Advanced trend line trading with SSD

[B]R Carter[/B]

Hope you enjoyed your beers. I certainly did. :smiley:

What LWMAs values you are using in that chart of yoursā€¦?

Same values as SSDā€¦?

Thx.

I just scrolled my chart back to some random point in the past and put up the lines manually, then overlayed the fib fan. same results very close. This is on the red lines that connect the highs. Fibs donā€™t seem to match so well on the green lines that connect the lows. I still think manually placing the lines is better since you are connecting to actual price whereas the fibs are just a mathematical calculation of where price might be.

in this pic fibfan2, red trend lines. yellow fibs, 4h chart.
picture fibfan3 shows the bottom connectors, not quite as good a match but still pretty close.

Are those red lines trend lines?

[B]Cas[/B]

On the 4 hour chart even LWMA is not fast enough! I have used a 5 period regression line on the 4 hour chart. But this is a secondary indicator in this case as back up for SSD set to 10:4:2. Same with the optional boll band. The primary indicator is SSD and trend line in this strat. This strat is not a hypertheticalā€¦ its the way I actually trade GU on the 4h chart. The 5m and 15m you know based on our other thread. :slight_smile:

[B]R Carter[/B]

O.K. I got you now. :smiley:

kind of hard to see in that pic, but yes, red lines trend lines, yellow is fib. In the second chart, green are trend lines and yellow fibs. Red and Green just like R.C. said for the strat.

My wonderful charting software is playing silly buggers so I canā€™t post up a chartā€¦ will keep trying. But I have placed a tentative long at 1.5850. :slight_smile:

SSD is at rock bottom and faster line has crossed the slower. Would like to see the slower line curve up for confirmationā€¦ will wait and see.

RC Do you wait for the stoch cross on the 4 hour or try to jump in earlier on the 15m or 1h?

thanks!

[B]d-pip[/B]

No I trade the 4h completely seperately from other shorter time charts. I do trade the 5m & 15m. Try ā€˜Bollinger band trading with MAā€™sā€™ for how Cas, SanMiguel and I trade these time frames. :slight_smile:

Okay!

Iā€™ve been reading the ā€œBollinger band trading with MAā€™sā€ but Iā€™m stickin with you here on the 4h and the ā€œlondon break 1ā€

I like the idea of the 4hā€¦ Iā€™m hoping to grab some pips and get some sleep too!

thanks for the great info, extremely grateful :slight_smile:

When you say tentative do you mean a small trade ? or does that mean youā€™re ready to close it quick if it goes the other way?

my fast line hasnā€™t crossed the slow one yet. maybe a difference in metatrader and tradestation.

[B]TalonD[/B]

My fast line crossed the slow line but is now level with th slow. Usually I wait until the fast line crosses the slow and the slow line starts to turn up. Thats why I suggested a tentative trade. Iā€™m still in but if it goes to 1.5810 I will reconsider my position. My feeling is still a break to the upside.

Reason why i ask is because thats not the proper way to draw trend lines, in fact you are far off. Trend lines are drawn from swing high/low to lower high/higher low after a new low/high is formed. What you are doing on the first chart posted is connecting highs without a new low.

[B]Cadarkitek[/B]

I think what TalonD was trying to demonstrate was the difference between hand drawn trend lines and the Fib fan on his charting package. Illustrating the difference between the two. :slight_smile:

ā€œDraw down trend lines from the highest high of recent price action down to intersect the solid tops of more recent highs as the chart unfolds. Draw up trend lines from the lowest low of recent price action up to intersect the solid candle bottoms of more recent lows as the chart unfolds (see attached chart for recent illustration)ā€

I was trying to follow the instructions from RCarterā€™s first post. I think I did it right? except I was playing around with connecting the candle wicks rather than the solid body, have tried it both ways. Doesnā€™t seem to make much difference.

Hey Talon I see what you are saying but thats exactly why I ask if they were trend lines. For the up TL the market has to break the high of the initial swing before the line is drawn and for the down TL it has to break the low of the initial swing. In other words draw up TL while the market is making higher lows/higher highs and down TL when its making lower highs/lower lows.
In the chart below the yellow lines are not trend lines but the white ones are. The cyan lines shows the break of the highs/lows after the trend lines are drawn.

ok, I see what youā€™re saying now. so the lines in this strategy arenā€™t ā€˜technicallyā€™ trend lines. But they do seem to function as some kind of support / resistance lines. I guess the correct term would be fan lines? two different animals but they seem to work well.

Originally Posted by R Carter View Post
My wonderful charting software is playing silly buggers so I canā€™t post up a chartā€¦ will keep trying. But I have placed a tentative long at 1.5850.

SSD is at rock bottom and faster line has crossed the slower. Would like to see the slower line curve up for confirmationā€¦ will wait and see.

Where was the trendline on that one? :confused:

Also, which brings me onto my next question :slight_smile: How long do your trendlines remain valid for? Usually once price has crossed a trendline, I would take it off the chart but would you leave these ones on for the next few swing highs and lows?

to avoid a little confusion Iā€™m calling it a fan line. so price is bumping up against my upper line which I see as resistance but the stoch is pointed up. so mixed signals, what would you do in this situation?

Any tips as to what you would classify as ā€˜recentā€™ and ā€˜more recentā€™?

I was thinking ā€˜recentā€™ as anything between one and three months and ā€˜more recentā€™ as in the past week? :o