Trading with Multiple Systems in Place

I’m a new trader, and I have been playing with a couple different systems that are giving me good signals but each is good at different points in how the market plays out.

For instance one system might be working at a certain time in the market while the other one isn’t giving me entry signals, and vice versa. I’m curious as to how other trades trade the market with different systems in place depending on the market conditions. Comments, suggestions?

Stick with one system until you know it inside and out before attempting a second.

Many will tell you to stick to a single system in order to masterise it, which is a great idea. Fooling around with many systems will confuse you a lot and probably you won’t be doing your job accordingly because you’re following too many things at once. You will probably get contradictory signals which at the end will confuse you even more. The key here is to keep things simple.

BUT (and a big one) as you mentioned above, depending on market conditions, once you have masterised one method, let’s say for trend continuation, you can learn one for market breakouts, and then other for reversals, another one for news, etc.

No harm at all with doing that, you’ll have a better understanding of what the market is doing, and once you understand what the current market condition is, you won’t have mixed signals.

In my humble opinion, it’s better to be what is called a `discretionary trader´than blindly following a signal for a system in which you don’t plenty get market behavior. You have to adapt yourself and take decisions based on current conditions, and that includes sitting in hands of course.

So, to sum up, I think that is great for you to take a look at different systemsonce you have masterised your main system, but remember to keep things simple.

I know many will disagree with this by saying that jumping from one system to another is the eternal search for the holy grial and the result of the lack of discipline to stick to a plan, but again, I’m talking about being discretional, and not about being lazy.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Find a system that works in all markets. One that is not based on indicators.

Good advise,

My call would be, take a look at fib levels, support and resistance, and trendlines, as I said before, no need to complicate things, and price action will tell you the full story. This will work for every market condition.

Ok I don’t want to be contradictory here, first saying `yes go with all the systems out there´and then ´ok just one will be fine´.

To be more specific, what I want to say is that using the tools I mentioned before, you can trade almost all market conditions.

Maybe first masterise one market condition, le’s say trend continuation, that’s what I called before a system in particular.

Then, with the same tools, masterise another market condition, let’s say a ranging breakout. That could be call a different system/method.

I hope I made my point.

I’ve done that & it works, but can be exhausting. MT4 sometimes freezes if you got too many indicators in one chart. So I kinda split the indicators in two charts, same currency pairs. So for each pair you got two charts, each chart a different system or sets of indicators. So basically I look at my primary chart, confirm with the second chart and then place my trade. Automatically the same trade will show in the 2 charts. Sometimes I use the second chart in a different time frame. It is a good way to sort out the indicators/systems that work for you and the ones that don’t.

I’ve been trading around a week now looking at the GBP/USD, EUR/USD, and JPY/USD and my systems have been the 45 pip per day system as well as the Cowabunga system.

If the systems are indicator based, why can’t you apply the same system rules to other major currency pairs?

Since I don’t use indicators and I’m not an expert I can’t answer that for you, but you should be able to back test your system with different pairs.

Since this first posted Ive been limiting my system currently to a modification of the “45 pip per day” system. I’ve been focusing on the EUR/USD, GBP/USD for now and have added to the system more confirmation with stochastics, EMA crosses, and support/resistance levels. So far in the past two days I’ve made over 100 pips but am still in the process of getting the system down more.