Balls Of Steel - trading volatile pairs

Out for +200 pips

Back in GbpJpy after 100 pip plus retracement, long @ 139.45
Also long GbpNzd @ 1.8290
and long GbpUsd @ 1.3233

[B]But this may happen instead[/B]
"BOE RATE CUT MAY COME IN AUGUST RATHER THAN JULY – BREXIT MARKET TALK
14 July 2016, 10:20
0720 GMT UniCredit analysts say the Bank of England’s monetary policy council meeting will “probably” leave monetary policy unchanged. It expects a 25 basis point cut in interest rates to 0.25% in August and a further cut to zero in November. However, it sees a “big risk” of the BoE cutting rates already on Thursday. UniCredit sees the MPC likely to leave the door open to further asset purchases but it thinks the MPC is likely to favor more targeted stimulus measures, such as boosting its funding for lending scheme. The 10-year gilt benchmark is currently trades at 0.796%, according to Tradeweb. GBP/USD trades up around 0.7% at $1.3220.([email protected] ; @EmeseBartha)

Contact us in London. +44-20-7842-9464
<[email protected]>

(END) Dow Jones Newswires"

I think the second suggestion is interesting. Given that Carney has already hinted at a cut, if he doesn’t cut it could be seen as dithering, however cutting immediately could be seen as panicking.
As a cut seems to have been priced in by the market, any delay could cause Sterling to drop again.
Should be an interesting day

Kerching!!!
Some nice moves up on the BoE announcement to keep rates on hold.

Super! POUND shot up.

Silly economists gambling their careers on a rate cut that was never going to happen haha

Certainly looking better for your GbpNzd trade than it was a few weeks ago. :slight_smile:

Absolutely!!

Closed these for over 500 pips.
New trades opened at lower prices,
GbpJpy long @ 141.40
GbpNzd long @ 1.8615

Go Eddie, go!

I’ve doubled my account this month, largely thanks to GbpNzd

An amazing feat, considering the ‘dead zone’ that the EU referendum caused in markets.after the initial Pound drop…

I cannot make similar claims, only that I am currently between 1000 and.1100 pips lighter in my drawdown, pretty much in the matter of a day.

I wonder what was said by assistant RBNZ governor McDermott at his speech yesterday to make the Kiwi plunge as it did…

To be fair its a bit of a no brainer for several reasons. The BoE rate freeze and Fed stance suggest no rate hikes here, indeed cuts are more likely, so pressure is on the RBNZ to cut their rates. Then the stability offered by a new British PM and Cabinet is always welcome news. Finally, the realisation that Sterling was probably oversold anyway.
I keep cashing my chips, waiting for a drop, then buying again. Then if it turns against me I will, hopefully, have a bigger account to help me ride it out…thats the theory at least :slight_smile:

The perfect plan :slight_smile:

Sterling, Yen Fall Further as Dollar Rises – Market Talk

15 July 2016, 18:07

1507 GMT Above-forecast U.S. retail sales and industrial production help boost the U.S. dollar, further pressuring sterling and the yen as investors anticipate central bank stimulus in Japan and the U.K. USD/JPY rises 0.6% to 105.89, having hit a three-week peak of 106.31, according to Factset. Sterling drops 0.8% to $1.3231, well below an earlier peak around $1.3481. Bank of England policymaker Andy Haldane’s comment that “material” monetary easing will be needed in August caused the pound to erase the gains seen after the BOE opted to hold interest rates on Thursday. CIBC analyst Jeremy Stretch sees a move towards $1.3050/$1.3100, adding “signs of fragility” in flash PMI data on July 22 would “extend expectations of BoE action on Aug. 4.” ([email protected])

Contact us in London. +44-20-7842-9464
<[email protected]>

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

Last trade of the week
Long GbpJpy @ 138.45

NEW ZEALAND DOLLAR SLUMPS ON BENIGN CPI
18 July 2016, 09:32

By James Glynn

SYDNEY–The New Zealand dollar slumped Monday on news of benign inflation in the second quarter, which set the scene for an interest rate cut in mid-August.

At 0625 GMT, the New Zealand dollar was trading at US$0.7099, down from US$0.7213 late Friday.

New Zealand consumer prices rose 0.4% in the second quarter and were up 0.4% from a year earlier, Statistics New Zealand said. Economists had expected consumer prices to rise 0.6% in the quarter and 0.6% from a year earlier.

The soft data comes as the Reserve Bank of New Zealand plans to publish an economic update on Thursday, with many traders expecting it to point to an interest rate cut at its next policy meeting on Aug. 11

Markets are now pricing in a nearly 80% chance of a rate cut in August, a jump from around a 40% chance a week ago.

“Our view is that the RBNZ would not have called the update if they did not want to steer the market,” said Mr. Ray Attrill, who heads currency strategy at National Australia Bank.

Annette Beacher, who heads economic research for TD Securities in Asia, said the market will focus on what the RBNZ says mostly about the elevated level of the New Zealand dollar and its likely impact on inflation.

Still, any interest rate cut will carry some risks with property prices in major markets like Auckland still rising, creating concerns about banking sector stability.

“I am not convinced of a cut, but we have to be open minded. We really don’t know if housing stays their hand like it did in June,” Ms. Beacher said.

-Write to James Glynn at <[email protected]>

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

300 pips up on this, 250 up on gbpnzd

Nice one, Eddie…

:slight_smile:

Closed these trades, waiting for next opportunity to buy in again. Been a nice month, 900+ pips on gbpnzd alone over 3-4 trades

Big drop after UK retail figures.
GbpNzd long @ 1.8825
GbpJpy long 140.05