90% of traders lose money? - Page 7
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lexys View Post
    Sorry - no hostility intended but this really is total nonsense - it's just completely wrong. There are many published figures that show it's unmistakably nonsense.
    If someone reads the published figures which put the fraction of accounts being profitable in a given quarter in the 30-40% range, then you might be led to believe what service had to say. As I've written before, though, those stats can be really deceptive.

But then you have my findings on the trader success subject. :-)

Everyone loses money in this business. There is no doubt. We all have losses, I certainly still do and I do not expect that ever to change. The reason for this is that you cannot predict with 100% certainty what will happen next.

There is no problem with losing money, you just have to make sure that you're losing less than your are winning (money that is). This sounds very easy but in actual fact is very hard. If you are prepared to do what's necessary, you will get there in the end.

If you mean that 90% of traders lose as in they blow up their account, that's a different thing. And I would say that sounds about right.
    Trading can bring you immense riches, but like with everything, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

But no one ever said it was easy to become rich. you just gotta be prepared to do what most aren't prepared to do. That's the key IMO.

It is true the majority are losing money in the forex market but many are earning as well, the difference is only of attitude.

Trades are like buses, there is always another one around the corner
    Quote Originally Posted by tradingmakesmoney View Post
    The reason for this is that you cannot predict with 100% certainty what will happen next.
    You can't predict with 0.1% certainty - no one can

All about probabilities!

A prediction is the same as an assumption, and as we know assumptions are the mother of all fu*k-ups
    Last edited by RISKonFX; 12-29-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Frankly, I’ve never seen any official statistics to support that 90% losing traders claim. That said, the washout rate really is very, very high. Reaching the point where a trader’s consistently profitable requires a lot of time, education, training, effort, energy and money, and few people are able to go through all that and not give up on the idea.

Yeah, I'd love to see some actual stats saying that 90% of traders lose money. Everyone seems to say it as if it is a well known fact but I've never seen any real evidence of this. I do expect it to be true as I don't know that many traders who actually make money

Trades are like buses, there is always another one around the corner
    take a look here - it's in black and white, search away! - I'm pretty sure we can assume futures markets will be akin to spot rate account.

NFA - National Futures Association

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzode View Post
    I'm pretty sure we can assume futures markets will be akin to spot rate account.

My own guess would be that the proportion of futures traders who are profitable will be significantly higher than the proportion of spot forex traders ... when you think about the comparisons between the effective entry-barriers to each, experience-level effectively required for each, etc. etc. So I'd think that far more forex traders will be losing money than futures traders.

Quote Originally Posted by lexys View Post
    My own guess would be that the proportion of futures traders who are profitable will be significantly higher than the proportion of spot forex traders ... when you think about the comparisons between the effective entry-barriers to each, experience-level effectively required for each, etc. etc. So I'd think that far more forex traders will be losing money than futures traders.
    I'm not so sure about that, though it depends on how you judge and measure. I've seen research on stock market day traders - who in the US are required to have significantly more money - that show very comparable win rates as those for retail forex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodytrader View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, though it depends on how you judge and measure. I've seen research on stock market day traders - who in the US are required to have significantly more money - that show very comparable win rates as those for retail forex.

Yes, I see what you mean ...

Again, one could say that stock traders are a different group of people, as the overlap with "investing" there is much higher than is the case with futures? I don't know whether that's true in America, though ...

Forum Sponsors