COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

I have been thinking about AUD a lot. I’m thinking that may be it is a similar scenario with GBP. In GBP, there was an expectation that interest rates would be hiked this year. When it became more and more obvious that its not, GBP just tumbled non-stop, even though fundamentally it is the strongest economy. This also prompted FE to consider if there is an opportunity to buy GBP for the long-term. In a sense that we bought at a very low price that when the interest rates are eventually hiked (whether this year or the next, we would make a very good return on it.) I actually want to know if you know whether Carney would give a speech today or next week? the media did not really mention him at all.

Going back to the AUD, we clearly see that the economy is struggling. It is originally an economy that is based on exporting commodities like gold an Iron to countries like China and the US. With the struggles in China (which should have a bearish impact on AUD) and the decline in gold, the central bank was looking to diversify its economy away from exports. That method is having a short to medium-term negative impact on the economy. One of those impacts is that unemployment is at an historic high (full employment is one of the main goals of the central bank in Australia). So may be big investors are looking for RBA to lower interest rates, so when ever that does not happen they push the price up (for no fundamental reason) just like the GBP’s value goes down for no fundamental reason. May be this also offers an opportunity to short AUD for a long-term play.

Hi Philip,

here is an article written just for you:

Making Sense of the Latest BOE Meeting Minutes | Forex Blog: Piponomics

I do not know when Carney speaks. I guess next month.

I like your point on AUD. I do agree with what you have written. Maybe we can even add that New Zealand is an important partner for Australia so when the small brother does not make good reports then with some time it will also affect AUD. I do not believe in a rate cut soon. RBA might do something but a rate cut, no I do not think about that one. The bearish forecast from you can however happen.

One more thing guys. In 2 hours is the Yellen speech. I have been thinking today about what is a bullish statement and what is a bearish statement from her? Rate hike this year would be bullish and end of next year I guess bearish. However what happens when she says the end of next Spring or the beginning of Summer 2015? Is that bearish or bullish? :slight_smile: Make your bets before the event!

I think she will avoid talking about rate hikes all together. Sidelines for me.

Guys…
Yep, interesting.
I look at it this way. Given the BROAD trending of things. How trends work. It just seems like the USD will be on the path of an upward move to the end of the year. Yes, there will always be the drops. But in the big picture of things, given GBP has had their chance, and no one else being a front runner, I think the USD will take the lead for the rest of the year. GBP was just too over valued so far.
I hope you understand what I’m thinking. It’s more about looking at trends. More than fundamentally thinking. That is my point now. And that point with the year in total in mind.
That’s just some thinking. That’s all. Sure I need to always here the fundamentals, and technicals, which have the MOST affect on my trading. But, I just have another thinking also (just described), about how trends seem to play out.
I guess that will explain why I just don’t want to miss out on any USD runs. If I have to get back in on a trade, then so be it. Yes, I do think my problems lie in how close my stops have been. I did widen them today. I have 5 open USD trades going today, with stops, (wide).

Mike

[I]I continue now a new series here, I write here down my own thoughts about my second COT book as I read it. I write down anyway always for myself what I think is important to look it back later, so I decided why not to post it here too? Important: I write down the own words of the author, in the right order as it comes in the book. However I will not structure the different thoughts and do not write down which pages they were. I just want to mention the sentences which I find important for myself. This is not the same value for you as reading the book (hopefully you will all read it when you have the time for it), however it is better than nothing. I also make my own summary in the end of each post.[/I]

[B]Watching the Commercials[/B]

Small speculators: the public on balance loses money trading. This means we ant to do the opposite of them in almost all instances. They are great unwashed masses, uneducated to the ways of the markets. They are great unwashed masses, uneducated to the ways of the markets. Emotions and rumors rule their trading strategies. We can key off this crowd by doing the opposite of what they do. In fact, when I show you how I use all this data to construct some market indicators you will see that the public, or small traders, usually do just about the exactly opposite of the commercials.

[B]Understanding the Commercials[/B]

I prefer using weekly charts for several reasons: we get the information once a week, not on a daily time frame. There is less data to follow. I like to keep it simple, and these simple weekly charts are what I have always used.

I admonish you to keep this point in mind: it is the extremely bullish or bearish stances the commercials make that tip us as to what to do. If they have just begun more selling than buying, unless that is an extreme level, it means very little to us.

[I]Lesson one in using the commercial data: multiyear highs in net buying beget bull markets. Multiyear lows in net selling beget bear markets.[/I]

[I]Summary[/I]: you might ask if the book is very boring that I only write so little about it. Well it is not the case. The fact is that we already know everything and I have written it down from the other book so I do not repeat myself. I like the style of Williams. The introducing part was pretty much the same thought. So you might ask why do I write only about small speculators in a chapter when it is called “Watching the Commercials”. It has to do that I found in both chapter 1 issue where Briese and Williams do have different opinions right in the beginning of the book!

Here are the issues:

→ Briese was more cautious about small speculators, for this reason I chose to write out this section from the chapter. Briese says the small speculators are hedgers and speculators as well so it is hard to tell if they win or lose. Williams clearly states they lose money.

→ Briese states it makes more sense to follow non-commercials on net-positions extreme because their pocket are not as deep and might be exhausted on the extremes while commercials have deep pockets and can push through the extremes. At the same time Williams argues it makes more sense to follow commercials on net positions extremes because they have the best information and they are the people who know the most what to do.

I will read the book further on and keep you updated if they have different standpoint or they come pretty much to the same conclusions.

I might have an update on AUD. It comes from Forex live’s Adam Button. He has been doing quite well this year, calling the top in Euro and recommending buying Dollar two months ago where he thought it would be the bottom.

He said in an interview with Kitco that the AUD over the past six week has been the second strongest currency. He added that over the next month AUD has a chance at being the strongest currency in the market. Button attributed that to a strong flow of investment into Australia, mainly in mining and oil.

Here’s the interview: Video: Talking about gold, Yellen and the US dollar | ForexLive

Thanks Philip!

That puts some things into perspective! As I do not look at Forex live, it was good that you pointed out this video. I might mix the AUD then. Going short with it vs. USD and long with it vs. the others.

We can discuss it on the weekend after analysing COT!

And good call from you for Yellen’s speech. I was so excited and then we got such a speech…

Hi guys,

just wanted to say short that I have already decided which are my trades next week and more than that, I already entered them :slight_smile: :

EUR/AUD short
AUD/NZD long
AUD/CAD long

I plan to hold them long and have only visual stop loss (info for rookie).

Sorry I have to go in hurry, just wanted to share. I did not understand AUD but Philips video made some things clear. I explain my decision on the weekend!

See you guys tomorrow!

I actually finished my analysis but will share it tomorrow (it’s the weekend!) I will be looking to buy CHF (which commercials, from an extreme, cut their buying and started selling) and AUD against all the other currencies (if technical allow me)

CHFJPY would be the obvious call to long CHF for me. As for AUD I will look into longing it against CAD possibly, EUR certainly.

EDIT: I like your trades FE, can’t wait to hear more on them on the weekend.

Hey guys…

Hope you’re all having a great weekend. There’s no need to feel bad for me Mike my EURUSD short managed to hit TP soon after Yellens speech. Oh boy that was quick! Thought about keeping it but ECBs head was going to deliver a speech later after her so I’ve closed it just as it.

As for NZDUSD I’m keeping it going. Have you guys read the headlines on Ukraine ? Monday might start off risk off.

Hope you’re having a great run guys! Mike I know you’re killing it there with all your USD trades. I understood one thing after all this. If you’re confident in your bias just go for it. Have the guts to just go for it. It’s been a good lesson. Much needed that. I lacked confidence. Great advice by the way from FE about stop loss !

I think I almost know why you’re going long with AUD next week FE against CAD and EUR.

Philip ! I remember last week your setup was much less the same are you getting back in ?

See you guys around later !

I am yeah, although I will mix in AUD and USD as well. I really like shorting AUDCHF from here since its still hovering around the monthly resistance and year high. but I will take my time on that this week though. Yet I wouldn’t be surprised if AUD takes a bit of a beating after such a strong week.

So, let’s see what the COT Report tells us this week. Very important that the percentile factors and net positions will always show the non-commercial speculators vs. data from the previous week:

[B]AUD[/B]: 69.26% vs. 65.80%. Net positions: 36 574 vs. 29 546.

[B]CAD[/B]: 54.76% vs. 62.83%. Net positions: 7 281 vs. 17 998. This is a big change to the downside.

[B]CHF[/B]: 22.17% vs. 18.83%. Net positions: -15 492 vs. -17 359. Small positive difference, most likely has to do only with geopolitical risk.

[B]GBP[/B]: 55.06% vs. 58.40%. Net positions: 13 287 vs. 18 799. Open interest (quite a large difference): 237 291 vs. 223 719. It is like a falling stone.

[B]NZD[/B]: 77.90% vs. 79.97%. Net positions: 12 032 vs. 13 429.
[B]
EUR[/B]: 22.49% vs. 22.51%. Net positions: -138 825 vs. -126 017.

[B]JPY[/B]: 14.58% vs. 11.79%. Net positions: -87 271 vs. -81 097.

[B]USD Index[/B]: it has not been so high since a year!

In many currencies the open interest has increased by a lot. If you have BRL in your charting program, you could look at what happened because there was a huge difference between the last 2 weeks (unfortunately it is not in my charting software).

Hi guys,

analysis, speeches, reports and sentiment. At the end it comes down to the hard pips. Here is a short summary of my trades and what I plan to do next week.

[B]Evaluation[/B]
The trades worked out quite good last week. I managed to monitor my older trades and made profit from all of them. As I wrote earlier the one critic was that there was more pips in the trades than what I made. Regarding to HUF pairs. Unfortunately nothing new. I still did something. I made hedging on them. When USD got weaker on the end of the week I took a larger USD long position vs. AUD, NZD and CAD. The pure purpose is hedging. They tend to move like HUF. The best would be for me a short-term risk on sentiment, winning with HUF and losing with USD and right after closing my HUF trades then risk off sentiment and bring my USD trades back down. I guess this is more of a dream than reality. I got to the point though where hedging is needed and the USD pullback gave a great opportunity for that.

[B]Trading oppotunities for next week[/B]
As usually I make a difference between short- and long-term trades.

1. [I]Short-term trades[/I]:
    [B]USD long vs. all other currencies[/B], depending in which pair do I see a good chance and setup to jump in. At current market conditions I do not think I need much explanation here.

2. [I]Long-term trades[/I]:
    This is more interesting. I have written more times last week that I stay away from JPY (I still do) and that I do not understand much of the happening with AUD. It seemed strong unlike other comms and even USD had a tough time to make gains! Philips video was great and I do not like to make trades based on other’s opinion but at made sense. So actually I already jumped in for next week’s trades:-) I do agree what Philip said, that AUD can retrace but a weekend gap can also go into my direction and never look back. So I entered the trades which are:

[B]AUD/NZD long
AUD/CAD long
EUR/AUD short[/B]

It makes sense to describe my decisions. I have to say I really like the setups for a couple of reasons:

1. In long-term trades [I]carry trade[/I] on my side is something quite nice to have :slight_smile: This is true vs. CAD and EUR, NZD is small minus in this perpective.

2. As you all know I like to have [I]strong vs. weak setups[/I]. Cruising through the currencies I like these 3 the most. NZD is taking hits continually, CAD is struggling because of oil and bad reports, and EUR (we all know). The fundamentals just support me here. And [I]fundamentals[/I] are very important as I think they confirm these setups. I do think if all three trades turn against me (I see most risk in Chinese reports) then I do think the losses will not be so huge because my countercurrencies are weak so I can get out with relative small losses.

3. Although I could choose more pairs, I stick to these three. As we wrote GBP might get stronger so I left it out. USD is strong, I left it out. So what is with JPY and CHF? They do look weak, right? In my opinion at least. However [I]geopolitical risk and risk off sentiment[/I] is choppy and I do see a huge risk there as we have seen how strong JPY gets within some hours. Also CHF. This means I could lose hundreds of pips in no time against these two. I rather just leave them out. I do not have to trade all the pairs. Too much risk. And my setups has the strength exactly because of geo risk! That was a main consideration of entering the trades. If you look at CAD and NZD they are also comm currencies like AUD. So if risk off sentiment comes than vs. CAD and NZD there is not much affect and I am most likely to lose vs. EUR only.

4. Last but not least [I]COT Report[/I] is on my side. I did not know this fact when I entered my trades but looking at the fact net positions of non-commercials were actually decreasing for all three countercurrencies. The COT Report does give me a confirmation and makes me more confident about the trades.

Funny that Philip wrote about his AUD long setups yesterday exactly the same time when I entered the trades! That is the last point but an important one which gives me confidence.

Last week I was the last of posting COT analysis and trade setups, this week I am the first. I wait for your analysis and setups.

It would be also nice when you write your opinion about the setups, then you guys do not only write if you agree but I would really like to see the possible and not counted risks in my trades. I want to see the real picture of my trades from different points of view and not dreaming of making thousands of pips. I also find it important right on the beginning like Philip said and I mentioned: I do believe the trades can turn next week against me because of lately strong AUD but I have decided when the trades are invalid and where I close them. If Mike posts next weeks that AUD is weak, I will not get very disappointed as the big picture shows me that in 2-3-4 weeks the setups should actually do work.

Now I am tired and go running. See you guys later.

Hey guys, how about some stats.
We’ll start out with what happened this week.

Pips against everyone.

USD: +686
AUD: +678
CAD: +332
NZD: -123
CHF: -219
GBP: -318
EUR: -519
JPY : -554

Comms took the Majors for a ride.
Monday///Tuesday///Wednesday///Thursday///Friday
C +4/////M+3////////Even 0 /////////C+11//////C+11

Here’s something maybe you can use. This is this weeks results. Weekly candle open to close.
Pips.

USD: +132 against comms
AUD: +560 against majors
CAD: +297 against majors
NZD: +23 against majors
CHF: -86 against comms
GBP: -293 against comms
EUR: -344 against comms
JPY: -244 against comms

Now if you simply add up the majors, and then add up the comms, (2 teams), and pit them against each other.
The results are: Comms =+880 Majors =-835
USD is strongest Major.
AUD is strongest Comm.
If you look at the team thing, man…the USD is the only strong one in that camp. This week was like a battle between USD and AUD. Then CAD comes in next strongest. I think that is because on Friday they were on top. And that was because of the economic news for them. (I’m sure we’re gonna have a conversation about that! Bad CPI reading, but GOOD retail sales reading). And btw, friday was all about the comms, first second and third place belong to them. This is what happened this week by ranking.

Monday///Tuesday///Wednesday///Thursday///Friday
GBP //////USD/////////USD/////////NZD//////////CAD
USD//////AUD/////////AUD/////////CAD//////////NZD
CAD//////EUR//////////GBP/////////CHF//////////AUD
AUD//////CHF//////////CAD/////////AUD/////////JPY
EUR///////JPY///////////CHF////////EUR/////////USD
JPY //////NZD///////////EUR////////USD/////////GBP
NZD//////CAD///////////NZD////////JPY/////////CHF
CHF //////GBP///////////JPY//////////GBP////////EUR

Interesting is that the AUD was not on top one day. Actually on monday USD and AUD were tied. In fact while I’m here, on monday the top 5 (GBP,USD,CAD,AUD,EUR) were all tied that day. +4 -0 3
Then AUD was right behind USD the next 2 days. Was higher on the 4th and 5th days. That’s how they got on top.

I want to get this out to you now. I’ll have more stuff coming soon. Give some perspective on the M/C runs.

Mike

Hi Mike,

interesting. I did not recognize until yesterday how strong AUD was. What is even better that they have not on a single day but made a continuous and slowly run. That shows strength to me and not choppy moves.

Also interesting the CAD. Never thought that they can win a day. And especially as you said too, the news were mixed. Actually CPI is more important than Retails Sales and it came out negative. Hmmm that is hard to add…

Poor EUR go beat up quite badly.

What I do not get, how come your results did not add up to 0 will the pips?

Waiting for more stuff to come :slight_smile:

As rookie is still sleeping hear is something to read:
Germany’s Merkel says wants to find ‘path to peace’ over Ukraine crisis | Reuters

Hey FE…
Yeah, I don’t know. Not an adding error. I think it’s probably a divergent thing.

Here’s my updated trading plan for the coming week. I rely on five methods of entry: 1) multiple time-frame momentum over cross (I have my own indicator for that, RSI and EMA. I wait for a cross over of weekly daily and 4h time frames into the direction of my bias for entry.) 2) Support and resistance: I look for divergence towards my bias on a monthly/weekly support//resistance level for entry. 3) Harmonic patterns. 4) 18 SMA and 200 SMA; I look for a two day close above/below the daily 18 SMA for entry in the direction of the movement. Or (the stronger signal) I look for a bounce off the 200 weekly SMA). 5) Break out of a 55 day high or low (turtle trading). Whichever method presents itself first I enter it with a small amount, then add to my position as other entry signals become valid.

[B]CADCHF (bearish bias)[/B] Important when I say my bias is bearish does not mean that CAD is weaker than CHF. It just means that I want to look for that potential unexpected reversal (remember how everyone was longing EUR like crazy in May when Draghi pulled the plug on it in a statement, That’s the kind of change I’m looking for).

No signal yet. Closest thing is the 18 SMA or momentum crossover.

[B]CHFPJPY[/B] awaiting bullish crossover on daily chart for entry.

[B]USDCHF[/B] I’m actually very bearish on this, price already touched the 200 sma (w) and held. There is an ABCD pattern that would complete at 0.9179

[B]AUDNZD[/B] buying at 1.111. I’m also awaiting a bullish crossover on the 4h chart. So whichever comes first I’m taking.

[B]USDCAD[/B] buying at 1.09855. I’m also awaiting a bullish crossover on the 4h and daily chart.

[B]USDJPY[/B] I actually entered this trade two weeks ago at 102.3. Sadly I had to close it because I changed my account with one that had storage (10 days without swaps) and it flew to touch 104. The trade remains valid to me though and a bullish crossover would have me entering again.

Hi Philip,

I see you have a very bullish bias on CHF. We will then see how it works!

Besides CHF trades I like all setups. Something is not 100% clear. You have presented your entry methods. Is it always enough to fulfill 1 of the 5 points to enter the trade? Or you need more of them? Because in case you want all 5 of them to happen at the same time then probably you would never trade. :slight_smile:

One suggestion if I may. In the future can you please highlight behind the pair (which is already bold and that is good) with bold also the word “long” or “short”? Because then I have a basic overview from all your trades at the same time. Thanks!

Good luck to you! I am interested on your CHF trades!

For my entry technique, I trade the first signal that comes my way. However, no matter how strong the signal or how big my account is that first trade is only 0.1 lot. Then once a second entry signal presents itself I enter it with a lot size that equates my risk to 0.5% of my account. The more successful the trade the more entries that get triggered and the more money I make. Each one of those methods usually present me with a 2:1 reward to risk (actually much more than that). So this improves my odds greatly because not only is each method a 2:1, but successful trades usually get 3-5 and losers would get only 1. So I’m magnifying my profits even further. (ex: I take the firs 0.1 lot its a loser and I closed. I take a 2nd trade with 0.1 its a winner and I make profit not just cover my losses since its 2:1. But not only do I make a 2:1, because since the trade is a winner a second entry presents itself which is 2:1 and a third one and so on.

As for my CHF trades; commercials have reached an extreme position two week ago. Last week they cut their longs (meaning price is not as lucrative any more) and started increasing their selling. This took place in this Friday’s report as well. You also reported that non-commercials added to their longs from an extreme position. That normally, although we don’t know when exactly, will lead to an increase in the value of CHF in the future if their trend continue. Since I’m only trading 0.1 lots and an entry signal presents itself then why not.

I always give that example because I consider it like my little success story; everyone was buying the Euro when Draghi was speaking on that dreaded month of May. I actually decided to sell it at 1.3970. I potentially risked between 100-500 pips since the projection was to eventually reach 1.45. But at 0.1 lots why not, what is a 100 or 500 dollars to my account then. The money I made of that trade alone could keep me profitable against all the losses I made.

We talk now about how the Euro is struggling as an economy and that Draghi will look to take the currency down. But the economy was poor in May when the EUR value was going up, its disinflation that pushed the value of Euro up. What if in the next couple of months we see really abysmal CPI data and Draghi saying there will be no QE in 2014. Add to that may be bad employment data in the US, and wouldn’t you say the EUR value would go up? may be not, but why not risk 0.1 lots on it? because even if they don’t work…my other trades would back me up.

Hi Philip,

ok, I get your thinking. But if you trade CHF in many setups and they all go long then the 0.1 lot size will be also a lot more.

Maybe if a trade goes in your direction big time then you can introduce to us your scaling in technique live!

Do you also present your commercials analysis and findings? Are there any extreme levels?