5m TF Price Action Strategy

Hi JN,

I have read through this thread but no doubt will be doing it a few more times yet. But doing so has so far led me to a couple of questions. If the answers are already in the thread I apologise if I have missed them.

1. Why do trade the opening of the Frankfurt open and not the London open? Is it busier than the London open?

2. A few posts back you said that you look at higher timeframes to establish your bias. What higher timeframes do you look at and what do you look for? I imagine the answers will be somewhere in the “Supply/Demand, VSA, Wyckoff with Petefader” thread but that is huge and I have hardly scratched the surface of it yet.

Thanks for your help

John

Hey John,

Sorry mate, for some reason my email put this in the junk folder from babypips.

I’m around for the Frankfurt Open because of my timezone, it’s nothing against London :slight_smile: Both work. I’m GMT +8 so the Asian Open is my morning, Frankfurt/London my afternoon.

In establishing a bias, I use the weekly/daily, 4hr and 1hr. I post most of my trading bias’ up here Day Trading Diary

Cheers mate,

JN

JN,

I just looked at your day trading diary. I will follow that daily. I tried to email you for the spreadsheet but your email address keeps bouncing

Cheers,
John

sorry about that, all fixed now (I hope).

Hi Laurence,

Does “the strategy” work? A fishing rod works, but it doesn’t mean you’re going to catch a lot of fish!

Hi JN,
As I haven’t really looked a volume before I am a little confused here. (note: it doesn’t take much to confuse me either haha)

I am trying to put together a document in bullet point for the conditions that must be true to make an entry.

From the point of view of volume are we looking for the following:

1. NDNS volume on a pull back of price for an entry
  2. Stopping volume for a possible reversal

Thanks,

John

Hey John,

Here’s a nice example on the EURUSD from yesterday. So the process I go through is firstly to establish a bias. Of the 7 pairs, EURUSD was one of three that I was looking for a long. (EJ and UJ being the others).

So first step after estabishing a bias, is to look for a support & resistance level. Once price gets down to a S&R level, look for a good Sign of Strength, so a wide spread down bar on high volume.

Then once you’ve got this, it’s looking for a confirmed No Supply (because we’re going long)

This method moves away from this thread, but is more inline with market bias (and allows you to trade in a range on the hourly chart). Yesterday was a scrappy day, but a couple of the pairs offered clean entries.

So you establish a bias on the higher timeframes prior to moving to the M5?

If it is not proprietary information, how do you calculate the bias?

Thanks,

John

Yep, spot on. No it’s not a secret or anything, I look at the higher timeframe for an overview (weekly/daily). Then on each the 4hr and 1hr, the trend, price interaction with S&R and lastly volume. A bit of a checklist, then I go with the pairs that have the most confluence.

On the pairs I’ve got a bias for, I wait for a Sign of Strength (like above) or Sign of Weakness if I’m short, then the 5m TF.

If I put together a checklist as a learning exercise for myself I would be more than happy to make it available to others if that suits you.

No probs mate :slight_smile:

Does the trend direction need to be in the same direction on the H1 and H4?

They’re both seperate considerations for me. The trends on the timeframes could be opposing, but maybe the volume for both is correlating. Really I’ve just given each item a ‘score’ or weighting, and at the end of it all the confluence is added up.

Hi JN

A quick question about your spreadsheet. When I purchase it will I be able to edit it so that I can change the currencies I am trading from time to time?

Thanks,

John

Hi JN,

On page one you advise to not trade prior to news announcements. How long prior do you suggest as a rule of thumb?

Hey John,

RE: news, no hard & fast rules, if it’s yellow or orange alert news, or with volume/bias etc… I feel comfortable with the direction of the trade, I might put in a wider stop. Usually like half an hour before news.

Hi JN,

As per post 301 Moved Permanently
The first picture is of the H1 chart with showing stopping volume (I think that is what it is called) coinciding with a bearish bar with a long tail. Is this what you refer to when you say you look for bias on the higher timeframes?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Volume on the 1 hour is one of the criteria I use to form my bias (and one of the timeframes). I look across a couple of times frames, and consider volume, trend, S&R etc.

Hello, I am new here, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing your system, I am actually trying to learn to scalp and your template + methods seems really nice to me.

Hi JF,

Thanks for posting, and apologies for my late reply as I was on holiday. Feel free to try the method & post any queries :slight_smile: