A brief share, questions around volume, any contribution welcome

Okay, I started initially off with Investing in stocks and shares by Dr. John White, I also studied Economics so I had the basics, then started on Fibonacci and EW from Five waves to Financial freedom from Ramki, then on to market wizards (all the series), market micro structure theory from Janet O Hara (complicated read but gives you the idea of what your broker does), Reminiscences of a stock operator by Edwin Le Ferve, (must read), everything on futures, How to trade stocks by Charles Dow, How I trade and invest in stocks and Bonds by Richard D Wyckoff, Anna Coulling all the books on Volume analysis, The Richest man in Babylon, Super Trader by Dr Van Tharp, Flash Boys by Micheal Lewis (just started), profits in the stock market by H M Gartley (just started), The Harmonic trader series by Scott Carney, The Commodities Investor by Phillip Scott, lastly the Dalai Lamaā€™s book of wisdom (necessary for humility, psych balance, stress management, etc).

You can take on a Wall street dude (I should say Chicago, what does wall street do again?) once you finish this collection, there is no way you canā€™t succeed. The rest will be up to you and the plunge, if you decide itā€¦

Excellent list, Emerald!

One thing is for sure, ā€˜1easypips1ā€™: no amount of books will make you ā€˜easy pipsā€™! It is hard work, but the rewards will come, later onā€¦

How is the move going Pip?

You are quite right, no amount of books will make you easy money. I do think the primary problem about the business is that unlike any other profession, you need to firstly know everything about it, you canā€™t no a little and assume it is enough, secondly, you have to perform at peak every single day so you canā€™t afford to feel tired or just simply lazy, thirdly you have to accept that you will be wrong at times and in those cases you will loose money or at the very least make none and lastly you actually have to work hard employing your developed skillsin a methodical fashion day in and day out.

Look at the diverse soceity we have with different social beliefs and attitudes that in most cases define our very idea of work and earning a living and it is sad to say that in most cases people genuinely get ahead by being lazy, taking praise for others hard work, or relying on their larger gender, ethnic or sexual orientation standing in soceity. I spent some time consulting in a merchant bank on a project (it was a well known US one in London), one of the directors categorized his staff into A players, B players and C players, he said most were B players, management and those likely to be promoted were C players and the A players usually left because they handled their own destiny and would not work well in that environment, he claimed the net result was he had a company of B players run by C players.

A players - Smart, hard working, creative and wants to be the best and will take his own destiny in his hands.

B players - Like to hide away, does the bare essentials to get ahead, doesnā€™t care much for promotion, does what he is told and ends floating from job to job and later self employment.

C players - nick named ā€œsun flowersā€, they take all the praise from the A players, do very little work, political animals so will always play up to the boss, put excessive pressure on both B and A players and hire mainly B and C player potential.

So the point of our job at the time was to work with the new recruits and weed out all C players and eventually ensure B players become A players who in turn will be promoted to hire only A and B players.

I have to say I find most people at one point myself are B players, eventually over time will become C players just to survive. I find trading appeals only to A players and all others either get a shock or are forced to raise there game.

Frankly I think the markets are for the most part fun and straightforward but that is just my mindset. The vast majority of people will find it a mine field and are likely to go back to their lives. I personally think this is a good thing because C players are likely to moan about losses, bring on excessive regulation and eventually bottle neck the industry, B players simply shy away and A players lose all together.

The markets are only for A players, I always say become one or get out. Harsh but true. Glad to see you guys have the A player mentally. I hope easypips and all the others realise you need to be an A player through dedication and hard work. Trading requires no less.

Good morning traders! Back and forth between flats, with a stiff back from all the lifting!

I have stopped trading UK100 because I am only trading one instrument per account and I want to stick to that -despite temptations!

However, I was looking at the FTSE100 again, after what I had been posting on here, and I found this article, written yesterday:

FTSE 100 correction ā€˜more than a dipā€™ as Europe stares into abyss - Telegraph

With the S&P500 also breaking an important channel floor, could risk-aversion and panicked flight from risky positioning be setting foot among major investors?

The theme of risk aversion has direct implications for Forex traders, of course, through Yen crossesā€¦

Here is todayā€™s video from John Kicklighter on the mounting threat of a risk aversion scenario:

Strategy Video: What Happens Should Risk Aversionā€¦: Strategy Video: What Happens Should Risk Aversion Collapse Next Week? - YouTube

Ps : Emerald, I noticed that John Kicklighter too has switched on the latest video to Trading Viewā€¦ How can I get the package? It looks so goodā€¦

The USD has gained considerably in strength and Gold is plummetting, barely was able to push above 1226, if it does not make support 1240, I would say investors are ready to push back into equities, interest rate rises always mean less money in consumer pockets, there is probably some nervousness as Yellen is sure this will happen and it will take a while for investors to realise Benanke had a different mandate.

On a whole in an early economic expansion phase investors are likely to be continually risk on. The real scares come from the Ebola crisis in W Africa and the brewing Gulf War 3. Either way it is a great time for traders, not so for value investors.

I agree about Gold ā€¦and Ebolaā€¦and World War IIIā€¦ But the unwinding of carry trade is a great opportunity for us, the crumb-sweepers :slight_smile:

I cannot switch off my trading headā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

It is $20 a month or you can get the Pro lite package for $9.99 a month, which should cover you for currencies. You will need their Pro plus for equities, commodities, etc. www.tradingview.com

It is great for technical analysis, improves execution considerably if you have carting package that is second to none.

The best traders never switch of their trading head. So you have my vote on that.

You are 100% on the carry trade, it is a great opportunity for all traders in the market. Investors are going to have a hard time, especially fund managers who can only go long.

Thank you!

Hello Emerald, GP, PipNRoll, Arbitrager, et al.:

it is a beautiful Sunday morning here in Scotland, and I am just taking a sneaky look at TradingView, as per Emeraldā€™s link yesterday;

I would like to know, if you had a look too, what you think of the package in terms of benefits: I looked now and I realised that the ā€˜Liteā€™ package, at $9.99 a month, has a catch: the tariff is only available if you pay it in one go as a two-year bill, which isā€¦ a whopping sumā€¦ The second point I am unclear about is that on the ā€˜marketsā€™ list, beneath the price, you cannot see Currency or Foreign Exchange, so would you need to buy the ā€˜Proā€™ package?

See screenshot below:

I am not yet convinced that I should invest more than I already am in my Forex trading by purchasing this package, so I will stick to my FXCM trading station for the time being; however, I just thought others may like to share their view on Trading View. Cheers!

I am going for the pro anyway and currency is part of it. The list is add on for exchange based products as those guys charge extra.

Thank you, Emerald!

Here is what is coming in the week ahead:

Could a generalized Forex volume be possible some day? Hopefully the market will get centralized.

That wonā€™t be good. At least now it is more competitive and the cost of the trade is cheaper.

No need for centralization imo. A decent broker will have a good representation of the market activity as a whole. Esignal does offer a composite feed of about 300 brokers. I didnā€™t see much difference from the good, free feeds. BTW, hi everyone in here. Good to see more people using this crucial tool. Havenā€™t checked out the methodology in here though. :57:

Sorry misprint, should be audusd
I have a pending order on audusd. Fib reading taken on 30 minute chart will be confirmed with MFI, Support and Resistance. No economic events for today. Illustration shown on 15 minute chart. Lime is the entry, 62% retrace level, red us stop at 75% level, turqose is trailing stop at 22% level, gold are potential profits. This pair seems to be ranging, so I might switch layout to my ranging strategy of lines at the 30 minute high, low and center. Anyway thatā€™s my storey and Iā€™m sticking to it. Good Luck everyone with your trades today
Gp

Didnā€™t know what the Aussie did today but was a quiet day, went down -15 pips on an intraday trade EU today. It was one of those trades were your stop gets taken and the market reverses, well I was 1.2696 on my stop market went to 1.2698 and then reversed and reversed again. Turned out it was Columbus day in the States, so I was at the market makers mercy today (need to make this rule no Monday trading). One of those errors you make and learn fromā€¦ I switched of my screens and decided it was time for some entertainment.

I am actually enjoying the series Our Girl on BBC 2, watched a few episodes on Iplayer.

Ah, yes, the teen actress turned adult, from Albert Square to Afghanistan - quite a journey!

Sorry to hear about thatā€¦ Had a c*ap day with my NZD/JPY too, stopped out a few timesā€¦now, finally, seems to be like a good trade is on its way.

Low risk + stops = no sweat :slight_smile: