Stop Loss

hi, what is the basic consideration for stoploss? do you set a tight stoploss or wait for it to rebound? it has happened to me many times that a pair went down against me and it went up again. but on other hand, other pair has the killing factor that wipe out my wager cos’ it never turn back.

what do you do if i may ask? thanks!:56:

Money Management is bread and butter to any serious trader. We cannot, even with the very best ‘strat’ win them all.

Set a hard stop dependent on the time frame your trading. Trading the shorter TF’s might require a 20-30 pip stop and the daily perhaps as much as 100 pips. The key is to assess this in advance and calculate it as a percentage of your equity. Most would agree that 1-2% of balance per individual trade will allow a ‘positive expectancy’ strategy to build whilst allowing survival of a string of losses (it can and will happen if you trade long enough).

Yes many times I hear, ‘it took out my stop only to reverse’. It happens, so set your stop in a less obvious place and factor in the additional pips into your percentage risk as above. :wink:

you know what i thinking, this is what happened:

i had a position open in Eur/Usd pair, after retail data from US is out, i longed at 1.3310, it went up to 1.3318. after comparing the divergence, i saw it is a buy signal. i could have closed but after looking at the 4 hr chart and comparing the resistance, i decided to wait for another half hour. but to my dismay, it went down. why? there was an ongoing euro meeting that actually brought it down. bad mistake, furthermore, i realise the week’s data reflect very bad recovery on eurozone.

on the other hand, i had another position opened for Nzd/Usd, it went down by more than 50% in the morning session and went up again after NZ market is closed, and during euro and UK trading hours. i scrapped a little for profit.

lesson learnt: timing of market hours is equally important.

lesson learnt: this is 2nd time it had happened, first time it was ben bernanke’s speech in july. i think i will never trade during statement time.

Stop loss is best option for new traders to manage their trades in a limit . They decide how much loss will be affordable for you . In this way they are save from unexpected loss. If they not use stop loss they should monitor trades in order to save their account from blow up.

I use a stop loss to close my trades at profits, I don’t recall using a stop loss to close a trade for a loss. We all have a different approach, but I learned this from a professional trader and will keep on using it this way as it works for me. In the end every trader has to determine how to apply risk management.

I use stop losses determined to the ATR indicator. When you put an equity stop loss then it is possible that your stop will hit and run with your profits when you’re out, this means that your stop is to tight.

I use weekly time frame and have stop losses from 200 pips until sometimes around 1000 pips, but I also have big winners ( biggest was 3000 pips ). Never got stopped out because my stops are wide enough but not to wide. In my opinion equity stop loss is not a good idea to use it. Like I’ve said it’s my opinion. Using volatility losses are much better

Not only for new traders. Stop loss is essential for each and every trader. That is our hero to save us from margin call.

Place stop losses where your original trade idea would be invalidated. You can also use volatility, time, or equity stops (Undergraduate - Senior - School of Pipsology - BabyPips.com). Of course, you have to figure it out BEFORE you enter a trade. No use losing more than you can afford in one trade.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Please i have this question that is lingering in ma mind all day long… My question is ; what is the difference between a LIMIT ORDERS and PENDING ORDERS ? Lookin forward for yo explanation . Thanx

Place stops above or below major s/r levels. Never place them right at major support and resistance. To easy to get stop hunted.

Try this one. This more protecting the capital than the trade

Forex Money Management

Nice site…

A Pending order is an instruction to open a position when the current price reaches the order level.

A pending order is when you want to buy or sell a currency at a different price than the market price. There are 2 types of limit orders as wekk 2 types of stop orders.

Buy Stop - an order to open a Buy position at a price higher than the price at the moment of placing the order.
Sell Stop - an order to open a Sell position at a price lower than the price at the moment of placing the order.
Buy Limit - an order to open a Buy position at a lower price than the price at the moment of placing the order.
Sell Limit - an order to open a Sell position at a price higher than the price at the moment of placing the order

Thank you very much but i have another question ;
supposing i set a Take Profit at 50pips away from my Entry (15:00 EST)on H4 time frame. Unfortunately the candle couldn’t get to my 50 pips but maybe 35 pips before the market closed and i dont want to hold my trade either , what happens to my account ? Will my broker automatically close my orders in my favour of me and calculate the profit on 35 pips or ?

Yep, agree with this one. I also usually widen my stops if I have a trade open during an economic event/news release to account for additional volatility.

hold…hold…unless you got capital. if not, just cut minimal and go trade another pair. this is what i learn…

Stop loss is very important saves our account from huge losses. By setting proper stop loss we can trade safely and securely and it improves our money management skills.

and the most important that you have to curb your ego, i learnt that the hard way…

cut losses depends on news bullet too, if you are losing pips and saw that news are positive for a pair, you may want to take chances to scale in.