Trading in the late afternoon/evening in the U.S?

Wondering if the odds are against me (liquidity-wise) if my only available times to trade would be afternoons and evenings after the New York close.

Thanks,
Steve

How long can you trade after the NY close? The first few hours after the NY close are really dead, but Asia/Pacific pairs like USDJPY or AUDUSD become alive again after that.

I’m actually in California and my trading window would be around the 3:00 p.m. EST to around 10:00 p.m. EST.

I don’t think you need to worry about liquidity the least bit. Whatever trade size you plan on trading does not matter and your orders will be filled.

I live on the east coast, So I trade the NY session. Sometimes Asian/Sydney too. After 3pm EASTERN time, markets do slow down, but sometimes have movements usually nothing to crazy though. The Asian/Sydney will be session you would be trading. Its not the most volatile session but If you wanted to trade it can be done, just be careful, with the lower volatility price can act kinda funny at times. But overall yes it can be done, The odds wouldn’t be against you, you just have less volatility in the market during those hours.

This is just my opinion, I am NOT a professional trader at this time, but do have my screen time in!

Happy trading

Jason

I think what you’re asking is “do the markets move at this time, enough to generate potential trades” - liquidity has little to no correlation on the average daily range of a currency pair. In fact some would suggest that the most illiquid pairs generate the most erratic spikes and moves in price.

I trade that same time frame myself and have for a couple of years. I find it depends to the time frame of your trade length. If you are trying to trade shorter time frames like under an hour hold times it is not the best to do. The only way that I have found to work is longer term trades to swing trade entries at this time. Hope that helps and you can ask me questions if you need more info.

Also depends on what pairs you are trading.

Hi Steve,

I’m not sure what time zone you’re in, but if you’re on the east coast of the US like me, then evenings correspond with the Asian session. While scalpers tend to the like the higher volatility of the European session, other traders may find the lower volatility of the Asian session more conducive to their strategies.

The analysts at DailyFX.com analyzed over 12 million real trades conducted by our clients and found that trader profits and losses could vary significantly by time of day.

The periods of stronger trader performance lined up with low-volatility trading hours late in the US session, the Asian session or early in the European trading session – essentially 2pm to 6am New York Time, or 6pm to 10am GMT.

Welcome to BabyPips! :slight_smile:

Thats some neat information. Now just factor in the 5% of traders that are actually winning on a steady consistent basis and that chart would mean something.

Thanks everyone. I will be trading the 4 hr. and Daily.

That’s some interesting info from DailyFX about the Asian session. Goes against convention and gives me some hope!

3pm - 5pm might have some good intraday moves ~40 pips or so on the majors. They tend to be counter-trend though.

But for the most part, you’ll probably do better to stick to 4H and daily strategies.

I have found if I am trading on your time frame in the Asian session that I use trend continuation strategies.