Gosh! My Account is Toast

I was short EUR/JPY, EUR/AUD, EUR/HKD long USD/NOK. All winning positions from last week into this present disastrous SNB decision killer. I can’t explain why i took a short position today on CHF/JPY. Broker says market moved too fast and my stops couldn’t be activated. All profits wiped out and my broker account is in red to the tune of $-5144.97.

Am dumping that account ASAP. Am really devastated and left with the feeling of revenge. How could this be.

Wow. You got margin-called and owe your broker $5k? I feel for your loss. :frowning:

Yeah, I am glad my account is down just 37% on the biggest single day move in the forex since the free-float began in the 1970’s. While my stops and entries that were never executed would have handed me a handsome profit, the cookie crumbled in the jungle. Ladies and germs: welcome to 2015.

SNB, SNB, SNB… Why the surprise peg lift. At least they should have given us a hint on what’s coming. I have learnt a very bitter lesson. Time to shake off the dust and move on.

I “only” lost 2% of my account on a CHFSGD short. I think I dodged a bullet, trading the CHF via an exotic pair. At least my stop loss was triggered. :confused:

Careful guys… You may want to review your broker over the next few days.

https://www.excelmarkets.com

This one is going under today and there will certainly be more. Even if you came out of today unscathed you want to make sure your deposit is in a safe place.

So what did you learn? What will you do differently going forward? I am thinking about it and have not yet had any big breakthrough. Everything I think of that would have kept me out of trouble today would also severely limit my capacity to profit to the point of making trading not worth doing.

Perhaps branching out into more exotic pairs to avoid trading too heavily in any single currency?

Hmmmmmm…

I’m think gonna stick to my beloved tick charts. In and out. Two weeks into my new trading plan and being exposed to market liquidity over days weeks just isnt my thing

How would the tick chart have saved you from 2000 pips in slippage?

Commiserations to all who lost money in CHF trades today. The warning signs were always on the wall within the market as 100% were long on EURCHF and as far back as two months ago, I made this post 301 Moved Permanently and stopped holding CHF positions in anticipation of a massive move due to the SNB either increasing the floor or removing it entirely.

We live to die another day.

Absolutely right my friend. It wouldnt off. But with my tick chart strategy my exposure is greatly reduce and exposure IMO equals risk. Last night I wasn’t exposed on the ticks but i was exposed on the GU and UJ and the action there was almost dramatic. Like most things, do what it is you do well and I do like working the ticks.

On a side note being learning heaps via you commentry and blog but I miss your “original” stuff. Others might not appreciated it but I did :slight_smile:

Ha. Well there is plenty of LSD and THC to go around.

Maybe I can add some MDMA into the mix. Momentum Directional Micro Analysis.

Sorry to the OP. Chances are nobody has a clue what we’re on about

IG Markets was the first to report yesterday that the SNB has caused heavy losses at the firm. I think all those negative balances will be erased and brokers will take a hit on that one and that traders who had CHF positions despite SL orders will have to accept that their accounts have been lost due to this.

By god you are right! MDMA Medium Denomination Moving Average. The funniest thing about it is that in the old days (early 20th century) traders called moving averages “rolling averages”.

Yeah. Most of these cats probably don’t know much about rolling and MDMA, and certainly not psilocybin.

It looks like they may have lost a quarter and a half of profits (£30m).

FXCM is reportedly down $225m.

Casualties From Swiss Shock Spread From New York to New Zealand - Bloomberg

FXCM Inc., which handled a record $1.4 trillion of trades by individuals last quarter, said clients owe $225 million on their accounts after the Swiss National Bank’s decision to abandon the franc’s cap against the euro roiled global markets.

My USDCHF trade before give me a decent New Year present. Yesterday I was itching to place a long limit order, luckily I did not click that button.

Interesting thing I learned from that FXCM guy: “Currencies don’t move that much,” he said. “So if you had no leverage, nobody would trade.”

Everybody should calm down. A day always come like this when the market becomes too harsh for us. Also in a time like this you can rely on your broker to let you close your trades even when the market is moving fast. Slippages during this times are inevitable. I am sorry for your loss.

Well …my broker Alpari UK has shut down all trading and I can not get through to helpdesk, live chat support is disabled and there is NO messages about whats going on anywhere…

Great way to start the day…

Excelmarkets went down yesterday and now I kinda fear my broker has a tiny problem to… and they hold my money…