And Still More Censorship

LaughingCharlie observed, in another thread now locked by the moderators:-

And he’s right.

Earlier today I made a perfectly polite, reasonable, relevant post in a thread titled “Feedback about new Discourse Forums” offering feedback about the new Discourse platform. I was making an observation about the way the method of “hiding” posts flagged by the community actually draws attention to them by presenting an enticing link to click to view the “hidden” content.

My post was deleted and I got a message from the moderators telling me that it was “off topic” and that if I made it there again it would be deleted again for being “off topic”.

If that observation is “off topic” in a thread entitled “Feedback about new Discourse Forums”, where would it be “on topic”?! :scream:

Really, where do the moderators want and expect an observation about that to be made?

Or will it be censored, and will I get warnings from the moderators, wherever I post it?

Pipstradamus, you keep on telling everyone that ordinary members who don’t break the rules are not censored, so please tell me why this is happening, because at the moment, I think you can see that it’s really not possible to make any sense of it at all, is it? :astonished:

1 Like

I have criticized the management of this new site, I still criticize the layout, and more specifically the lack of intuitiveness in site navigation - just as in trading, ‘Keep It Simple’ is out of fashion, make it complicated is the current thinking.

Just had a quick look at that thread, many posts are hidden, viewed the hidden content and now I’m much wiser.

Time will tell, as always. - I’ve had posts deleted, usually where the UK spreadbetters are involved for whatever reason, costs little sleep.

The handbags came out in that thread @peterma, I assume you mean the thread below, by the way?

It was also innocent fun, and all was taken as slapstick comments - many more were removed, too, which you wont have seen. However, we have to be serious here, no comments allowed that aren’t 100% related to content, content & content. It’s become a rather boring and sterile place to be.

I was never interested in the pros and cons of infinite scrolling before the site re-design and didn’t understand what it even meant. I sure as hell understand now. Navigation on this site is rubbish.

1 Like

Seriously, Pipstradamus - I know it’s Sunday and I’m not trying to hurry you, but please, on this occasion, would you at least reply to my question above before you lock the thread?

Move on folks.

I certainly am

2 Likes

I’ve now received a reply from a moderator telling me my post was deleted because I made duplicate posts there.

The original message said “We have noticed that your post/s is unrelated to the thread topic.” (I pasted that in directly from the message).

So now the story’s different, but admittedly my post there has now been re-instated (I just looked).

I wouldn’t even have started this thread if I’d been given the correct explanation in the first place.

What a struggle the simplest little thing is, here.

I guess I didn’t wait for their “process to work out”! :tired_face:

Hello TacitaTrader,

I’m not seeing that. You did triple post the same post, so two of the three posts were removed. I’m not seeing it, so if you could PM the text, I can double check it for you.

Thanks for replying, Pipstradamus.

All three were removed, and the reason given was as I stated above (which was clearly incorrect).

But Nica kindly sent me a message just a few minutes ago telling me that after reading my post again she accepts that it was related to the thread topic, so she re-instated it.

(I didn’t post three times intentionally!).

T, the problem with infinite scroll is that where there large content to be loaded it is not all loaded at once (too much data).

So you grab the scroll bar on the right to scroll down to the bottom (that’s intuitive) - with a long thread that will not work, as you drag down more data is loaded so the scroll bar jumps back up the screen, repeat and the same thing.

How many times? - the number of times it takes to reach the end of a length of string.

There are shortcuts, key is to make these intuitive - just like click on ‘page 1’ or ‘last page’.

Top left of this page there are 2 white coloured links, “and still more censorship” likely first post, the box beside it likely home page forums - to make that simple would be to have a house symbol in the box.

As we say in our part of the world, it’s all great craic.

1 Like

Well here goes an off topic post, but. The “Home” thingie needs to be at the bottom of the page, not the top. I don’t know, maybe my Teutonic Brain can’t understand why the Homie thing would be at the beginning rather than the end of the thread.

The Ever Still Not Understanding The Internet Of Things VIPER

I don’t know about great craic, I find its a bloody nuisance.

I just used the scroll thingy on a 21k post thread, top to bottom. Smooth as silk for me. Are you saying the scrolling sticks on its own while scrolling? Maybe you’re on your phone or tablet?

Yep, I’m the first to admit that the new site becomes easier with time - but I will make more suggestions :slight_smile:

Edit: Vipe - you are showing your age, home should always be top left (no idea why, something to do with the human eye, seems they always look left top to see where they are)

And one more boring suggestion, again in the interest of intuitiveness.

That little menu corner diverges from the norm, which in a sense is a good thing but the priority is to keep a user onsite.

The little > comes from my era, good old msdos. It was the best that programmers could do with text to let users know exactly how far in they were in a directory (now called folders).

The important thing was to keep it on one line, seems users instinctively followed the words left to right.

If I really wanted the second line then perhaps a > at the end of ‘censorship’ on line 1.

Thanks for the feedback. We’ve been looking at this area for some improvements. It could be more intuitive for sure. I’ll be sure to share your thoughts with the design and dev teams.

Thanks!

Pipstradamus

1 Like

Hahahahahaha, thanks, I actually figgered it out a couple of days ago. The house in the box, I kept seeing it, and thought, what the heck is that, modern art that somebody’s unemployed Brother in law came up with, or, could it be a gateway to the Chamber Of The Robot Elders? Finally curiosity got the best of me and I clicked on it, expecting to find myself in the Dwellings of Simplicity on Castrovalva, But, nope, just the home button, and a weird one at that.

The Ever Freaked Out By The Masters Laugh VIPER

1 Like