimum to make successful trades. I can show you guys my statistics from the game later if you would like. its usually like 80 percent to 100% winning trades and things like 16 out of 18 trades are winning. I love the candlestick style chart.

Thanks a million in advance for any tips or advice you guys spend your time typing up. Information is priceless.

Hi there Panda.

By how much did you surpass the TP, royal or just touched it? I don’t see a date so I don’t know if it is from today and I don’t trade usdjpy. Was it a pending order or did you entered the trade when it hit your mental TP, which could have been too late.

A bit more info pls.

Hi ToeKan

Thanks so much for replying man. I thought no-one was replying but I guess I didnt get or setup notifications . 211 views to one reply is a little surprising though but I’m extremely thankful for you input. This one is like a closed market lol. I’m new so I’m not 100% sure how to answer your question. I think when I hit the take profit it immediately closed my position so I didn’t so much surpass the TP as I did meet it. I will go and recapture it with the dates included if that will help. It was not a limit order if that is the sameas a pending order and I entered based on like a whim I suppose. I think I entered before it hit because I was waiting for a few minutes for it to hit and hoping it was going to happen. It came really close and reversed a few times but after a few minutes it did hit the tp. Thanks again so much for replying man is there anyway I can ask you to check out this other thread for another newbie I saw a second ago. He has a question about which broker you prefer. His name is Absolut407 and his thread title is “Newbie needs direction, your thoughts?” I will post the activity log including the date.

Here is the table, its kind of hard to see.

I talked to a guy at oanda today who said that if I hit the take profit I should not have lost money but I’m pretty sure thats what happened. I didnt get a chance to send him the ticket number of explain too much before I mistakingly backed out of the live chat and lost contact with him. I will probably give them a call back tomorrow about it . I also have some other questions about starting a live account with only a little money like 10 bucks. I know I wont be able to profit much using only 10 dollars but I enjoy the thrill of the chase so whether its .0001 or 0100 I’ll be excited to see some real money move.

Hmm okay well Im an idiot :27: , I see the first problem is that the trade I’ve been looking at and circled in green is not the same trade that I took profit on. With that being said I’ve been looking at the wrong thing I do believe. So lemme go back and reevaluate my life, I mean reevaluate this trade.

Okay so sorry for the confusion but I was super confused also. Looks like I just didn’t pay attention to detail.:27:
Let me know what you think and if anyone else watching has anything to add please do.

Strongly suggest you work your way thru the free school here. Keep reading the threads as you study to see the problems facing traders and the different ideas we have.
Watch out for scammers, they love fresh meat

Okay I will definetely do that. I forgot they offered a free school here. I made 14.57 cents in 1 hour and 37 minutes. For me the time part isnt all that important whats important is that I could actually closed all trades before leaving and I understood the mistakes I made. There is still alot im confused on so I’ll keep practicing and work through that free school. For me 3rd time on the practice thing though to have made as many good trades as I did has me excited. I didnt use stop losses though this time because I never knew how far to expect it to go in the opposite direction only that I knew it would reach certain points eventually. I suppose I was scalping because of the short time frame of my trades. I dont understand yet like where to see how much I have to spend and I never have any Idea how much I will profit if I hit my take. Also I think I have no idea what a unit is. I have sooo much to learn but I’m willing, patient and glad to have baby pips and Oanda forum on my side. Have a good one and thanks for the advice. Im done trading for the night because I’m getting tired and I dont think that will be good for my account balance lol. I think I will likely do the same in the live environment t and try to call it quits when i start getting tired similar to driving fatigued, both dangerous activities lol. Have a good one everyone! :smiley: I’m so stoked to be going to sleep knowing I made profit. Last time I did this I woke up and realized I still had limit orders open. I’m going to double check and then crash.

The school is well worth read from start to finish, loads to take in but always a reference point to go back to. Took me a couple of weeks reading before bed.

I only got into trading a month back but i opened up a live account straight away (obviously not advised) and traded as small as i could. I felt i would learn more with real money on the line as it feels real. If i blew my account and lost the £100 i also feel that would have been a worthy lesson for the future.

A month in and i am learning everyday developing strategies and improving my trading plan and running demo accounts on the side.

Always use stops, even on very small trades.

Good luck

This is half of the logs for tonight, I started with 100,00.00 but lowered it to 1,000.00 to make it more realistic. Sooo many trades for 14.00, its not so much only because I was scalping but because I never know how much I can afford to buy or how much profit it will equal. If I did I would invest more money per trade.

So all in all I made 14.57, I lost a few trades due to noobish mistake of changing take profit based on the quote price instead of original buy price -_-, yeah I know. :48:

Too bad the text is too small to view those, lame. What is the best way to post logs so that they are actually viewable? I only use paint because oanda wont let you export the same days trades.