Recognizing Good Support and Resistance Zones

Default Recognizing Good Support and Resistance Zones

I'm curious what time frames are best to use when drawing support and resistance zones??

For my trading I use the Daily, 4hr and 1hr chart with a 200 period moving average on each chart. That daily and 4hr chart will help identify the trend and pull backs to the 200 ma on the 1hour chart is your entry trigger.

Here is current 1hr chart of EURAUD , see how the 200 ma serves as support and entry point.

Name:  3bb.PNG
Views: 4
Size:  16.4 KB
    Last edited by Dennis3450; 05-18-2017 at 11:06 PM.

It all depends on what level you're trading. No point looking at a daily timeframe if you're trading a 1 minute scalp.

More info needed to give an accurate response.

In general I use H1 and H4, sometimes D1, and look for the confirmation signals at smaller timeframes (M5-15)

Hi,

Higher time frames are the best time frames to draw support and resistance lines. We can avoid false market movements in these time frames. Above 30 min time frame can be used for draw support and resistance lines. It is better to draw lines in Daily time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by JimAce View Post
    Hi,

Higher time frames are the best time frames to draw support and resistance lines. We can avoid false market movements in these time frames. Above 30 min time frame can be used for draw support and resistance lines. It is better to draw lines in Daily time frame.
    Exactly. Higher time frames are more accurate w less noise. Lower time frames are less accurate w alot more noise

Quote Originally Posted by JimAce View Post
    Hi,

Absolutely, D1 is one of the best time frame for determining support and resistant levels! This time frame shows valid S/R so cleanly! I use mainly horizontal and trend line for identifying S/R levels on D1, now my question is may I need to add more technical tools in my chart for S/R?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Siddle View Post
    Absolutely, D1 is one of the best time frame for determining support and resistant levels!
    This doesn't really mean anything.

It's no more or less true of the D1 timeframe than it is of any other.

D1 is the appropriate timeframe for seeing daily support and resistance levels just like H1 is the appropriate timeframe for seeing daily support and resistance levels and M1 is the appropriate timeframe for seeing minutely support and resistance levels.

What you really meant to say is probably that you think D1 charts are better or safer to trade from and that they're more reliable.

Actually that's only true within their own frame of reference and it's only opinion.

Many professional traders and almost all institutional traders would disagree with you about it.

It depends with the type of trader you are. If you are an intraday trader, then you can draw support and resistance levels on the 1-hour and 4-hour charts. Otherwise, a long-term trader can use the daily and the weekly timeframes.

Forum Sponsors