A picture is worth

Solar flare close up.

And a size comparison…

Great picture, Mike. It should be titled “Ring of Fire”.

I have a recent Hubble pic that I think you will like, being the space-buff that you are. I’ll post it a little later.

that flare image is from NASA, Here’s a link to the video that shows the flare in motion.

First Light for the Solar Dynamics Observatory - NASA Science

Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the launching of the Hubble Space Telescope

This image, released April 22, captures the chaotic activity atop a three light-year tall pillar of gas and dust that is being eaten away by the brilliant light from nearby bright stars. The turbulent cosmic pinnacle lies within a tempestuous stellar nursery called the Carina Nebula, located 7,500 light-years away in the southern constellation Carina. The image celebrates the 20th anniversary of Hubble’s launch and deployment into an orbit around Earth. (Text from MSNBC)

For the complete article and more photos, click — Hubble team marks 20 years with a new view - Space- msnbc.com

yes that’s right. Silly isn’t it? I think if it has enough gravity to collapse into a spherical shape and it orbits the sun then it should be a planet.
Interesting to note that we have now found about 450 other planets outside our solar system. Rough estimates are that 80% of all stars have planets.

It takes him four hours to do one hand. He then photographs it for posterity. I cannot imagine how he does it, the eyes are so remarkably lifelike. It took him 10 hours to do the two-handed Eagle.

Unfortunately I don’t know who “him” is…someone sent me these in an email.

A few more…

Kinda puts my tiger face painting to shame…lol

WOW! that is very cool.

how’d they do that? neat!

Hello,

Did you know that Hubble only takes black and white pictures??? All these pictures that you see with the beautiful colors are a sort of ‘artists impression’ of the colors (well: the colors are chosen based on some or the other scientfic method of course). I saw this on TV once not too long ago i.e. somebody was conducting an interview with someone that does this for a living.

It was on TV!!! It MUST be true!!! (Billy Connolly)!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

You’re right! Here’s an article on it from the hubble website.
HubbleSite - Behind the Pictures - Meaning of Color

Not a picture, much better- a video!

Swedish police officer dancing for no particular reason:
This is what happens when you attempt to take video of police in Sweden. [VIDEO]

LOL
I think that dance is called the Funky Chicken

La leche… Sweden just raised position in most cool country with the work of this guy.

Loved the “keep serious” face! :smiley:

And loved the pictures! not so much the geo-political discussion as that pictures hurt people, in both sides of opinion, so much.

Clint are you moving on to greener pastures?

That reminds me of the time my brother and I were working as masons. We were building a fireplace. Someone got a deal on some granite from a headstone maker. In the load of rock was a small grave that said “Father” We brought it home and left it on dads kitchen table with no explanation.

Lucky for us dad has a dark sense of humor and is cheap so he appreciated the gift:D I am not sure what happened to that stone or if he still has it but it was kicking around the house for years.

Not just yet, I hope. That gravestone just made me laugh.

I saw an interview on TV a year or two ago, and the person being interviewed was asked what he wanted on his headstone.
He thought for a moment and said, [B]I knew this was going to happen[/B]. I wish I could remember who said that.

I’ll say! That kind of prank can blow up in your face.

When I was a kid, there were a couple of girls (twin sisters) in my neighborhood who liked to sneak around at night and leave small headstones on people’s doorsteps.

They left one on my parents’ front porch one night that said “Our Baby”. My mother was not amused — later, she took those girls aside for a little “personal coaching”.

Paybacks are hell