COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Now that is something new and sounds interesting. I think you should test it though for very many trades first, keep us updated and we see how it goes. You forgot although the situation when you lose both trades. It is odd but can happen. Like an NZD rally and a EUR weakness gives you two losses and if your average win with two such trades is + 30 pips (once you win lets say + 110 pips and lose - 80 pips with the other), but with one bad trade you lose - 160 pips (2x lets say - 80 pips). This means your system has to work perfectly and make your little gain at least 6 out of 7 times to come out with profit in the end. And in this case we still talk about a mini profit.

But sound interesting so after some test results, tell us about it.

FE

Thanks big brothers! (even though Iā€™m much older than you all ) But not in this field. I look up to you guys.
Thanks for the input.

I have to digest all of what your all saying.

Although I do have many reasons for what Iā€™m doing. And can argue about the risk/reward topic.
But, maybe another time for that.

Iā€™m gonna re read all this stuff from you.

Mike

The thing is here Iā€™m trading my system and not the 80 pips loss. So it will work out a bit differently. But you are right it could happen. The only problem is there is no way to backtest this unfortunately. But I just gave an example so may be Iā€™ll trade it or at least monitor it on paper.
EDIT: But may be the extension of that idea is to form a tree that you trade simultaneously. So that you end up selling and buying all currencies simultaneously and rely on the risk reward to make you the profit.

[B]Another Edit[/B] Now what if: NZDCAD short, EURCAD long, AUDNZD short and EURAUD short. This is a situation where winners and losers will be equal or am I missing something?

Just thought Iā€™d post a little note re WillSpread and itā€™s use with divergence.

All charts are hr1 Eur/Usd Thur, Fri and today.

Chart 1 is W/s on USDX
Chart 2 is W/s On US 10yr
Chart 3 is Stochs
Chart4 is Rsi

Update: took me longer to create the post than it did for price to fall back - little wonder I dislike Mondays :slight_smile:

Phil, just shoot up your TP pip amount, SL pip amount and your results :slight_smile: I do believe this system does not a very long time of test. But might work out.

I do not have initially-set losses or target unfortunately. But Iā€™ll keep you posted on my progress.
So far I longed at 1.36750. Iā€™m yet to short NZDCAD however as the signal is not complete.

There is a possibility I donā€™t take the NZDCAD trade because my broker would not let me split my lot size in half (which would 5500 each). It would only accept 5000 for instance. So at the moment the full 11000 is allocated for EURCAD. What I can do is hedge 5000 for example then sell NZDCAD sell. But if the trade goes well I probably will not hedge it and will settle for observing NZDCAD until next trade.

@Peterma, the thing I like about your post is that you are one of the few people who trade divergences correctly :wink:

Hey Philip.

The only trade I opened up so far this week is the EUR/CAD. Favoring the CAD. I do agree with you on possibly CAD doing some damage this week.
But, as it stands now, Iā€™m down 100 pips.
Iā€™m not worried. In the least. My training is paying off.
If you guys have not seen my new thread, itā€™s called ā€˜trading in the zoneā€™ā€¦in the newbie section.
Iā€™m changing quit a bit because of that book. Iā€™ve been reading it over and over, daily also.
I feel so much free er now that Iā€™m getting closer and closer to having the correct trading mindset.
If you havenā€™t read itā€¦I think itā€™s a must!

So, anyway, itā€™s all good.
Itā€™s all about playing the probabilities.

Mike

Iā€™ll check your thread for sure :slight_smile:

Iā€™m long EURCAD, but glad to know that if I lose I can just demand the money back from you :stuck_out_tongue:

What kind of WS settings are you using? I donā€™t see the Bond hidden divergence =/

Just the default, with correlation set to false, becomes like an oscillator - major difference is that it is using a different (influencing) market.

On EurUsd it was showing the same result using 10yr and the usdx - doesnā€™t always happen, but when it does shows a tendency to be correct.

Also just happened that it was showing same divergence as the two most common oscilators.

The only negative yesterday was the fact that it was Monday - so there was a little panic selling when NY opened, all is well since.

Hey Mike,

I just wanted to note that Iā€™ve been there down 100pips at one point 300pips and I wasnā€™t feeling anything until I went live and stepped up my lot size. While I applaud you on your effort in trying to have the right mind set which I also I believe every one should have if they want to win but I also wanted to remind you that you could do better. I would trade during London or NY and go in at the right time, I know finding the right time to pull the trigger is easier said than done but with time and enough experience youā€™ll get it step by step.

I have been trying it for weeks no system will give you heads up sorry Phil as much as Iā€™m all for your system thats still my view. I like to view 30m chart from late Asia to early London if I see a momentum in either direction I jump on board but I would usually have my analysis watchlist for the day or week sometimes it goes as per plan sometimes it doesnā€™t I jump on board with whoā€™s going the fastest if that makes any sense. Iā€™ll usually have not more than 60-70pips SL and if youā€™re able to catch the momentum or get in at the right time especially during early London youā€™re basically all set it wonā€™t even come near your SL provided that thereā€™s still momentum.

I also tried trading with risk reward ratio similar to yours I was set to make it work. But I came back using the old 1:2 or higher. Not saying it wonā€™t work but it didnā€™t work for me.

That was 24 hours ago - the interesting point was where price fell back to on NY yesterday - right to the level where the divergence occurred - 1.0885

Anyways, seems no-one knows why the Euro buying since - some blaming Greece, yet others stops - but good little WS gave a heads up on some pips :slight_smile:

I entered NZDCAD short at 0.88985 just now. But its a very small amount because that what my money management rules allow. I frankly didnā€™t want to hedge EURCAD after it moved 150+ pips in my favor on the first day.

I was mentioning last week about the diminishing threat of deflation in EZ as I saw it:

ā€œNow we have a scenario that there is a probability that this threat is coming to an end, simply caused by a surging USD and the use of Chinese labour and materials by many European manufacturers.ā€

Today this was a news headline:

ā€œEuro zone inflation was higher than expected in May, data showed today, as consumer prices started rising again after five months of falls and stagnation despite a continued strong drag on the index from cheaper energyā€.

If it was the case that the continued threat of deflation was a driver in the Euro downtrend, then there is little surprise in the market reaction today.

And finally, on Greece - the Troika are agreed on a blueprint (which is progress), the Greek Govt is agreed on a separate blueprint - will the two proposals merge? - there are hints of movement on the pension question - if itā€™s going to happen then it has to happen within the next days.

(rumours are circulating that the deal is tantalizingly close)

I remain optimistic - the again I am always an optimist :slight_smile:

Peterma, this is all good and well for the immediate term. But at the end of the day a trend of a currency is determined by interest rates and the US (whether this year or not) will hike first. In other words, This is only a squeeze for dollar longs. Or do you see it differently.

Hi Philip, my sense says that Europe (aside from the Greek risk) will offer investors better growth potential over the next couple of years - if I was to lock into a 2 year investment I would hesitate on USD, just in the same way that I would have hesitated on EUR back in Nov 2013 ( earlier post).

Interest rates form part of the growth picture, if investors took the view that a rise was not sustainable or that it could negatively impact on growth then itā€™s only short term traders who would jump in - so the case has to be made that any interest rate rise is positive for the long term.

Hey guys.
Ok Philip, Iā€™ll join ya. (trades update)

Trades taken profit this week for me.
NZD/CAD --set 2 weeks ago, finally took when the market opened.
AUD/JPY ā€“ set 1 week ago, took this week.
AUD/NZD ā€“ set 1 week ago, took this week.
EUR/NZD ā€“ this week. Was a hedge against my other EUR trade (loser one).

Losers.
EUR/CAD ā€” Your welcome Philip. Feel good giving it to you.

Running trades.
USD/JPY --opened Tues. Looking good so far.
EUR/AUD ā€“ looking for south (AUD)ā€“opened Tues. Came within 15 pips of my sl, then turned around. Back in the ball game with it now. My reason for getting in it was it was standing on my line between trending high and ranging (1.4293 favoring AUD). Chances should be better for 100+ than 200-.
AUD/CHF ā€“ looking for south (CHF) --opened today, during early London. Used it as a hedge for the previous trade. The CHF is trending high, and a nice retrace happened early this week.

Again, all of the trades are trending high (my determination on weekly time frame). But the EUR/AUD was the only tipper.

Mike

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, please: I keep reading (at grabthefx.com; cnbc.com; bbc.comā€¦) that Greece stepping out of the EU might translate into a massive drop in the EUR; I suppose thatā€™s one of the main reasons for the pressure coming from US, as rates would be probably increased soon, and this would make the Dollar to appreciate (even more)ā€¦ and if the Euro keeps falling, it wonā€™t be nice for economic sake (for the US)ā€¦ How about that?

Yes, Greece is a risk for Euro longs, FE linked back last week to a little article re investors buying Greek shares, this typifies the current attitude, including my own, that there will be some sort of fudge solution to the problem - failure will mean a sell on Euro for some days, then the vultures will likely circle.

Todayā€™s action on Eur/Usd is more of the same on the inflation story - this from the ECB today:

[B]After leaving interest rates at a record low 0.05%, the ECB raised its inflation forecast to 0.3% for this year, having previously put it at zero, saying that its trillion-euro-plus asset buying programme was paying off but had to be seen through
[/B]

This from The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development today:

[B]the US economy to grow just by 2% this year and 2.8% next, down from its November forecast of 3.1% and 3% respectively[/B]

And then to add a little more;

[B]expects growth in the euro area to rise by 1.4% this year and 2.1% in 2016, up from 1.1% and 1.7% respectively[/B].