I give up with FXCM... where do I go next?

Yes, everyone is asking… which broker should I choose. Guess what… I’m going to ask the same question.

My profile / criteria:

1. I’m in Australia, so want to deposit in AUD
  2. Min $15k deposit, maybe $50k
  3. Allow scalping, and therefore low spreads / commissions
  4. I want to use MT4 with the correct prices showing (eh? well, FXCM prices are not correct in MT4)
  5. ASIC regulated
  6. large / well known / well respected
  7. offer of free VPS in same data centre as their servers
  8. fast execution, zero (little) slippage, zero (no) requotes
  9. easy deposit / withdrawal with preferably no fees
  10. ECN / STP, not a market maker

Anyone know of one?

You can have a look at LMAX.

There are many brokers that can meet with your criteria including profiforex that I trade with they are STP/ECN brokers. I love scalping and with them I rarely experience slippage unlike other brokers I dealt with .

Is this why you give up on FXCM?

What does that mean? How are the prices wrong?

If you mean there are differences between those prices and quotes from other dealers then who are those dealers? And how do you tell which of those is “correct”?

-Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I believe the OP is referring to the fact that our MT4 charts still reflect our old pricing. FXCM’s new pricing removes the old fixed pip markups that were included in the spread and replaces them with separate commissions. I discuss our new pricing in greater detail in this thread: 301 Moved Permanently

Hi Truelifeajf,

I appreciate your frustration with the fact that our MT4 charts don’t yet reflect our new pricing, but it’s worth noting that out of the 10 criteria you listed, FXCM meets the other 9 and we’re working towards being 10 out of 10.

Just today, I spoke with one of our programmers about our MT4 charts, and he updated me on a solution his team is currently working on for this. I will let you know as soon as it’s available. In the meantime, it’s worth noting that since our old pricing used fixed markups, the difference between the MT4 chart price and the Bid/Ask is constant. For EUR/USD the old markup was 1.1 pips. However, each currency pair had its own fixed markup.

To determine the fixed markup for a different currency pair, look at the Bid and Ask you see in your Market Watch window and compare them to the prices you see on a 1-minute MT4 charts. For example, in the chart below which still shows the old pricing, you can see a spread of 2.2 pips for EUR/USD while the FXCM spread you can actually trade on is 0 pips. That indicates that the chart Bid and Ask have each had a 1.1 pip markup added.

To be clear, MT4 accounts get the new pricing but see the old pricing in the data feed in MT4? Or are they getting the old pricing until another update?

I read what you said about it in the other thread and it mentioned some clients have not been upgraded yet.

-Adrian

FXCM clients get access to the same spreads whether they use Trading Station or MT4. In fact, if you have an FXCM MT4 account, then the same login details will allow you to trade from either platform. While the MT4 charts have not yet been updated to reflect our new pricing, you can still see these supertight spreads reflected in the Bid and Ask prices shown in the Market Watch window of the platform. It is on these prices that you can execute orders whether you’re trading via MT4 or Trading Station: bit.ly/1shNooZ

What’s the reason that you give up FXCM, spread or withdrawal speed?

You may try Thinkforex or Globalprime. They’re Asic regulated. Though I haven’t tried them.

The fact the MT4 chart doesn’t show the correct prices.

I’m still learning, and just getting my head around how I need to be taking into account BID and ASK for a scalping EA I’m working on.

When the bid / ask line isn’t even correct in MT4 via FXCM, and I’m trying my best to get my head around how everything works, it simply drove me mad.

Everything else with FXCM was fine - not that I ever traded anything but a demo account.

The only hiccup now is withdrawing my money. They want proof that the bank account I’m requesting the money to go back into is the same back account that I deposited the funds from. I’m a newbie so I dunno, but seems like a hurdle that’s not required. I’m with ubank.com.au which is an online only bank - no statements, not even a transaction history export that shows the account number / name / address / etc which FXCM need before they release funds. I’m awaiting their response and hope they make the withdrawal process easy.

For what it’s worth to anyone, here’s my update.

Firstly, I’m a well-researched kind of fellow so I have spent the last 2 days SOLID researching / comparing / creating demo accounts, etc with the following 6 (well 7 if you include FXCM), and looking at their ECN accounts / options.

I won’t go into commissions / spreads as they usually depend on things like:

• which account type you select
  • what you can negotiate based on your deposit / equity / trade volume
  • the variable nature of spreads

Spreads is the biggest question everyone (especially scalpers) will have. I found it frustratingly difficult to compare spreads. Surely there’s a website somewhere that shows the average (median would be better), spread of all currencies, and where you can pick up to 3 or whatever brokers to compare. Massive grids of spreads of all brokers / currencies is nice but they don’t indicate whether it’s live or average, and comparing a select 3 or 4 brokers takes transcribing all the spreads into Excel to do a comparison. Ugh.

And then each broker’s spreads bounce up and down rather randomly at various events throughout the day / year. I get the feeling that you can only really compare spreads by using the broker for a while in a range of trading conditions.

If anyone knows how I can easily compare spreads of the 7 brokers below, let me know. I need low spreads as I’ll be scalping.

Overall, things like VPS offerings, withdrawal / deposit rules and fees, etc, etc… are all much the same in my eyes. I’m only mentioning the clear differences below, which are relevant to me.

[B]Global Prime[/B]

• can’t find one bad review / comment / anything about them
  • they seem to make every possible effort in online forums / emails / etc to offer top notch support
  • seem to be the only people who can provide trade receipts from the liquidity providers

[B]AxiTrader[/B]

• not an ECN broker

[B]IC Markets[/B]

• have their own trading platform in addition to MT4
  • online customer support not always from Australia, which I found frustrating during my enquiries (the usual language / cultural differences)

[B]Dukascopy[/B]

• regulated in Switzerland, so no ASIC
  • I hate their website, just messy
  • minimum deposit = $5k
  • they seem to offer the lowest commissions I’ve seen the more you deposit / more you trade. However I haven’t looked at their spreads, and it’s possible other brokers also offer similar commission discounts but they just don’t list the discount structure on their website.
  • don’t offer MT4. Can be done via a “bridge”, whatever that means. They have their own platforms
  • for me, I’ve just learned MT4, coding indicators, etc. I would guess the whole “bridge” thing is yet another technical hurdle to get over and I’m not sure I have the energy for it.

[B]Pepperstone[/B]

• nothing unique to mention here

[B]Tickmill[/B]

• Maybe I missed it on the site but I didn’t know they didn’t accept Australian clients until I had spent time setting up a demo account, etc.

[B]FXCM[/B]

• constant / ongoing debate about whether they are an STP / market maker / etc. It’s concerning.
  • have their own trading platform in addition to MT4
  • I’m guessing their online customer support is in some other country and I find language / cultural issues each time I use online support

I haven’t come to a conclusion and for all the data analysis I do, I actually tend to make a decision based on gut feeling… and so far I’m overly impressed with Global Prime; from everything I read to my enquiries with them.

However… I need tight spreads. I don’t care if the commission is higher. My trading will rely on tight spreads.

If anyone can help answer “who has the lowest spreads”, that’d be great! :slight_smile:

You do know all brokers that claim to be ECN are generally not ECN.

Global Prime clearly states in their product disclosure that they are the counter party to your trades. (page 2)

http://globalprime.com.au/forex/wp-content/uploads/Global-Prime-Product-Disclosure-Statement.pdf

All of them are much the same setup.

Their trading service is quite recommendable . They also fast in their trading execution.

I’m not even going to attempt to get into that discussion. I accept that everyone says that every broker lies about everything. But in order to make a decision I need to accept some things as fact. I dunno… don’t Globalprime sell other products as well as Forex services? Maybe it relates to that. Everywhere I’ve read they can provide receipts from the liquidity providers for any trade. Everyone in my list has many people saying they’re not ECN brokers.

But if we go with what cams75 (and many many others say), there’s no such thing as an ECN broker :wink:

There is if you are trading full lots with example Interactive Brokers or Lmax.
Maybe there are ECN brokers that accept mini and micro lots out there, but if you download most of these brokers disclosure statements these will clearly state that you are trading with the broker as the counterparty.

I have also read IC Markets disclosure and they are your counterparty even though they say " first true ECN" on their website.

I think people get to hung up on ECN v MM. At the end of the day if you are trading higher time frames with a well known broker, with a good solid trading plan and money management you will be profitable using a MM.

I’m scalping 1 lot minimum, more often 10 lots

Hi there… I realise this is an old thread, but I found it via a search… I wonder if you found the perfect broker? I too am on a quest and wondered if you can help… I want to scalp during high volatility news events so need zero to almost zero slippage… did you find brokers that provide that? Thanks.

Hi Paul,

If you’re looking to trade during market conditions in which there is a reduced risk for slippage, then news trading is probably not your best option.

Slippage most commonly occurs during fundamental news events. Prices tend to move by multiple pips at a time and spreads widen as the market becomes less liquid due to the uncertainty of the news release, and the market pricing changing rapidly as it digests the new information.

If you do trade news events then I would suggest using the market range (At market points on MT4) feature, limit orders, or stop-limit orders to control the slippage you are willing to accept when placing a trade. But keep in mind that restricting the amount of slippage you are willing to accept can reduce the chances of order execution if the market is moving quickly. The orders can increase price certainty but will reduce execution certainty.

Jason